• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

looking for my next truck

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm shopping for a new truck . Currently I own an 03 psd 6.0 that I bought in Dec. 02 .
Contrary to some opinions ,it's been very reliable . I'm open to any of the 3 diesel brands of trucks (GM , Dodge ,or Ford ).
The new GM LBZ engine looks interesting ,especially with the new 6 speed auto trans . The Dodge with it's Cummins is the benchmark of diesels . But I wonder if they'll get a better trans in the near future . The 07 Ford is a big question mark . Suposedly a 6.4 twin turbo .
Any one care to share their thoughts and experiences that will help me to make an informed decision ? Thanks , John

LarryRB

Dodge supposedly has made major chainges to their automatic trans... I have the 6 sp with an 01 H.O. Diesel. I was afraid of the automatic because of our steep hills, ups and downs. Several of the new (05) Dodges are in the same town as I, and are pulling their trailers through these ups and downs without any problems so far,,

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Larry , Thanks for the response . I know that Dodge has Gone to the 48re auto trans , which is a big improvement over the older design . I was just hoping they'd go one step better nand go to a 5 speed auto.
As to their manual trans ... They now only offer the 6 speed G56 with something called a Dual mass fly wheel . I wish that they would have stayed with the NV 5600 . That is one bullet proof trans . My SIL has a dodge 1500 with all the bells and whistles . In short it's a very impressive machine .
I'm looking at the 2500 or 3500 srw as a replacement for what I have now.
I just hope that for 07 they get a better choice of transmissions . The truck itself seems well built and sturdy . the engine itself can't be faulted . The differential is an 11.5 AAM so no doubt about it's strength.
So far the Doge seems like the best choice out there . But I've still got a lot of time to make a final decision. John

LarryRB

I'm too lazy to go outside stumbling in the dark to find the papers., I ordered my own truck. My in laws were Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep and class 8 tractor trailer/dump dealers... They sold out almost ten years ago, The guy that has it now HAD TO sell the family members one vehicle at cost.. So I lucked out, sat down and ordered my own... I have a 2500 HD although Chrysler does not "brand" as heavy three quarter tons.... I'm at 9000 GVW, 6 spd trans, forget which transfer case, largest springs/tires/shocks. 1100 pound class 4 hitch, sway bars front and rear that are an inch and a quarter or bigger, every single option they offered but electric seats and sunroof. I have everything else for the model year... Been a great truck with two exceptions,,, I lost a muffler due to premature rusting and bought a 4" stainless turbo to rear bumper, and once already replaced the brake pads... We have hills like San Fransisco, and when hauling with an already heavy trailer and L 48 TLB that bumps 8000# by its self, I have to be a mile ahead of myself at all times. Only have 49000 on it since early 01.