• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Budget Shed Build

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Considering building a budget shed for the house. Just something small to keep stuff off the porch, but still dry. Have no idea where I would go with it, or even if I'm gonna do it. But if I do, I plan to start with this skid for the floor. It's about 4' by 6ish'. It's strong enough to hold a good bit, and I am figuring to cover the floor with roofing paper to try to keep bugs from coming up through, then just toss some scrap carpet over it. Not sure what route I'm gonna go with for the walls, ect. Probably try and find some scrap plywood from freecycle, CL, or the like.

Anyone taken on a project like this? Tips or pics would be cool.

Attachments

• SKID.jpg
    SKID.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 73

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Can Ya get another pallet just like it for the roof? If so I wouldnt even worry about much for wall studs . Just use 7 -1/16ths OSB for the walls using sheetrock screws and liquid nails to hold the OSB to the sides of the pallets top & bottom , After its up you can allways add 2x2 s to each corner for extra support and add a slanted roof on the upper pallet when your done .

Just use a good exterior paint on th osb and it will hold up fine in the weather . I'm assuming you would be putting a door in the front for a doorway , that frame would be sufficient IMO to keep everything square . Thats just the way an ole redneck would do it .

Should be able to get everything Ya need perty cheap from CL except the screws and liquid nails but thats assuming you have access to a power drill , I use a cordless for screws myself . :wink:

Oh yea dont forget to pull a permit and have it inspected through each stage . :whistling:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Can Ya get another pallet just like it for the roof? If so I wouldnt even worry about much for wall studs . Just use 7 -1/16ths OSB for the walls using sheetrock screws and liquid nails to hold the OSB to the sides of the pallets top & bottom , After its up you can allways add 2x2 s to each corner for extra support and add a slanted roof on the upper pallet when your done .

Just was figuring on a couple 2x4s for support, nothing extensive. These pallets are few and far between that come in here, and I'm not driving all around town in search of another :yum:

Just use a good exterior paint on th osb and it will hold up fine in the weather . I'm assuming you would be putting a door in the front for a doorway , that frame would be sufficient IMO to keep everything square . Thats just the way an ole redneck would do it .
That's how IM doin it :yum:
Should be able to get everything Ya need perty cheap from CL except the screws and liquid nails but thats assuming you have access to a power drill , I use a cordless for screws myself . :wink:
I don't have a drill, though it probably wouldnt be hard to obtain one. Was just gonna bang some good nails in there.
Oh yea dont forget to pull a permit and have it inspected through each stage . :whistling:

LOL :yum:

loboloco

Use 2x 4 in the corners and screw or nail osb or plywood . For the roof, make one side two feet taller than the other and nail a couple of 2 x4's for support. slap some ply and shingles on and voila!! For the door put hinges on one of the sheets of ply or osb and reinforce around the edges with 1x4.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Quick and eazy,hope it helps :smile:

Attachments

• shed-construction-diagram.gif
    shed-construction-diagram.gif
    58.1 KB · Views: 70

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry Rusty. I'm going to play devils advocate on this one.

Building a shed because you found a pallet isn't something I'd do.

I'd start with deciding what I wanted to store, add some buffer space then design and build.

That pallet wood isn't treated. Left to the elements, it'll only last a few years.

A consideration may be to sell or give away that pallet to someone who needs it for their woodshed or as a target holder and go get a deck box on CL or a box store.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I don't need it to last a long time, and I want to do this for as few pennies as possible. All I am storing in it is gonna be sidewalk salt, a couple shovels, and potting soil, along with maybe a folding chair or two. I could also sealcoat it for better durability, but it doesn't really matter to me. All I want to do is unclutter the porch a bit.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would invest in 2 pieces of Pressure Treated lumber to set under that new shed base. It will keep the base from rotting out prematurely.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
That's a nice pallet. I'd scam a bunch of those and screw them together and then hit Home Depot/Lowes and look in the returned paint area. Throw some outdoor paint on the wood and some roll roof or a pack of shingles and you would be good to go.

If you can put some PT lumber under the base then it would probably last longer than you would expect.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
That sounds about right, PB. Cheap, simple, and will last longer than I need it to. I think I will do that, Bob.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I thought about editing your post to insert my name, but you beat me to it!!!

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Meh. I really would like it smaller than that. Thanks for the post, but I am basically still screwing around with the idea. At the point, I really can't see where I would put one anyway! :yum:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just buy another Taurus and put it on 4 cinder blocks and throw the stuff in the trunk.:w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
i have made a few like the one in my picture....the pallet is of the perfect type for this type of thing....easy to make even for someone like you Rusty.

just make it as big or small as you like.....

Attachments

• 1092-633918912495000000_cm-scale_w-800_h-710_q-80.jpg
    1092-633918912495000000_cm-scale_w-800_h-710_q-80.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 30

jwstewar

i have made a few like the one in my picture....the pallet is of the perfect type for this type of thing....easy to make even for someone like you Rusty.

just make it as big or small as you like.....

That doesn't exactly look like it was low budget.:whistling:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
That doesn't exactly look like it was low budget.:whistling:

well i work with timber and have plenty left over from most jobs so to me non expensive....and if rusty is planning on using pallets or re-claimed timber of some kind he can make it workable.

i have a example up the garden...was used to house the pet rabbits but now a bike hut.....simple yet in-expensive.....i never did block in the old door...another day tomorrow:yum::yum::yum:this thing is a good 10 years old now.

Attachments

• SDC10056.jpg
    SDC10056.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 19
  • SDC10057.jpg
    SDC10057.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 19

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey look! Galvy's house! You better close that in for teh next time the wife sends you to there for wearing her clothes.