• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Portaband suggestions

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a couple of thousand feet of oil field drill pipe 2 3/8 inch that has the plastic liner in it & I need to cut up in shorter sections . I dont want to use my torch as I heard the fumes will make me sick , I have an abrasive cutoff saw but it goes thru the blades to quick .

So just wondering if anyone has any input on a decent but reasonable priced portable bandsaw that I can take out to the pipe to cut it , I,ve got electric fairlly close so thats not an issue . Thanks in advance . :biggrin:

RobsanX

Gods gift to common sense
SUPER Site Supporter
We have a Milwaukee that works pretty well. I've not used it for any kind of mass production though.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Rob , how is it on going through blades . This stuff has some scale & rust on the outside not sure how quick it would eat up blades .

I sold some to a guy awhile back & he brought his out & it sliced through it like butter really slow turning but I was impressed at how quicklly it cut through it . I didn,t see what brand his was & the blade kept popping off but it was an old one not sure what kind of shape it was in . :smile:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Word on the street is that the Harbor Freight ones work well if you buy a quality blade for them. I don't have one but that is what I heard.

But if you are going through a lot of stuff then I would probably get a name brand.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Seems like I remember a Thread on exactly this same thing a couple years ago . Anyone know how to find it ???It may have some helpful information .

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Word on the street is that the Harbor Freight ones work well if you buy a quality blade for them. I don't have one but that is what I heard.

But if you are going through a lot of stuff then I would probably get a name brand.

Thanks PB , I,ll check that out , theres actually a harbor freight close to where my wife works & I,d rather not mess with shipping .

This will really be a one time project for needing one once all of this pipes cut up & I,m not in a hurry to get it all done at once , I,m kind of a make a few cuts , drink a beer & make a few more cuts type of guy :w00t2: so I,d rather go cheap then high quality .

I,ll look into the better blades as well . Thanks guys . :biggrin:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i have a dewalt multi material chop saw it uses a blade that looks like a wood blade with carbide tips you can't drop the blade in a regular chop saw because the dewalt saw spins slower i do a lot of fabrication oround our shop and replace a blade about every 1 1/2 years once you have used one tou will never use your carbide wheel again they cut fast and the blade lasts for ever

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
i have a dewalt multi material chop saw it uses a blade that looks like a wood blade with carbide tips you can't drop the blade in a regular chop saw because the dewalt saw spins slower i do a lot of fabrication oround our shop and replace a blade about every 1 1/2 years once you have used one tou will never use your carbide wheel again they cut fast and the blade lasts for ever

Thanks Don , I looked it up online & it looks like one heck of a saw , as bad as I,d like to have one I,m getting down to where I dont have much need for the one I have .

The problem I have using the one I have is more that its awkward to use the chop saw because of the weight & length ( 32 foot ) of the pipe I need to cut . But I cant say I might not be able to find more projects to where I really need that saw :brows: .

RobsanX

Gods gift to common sense
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Rob , how is it on going through blades . This stuff has some scale & rust on the outside not sure how quick it would eat up blades .

I sold some to a guy awhile back & he brought his out & it sliced through it like butter really slow turning but I was impressed at how quicklly it cut through it . I didn,t see what brand his was & the blade kept popping off but it was an old one not sure what kind of shape it was in . :smile:

I don't use it enough to wear out the blades, but I've been fairly aggressive with it, and I've never had one pop off.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Greenlee I have owned for 33 years. Good blades are essential. I cut a lot of schedule 40 3" steel pipe with it and am on my third blade. Lennox blades are pretty good.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a Milwaukee at work. I don't remember it eating blades that much. We used either Milwaukee blades or Lenox.

I have a lot of Greenlee stuff and it all has held up well although I haven't had one of their saws.

Jim

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks a lot for all the input Ya,ll , much apreciated . I brought up the harbor freight link & my wife seen it & said she thought the local attwoods farm supply place had one that looked to be better quality , so she,s going to check it out tommorow . I asked her to check out for quality replacement blades as well . I,ll let Ya,ll know the outcome . Thanks again :biggrin:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You might check the local pawn shops too.

I've been able to pick up some good tools there over the years. Make sure they will agree to a full return if it isn't satisfactory.

Jim

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
You might check the local pawn shops too.

I've been able to pick up some good tools there over the years. Make sure they will agree to a full return if it isn't satisfactory.

Jim

Another good point Jim , I hadn,t even thought about them & I bet they have some really nice equipment these days . Thanks :biggrin:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you all that live down in the states all have rentaloutfits if it's a one time use how about renting one i know it's not as fun as owning it is a lot easyer on the pockets

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
you all that live down in the states all have rentaloutfits if it's a one time use how about renting one i know it's not as fun as owning it is a lot easyer on the pockets

Another good idea Don , but as slow as I am it might not be much cheaper , I dont like to rush into things :yum: .

Depending on how much they are at the farm supply place , I,m betting I,ll have one & extra blades when My wife gets home from shopping , cuz I put it on the list :biggrin: Thanks again

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter

Just wanted to say thanks PB , My wife wasn,t able to find one at the farm supply place . So she got me the one from harbor freight & a quality replacement blade for less then 100 bucks & I gota say you were right . Impresive saw for the money & cuts that ole rusty drill pipe like butter & I haven,t even used up the blade that came on it yet in 50 or so cuts . :biggrin: