• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Advise on rototiller

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Honda Harmony that quit on my yesterday. All indications are it's the electronic control box. Not having much luck when I do a internet search for parts so I'm thinking of getting a new tiller and work on this one when I have more time (the weeds aren't stopping...).

I'm thinking about another Honda but before I get it, does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations on any small tillers? Troy Built used to make nice machines but not so sure after being bought out by MTD. When I first bought the Honda, I also considered the Mantis. I opted for the Honda since it's a 4-stroke and it's not like running a chainsaw on a stick.

Thoughts?

PS. Anyone know where to get Honda small engine parts?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump.

I don't recall what I did to fix it but the aforementioned Honda is working better then ever. I don't recall replacing any parts but it just started working again. I also found they had the throttle adjusted wrong and I was only getting up to about 50% of the RPM's I should have. It screams now.

I'm going to put in a new garden this year at the house. My garden last year was at a friends and although 1.5 miles away, I didn't get there often enough to properly tend to the garden.

Right now, I'm planning on about 1500 sq/ft. That's going to be a bit much for that little Honda tiller so I want to get a rear-tine larger one. I had thought about a 3-point version but I want to be able to A) fence in the garden and B) use the tiller between the rows.

I don't care for MTD brand products so I'm leaning away from a Troy Bilt. I need some suggestions on good brands/models. What say you?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I just made one wall of my garden fence removable. Then I can back in the 3pt tiller and let her rip. ;)

I've bought Troy Bilt in recent years and find the quality to be OK. I think they are the MTD premium brand. I'm not that picky though. For a walk behind I'd be happy with a Craftsman as long as it wasn't going to be abused.

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
The key to a tiller is to use a rear tine machine. That'll save save your arms and back. The strength of the Troy Built is the gear box, which MTD has wisely kept. I sold those things for three years and the only complaints I heard were from people who tried to go cheap and buy one too small for the job. They were never satisfied. Go to Lowes and get the Troy Built Bronco; it'll handle a garden of your size and last for years.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Troy Bilt Bronco or Husqvarna? (Both at Lowe's)? They're pretty close in price but the Husqvarna has a Honda engine instead of a Tecumseh.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just made one wall of my garden fence removable. Then I can back in the 3pt tiller and let her rip. ;)
I'm thinking about doing the same. The current plan is to go with a raised bed with 2x12" for the perimeter.

I'm having a big excavator (same as the one pictured below) come in and peal off a little at a time (as I believe it's clay and rocks pretty close to the surface). If it's a mess down there, I'll just haul dirt in. If it's clean, I may stick to ground level and can then consider using a tractor for tilling.

1997_John_Deere_190E_Excavator.jpg

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our garden this year will be much bigger than in the past. It will be about 100ft by 175 feet. I have a 57" tiller for behind the tractor and then we have one of the really small Mantis tillers for in between the rows. I wished I had a Troy built one for in between the rows. A fence would be nice too as I have not come up with anything I can afford.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I turn mine over every 2 years with the backhoe and then blast it with a 5ft. pto driven tiller on the JD. I found the best thing for my heavy clay ground was putting a ten wheeler load of sand scattered on top and then tilling it in. It has done wonders to loosen the soil and improve drainage. Need lots of lime to help with the clay as well as the wood ashes I add all winter long. I have an old merry tiller front tine and it does a good job now that I added the sand. I also have a Sears mini tiller for between the rows to keep the weeds down.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 7' Maschio to get things started that I use behind my 81 HP PTO tractor. Then, believe it or not, I have a (sit down) Cub Cadet from Home Depot with a 190 Honda engine. It has forward and reverse and the tines turn either direction. My sister has used it exclusively for the last 5 years to do her 1/2 acre garden and it hasn't missed a lick. She puts hours and hours on it and I run it between the rows in my wife's garden.

Her neighbor has an older tiller that is really expensive. I forget the brand, but it cost something like $3000 about 15 years ago. Anyway, he borrowed my tiller from my sister because something in his gear box went out. Since it was going to cost him about as much as my Honda powered Cub Cadet cost to fix his, he is going to go buy a Cub Cadet at Home Depot tomorrow.

I have almost no experience with little (like 18" wide, what mine is) except for this Honda powered Cub Cadet. I think this is the last year under warranty, so it'll probably break. Oh well, it probably has about 1000 hours on it now (seriously). I suppose if it broke I'd just go buy another.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking about doing the same. The current plan is to go with a raised bed with 2x12" for the perimeter.

I'm having a big excavator (same as the one pictured below) come in and peal off a little at a time (as I believe it's clay and rocks pretty close to the surface). If it's a mess down there, I'll just haul dirt in. If it's clean, I may stick to ground level and can then consider using a tractor for tilling.

1997_John_Deere_190E_Excavator.jpg

That's not "big". My excavator is one size below that one. It does happen to be the handiest piece of equipment I have around though. I can almost, but not quite do 150% of the work in 8 hours with that as can be done with a 580 Case backhoe. I have tractors and track loaders if I need a bucket. That excavator definitely puts me in the position of never needing (or wanting) a backhoe again.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter

I have clay soil too. I just put a really thick layer of cow poo on it each year and till it in. Clay soil has lots of nutrients in it. It just needs the "mulch" to loosen it up.

If you get your cow poo on now and do some good tilling passes when its dry out then you will have some good dirt for growing stuff.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have clay soil too. I just put a really thick layer of cow poo on it each year and till it in. Clay soil has lots of nutrients in it. It just needs the "mulch" to loosen it up.
Nutrients or minerals?

I like clay for horseshoe pits, but not much for gardens. I do have 500# of lime, 200# of nitrogen and 200# of 19-19-19 ready to hit it once it's loosened. I'll add a few dump truck loads of manure just to make sure I have flies hanging around...