• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Scotch!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, so my favorite liquor is Tequila, but my second is Scotch.
I was in Saint Louis last week, and was at a bar that had lots of Scotch. I saw one I never tried, an Islay Scotch - Ardbeg 10 year old.
If you like Scotch, you MUST try this one. It is now my favorite Scotch.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
good man. a man who drinks scotch is a stand up man. or an evil doctor. what are you? :yum::yum:

but ill stick with my Johnnie Walker Black, thanks :thumb: i fear change :unsure:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Do NOT fear change! Think about all those guys that used to clean the streets of horse shit...

Ya gotta try Ardbeg 10 yo. You'll never go back to JW, not even green, gold, or blue.

I am an evil stand up man, that needs a doctor.

Oh,, and I drink my scotch neat. Can't imagine drinking great liquor watered down or diluted with anything. Heck, when I have a martini, the vermouth goes into the shaker, swished around, poured out, and the Saphire goes in. Though I do like them a bit dirty and two olives.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Scotch drinker myself. Haven't tried Arderg. My favorites - Lagavulin, Caol Ila 12 over the 18, then the 18, Glenlivet Nadura Cask Strength.
If you get to Pittsburg, there is a restaurant-on the top of the hill that has one of the two best selections I have found. Don't remember the name.

Used to drink Sapphire, now a confirmed Citadel drinker.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Jimbo - Ardbeg, not Ardberg. Very peaty / smoky. You may or may not like it. Sounds like you've had some great Scotch, so chances are you would at least find it interesting.

Tastes are funny; I've had Citadel but still like the Saphire. Maybe it's time for me to try Citadel again.

Years ago, I could not think of drinking liquor without 7up or orange juice mixed with. Now, that would be a nightmare drinking what I used to drink. Sunrises, Amaretto&OJ, Scotch&7. YUK!

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Try their Nadura sometime. 120 proof, so you might want to add just a skosh of the branch.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jimbo - Ardbeg, not Ardberg. Very peaty / smoky. You may or may not like it. Sounds like you've had some great Scotch, so chances are you would at least find it interesting.

Tastes are funny; I've had Citadel but still like the Saphire. Maybe it's time for me to try Citadel again.

Years ago, I could not think of drinking liquor without 7up or orange juice mixed with. Now, that would be a nightmare drinking what I used to drink. Sunrises, Amaretto&OJ, Scotch&7. YUK!
You, sir, are correct, it's Ardbeg. Have not tried it. I generally like smoky scotches.
I like Citadel as it has a cleaner less herby taste to me. I use Sapphire for summer drinks.
Checked the Va ABC list. It is available here, although I have not seen it. I'll get them to bring it in.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
mmmmmmm scotch.
I love islay single malts.
my experience has been that most scotch under 10 yo (years old if you're rusty... :D ) is a bit sharp and over 18 you're paying for the label (can't taste the difference between 18 & 22, so why shell out twice as much?)
and I'm part of the "neat" school of drinking as well.
OTOH, you can both have all the gin you want - I don't like cedar in the pasture, why would I want to drink it?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Scotch?
There is no other...

620003x.jpg

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm with you, PG. That is the bottle that I have open as we speak. Good stuff.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
At last, a thread that's near and dear to my heart .... Scotch.

I used to be a Laphraoig drinker and I have tried Ardbeg but these days I can't handle the more peaty, smoky Scotch, they give me real bad indigestion for some reason. Now I'm a more middle of the road drinker, it's either Johnny Walker Black or Chivas in blends or the MacAllan in a single malt. There's nothing wrong with a Glenlivet or Glenfiddich either. Another consequence of getting old is that I can't drink it neat any more. It has to have ice in it and then you wait until the ice has melted a little bit before sipping. The first time my father saw me put ice in my Scotch he shook his head and I thought he was going to cry. He thought that God was punishing him for some reason by totally corrupting his only son. :smile:

As for the gin, you guys can have my share. I never could drink the stuff, no matter what you mixed it with or tried to disguise it as. My Lord, I'd rather be sober than have to drink GIN.:doh::doh::doh::doh:

SShepherd

Frank, go find some called "Highland Park"

even though it's made in the orkneys, it's similar to Macallan-but a little cheaper.

I never could handle the peaty stuff, laphroig/tallisker.

Drinking to much at a highland games= bad times

I seem to remember something about bluepaint, being VERY cold, and not having on any shoes ( I was about a mile from my tent) when I come to:ermm:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Frank, go find some called "Highland Park"

even though it's made in the orkneys, it's similar to Macallan-but a little cheaper

Drinking to much at a highland games= bad times

I seem to remember something about bluepaint, being VERY cold, and not having on any shoes ( I was about a mile from my tent) when I come to:ermm:

I've heard of Highland Park but never tried it.

As for the Highland Games .... I have no personal experience of that (cough, cough) but my grandson, on his 18th birthday, on his way back to the campground after celebrating at the Games thought that he would vault over a 3 foot high stone wall only to find that it was 6 foot high on the other side. Lost his contacts and his cell phone and woke up the next morning with a broken arm. He told me that he wasn't feeling much pain the night before but it hurt like hell in the morning. Inexperienced drinkers. All us older guys know that the secret is not to sober up until you get to the emergency room. That way they can pump your stomach and set your broken bones at the same time. :wink::wink: