• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Kewl New toy.......errr...Tool

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
I've needed one of these off & on for awhile & was too cheap to shell out $300 to the tool truck guy, so I took a chance & snagged one of these off Ebay:

Non-Contact Temp Gun Handheld Laser IR Thermometer

I needed to diagnose some malfunctioning gauges on a diesel end loader & this was just what I needed to determine actual engine temps. It actually is a fairly well built unit for the $$ spent. Here's a link to the one I bought:

Non-Contact Temp Gun

Attachments

• HDE-B01-A.jpg
    HDE-B01-A.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 59

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tomlescoequip, be sure to read the instruction manual well.

I have one that I use for home inspections. The closer you are to the item you want to measure the temperature of, the more accurate the temp gun will be.

For example: in taking the temperature of a heating register, if I'm 6 feet away I'll get a different reading than if I'm 1 foot away. Apparently the temp gun reads the temperature in a cone, and the further away you are, the wider the cone is, therefore, the less accurate the reading.

If I'm only a foot away from the heating register, I get a pretty accurate reading as the cone only covers most of the heating register. If I'm 6 feet away, the cone is about 3 feet around, so not only am I taking the temp of the register, but anything else that is in the 3 foot circle. This gives a much less accurate temperature reading.

In my example: if the heating register is in the floor, the floor is usually much colder than the register, so the gun shows the averages of everything within the 3 foot circle when I only want the temperature of the register.

I hope all this makes sense. I know what I want to say, just have trouble putting it into words.

Bob

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Thanks Bob.

I'm using it within 1-2' on the machine I bought it to check, so I should be OK.
I took it home last evening & used it to get heat output temps on my pellet stove so I can compare differences in pellet brands I have available in my area.

I'm sure I'll find some other uses for it as time goes on.

Tom