• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Secret to hooking up p-traps?

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
What is it? For the life of me, I can't hook one up without it leaking. The latest one is leaking around both compression rings that attach the downspout extender. So what's the secret to hooking these things up without them leaking? Do I need to make a sacrifice to the plumbing gods or something? Here's the vanity I'm trying to get plumbed:

Attachments

• IMG_1998s.jpg
    IMG_1998s.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 79

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Teflon tape.

Not sure where I would use teflon tape for thin walled pvc compression fittings. The leaks seem to coming from around the nylon washer here:

Attachments

• IMG_1999.JPG
    IMG_1999.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2000.JPG
    IMG_2000.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 77

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I assume you have the plastic washer turned the correct way ? It is beveled on one side to get tighter against the trap extension pipe as you tighten the packing nut .Are you sure it is not leaking from the top at the drain connection to the sink. I have seen it pool where your finger is and the leak was above that at the drain connection to the sink or at the connection where the drain plug is installed .

It is on the back side and would be hard to see if it was leaking .

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
I assume you have the plastic washer turned the correct way ? It is beveled on one side to get tighter against the trap extension pipe as you tighten the packing nut .Are you sure it is not leaking from the top at the drain connection to the sink. I have seen it pool where your finger is and the leak was above that at the drain connection to the sink or at the connection where the drain plug is installed .

It is on the back side and would be hard to see if it was leaking .

Yep, I looked again, and it's the rubber washer between the sink basin and sink stop assembly. Gotta redo that tonight. I hate plumbing. Never been my thang.:doh:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep, I looked again, and it's the rubber washer between the sink basin and sink stop assembly. Gotta redo that tonight. I hate plumbing. Never been my thang.:doh:

You would think with the amount of B.S. lawyers generate they would all be master plumbers. :whistling:

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
You would think with the amount of B.S. lawyers generate they would all be master plumbers. :whistling:

That's just it, PB. I don't generate any B.S., so I have very little experience with this stuff.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Plumber's joint compound putty.

Old school always works.

Messy, nasty white crap that you brush on liberaly. Put it on every part of the joint, washeres, threads, rings. It will not come off your hands, which is why it works.

Plumbers like teflon tape, which is not as messy. Great for fine threads on the clean water side of the system.

But, on the crap side of the system, crappy plumber's compound is the best.

Buy a small bottle as it will not age well in storage.

Clean your hands with mineral spirits.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

I am reminded of a story once about a plumber working on a lawyer's office bathroom. After completeion of the project he submitted a bill.
"$300 bucks for two hours work?" said the attorney. "That's insane. at $150.00 an hour you're charging me what I make an hour!"

To which the plumber responded " yeah, $150.00 an hour,,,that's about what I charged back when I was an attorney."

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
For the strainer basket use plumbers putty. It comes in a little tub container and you just tear out a big chunk and work it in the palm of your hand. Then roll it into a long rope to wrap around the drain and use the rubber washer and nut on the bottom side. Usually you also have a paper or fiber washer to allow the nut to slip on it so the rubber does not kink. As you tighten the nut it will compress the putty and excess will mush out around the drain. When you have the nut tight just take your wet finger and scrape it off using a circular motion around the drain. They make a special putty for stainless faucets as well. I have used it for 40 years without leaks almost all the time. Your pic shows the tailpiece extender is cocked which also leads to leaks. All your drain parts should fit up nice and straight BEFORE they are tightened. This lets the beveled washer do it's job as you tighten the nut. Over-tightening will not fix crooked pipes.:flowers:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3tB34H-Q84"]Kitchen Sink Strainer - YouTube[/ame]

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Guys, from the pictures, isn't he connecting to a bathroom sink? The drain is not a strainer drain but a tailpipe set in manufactured marble. Plumber's putty is too heavy for that install.

That said, he is reporting problems connectingthe tailpipe tothe trap. That joint is all PVC pipe, injuction molded fittings and delron beveled washers.

Plumber's putty will likely work but only temporaily there.

Muleman is correct about alignment but a degree or two off will not effect the joint. Especialy if he uses the pipe seal compound.

I never use teflon tape. It is neater yes, but I find it difficult to apply with my clumsy hands.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use teflon tape on metal threads. Never need it on the plastic threads. That first place you pointed to in the pic is an unusal place for a leak. Like Al suggested I'd guess the washers are on wrong. The beveled edge fits in tight to make it a leak proof seal.

Good luck.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
well if it still leaks after all other suggestions have been used, go with the tried and true silicone caulking...... does it have a slip tube that goes into the wall? you may have to loosen it up to align the fitting that is leaking, better yet,loosen all the fittings, then tighten them up from top to bottom and then the slip fitting into the wall.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Guys, from the pictures, isn't he connecting to a bathroom sink? The drain is not a strainer drain but a tailpipe set in manufactured marble. Plumber's putty is too heavy for that install.

That said, he is reporting problems connectingthe tailpipe tothe trap. That joint is all PVC pipe, injuction molded fittings and delron beveled washers.

Plumber's putty will likely work but only temporaily there.

Muleman is correct about alignment but a degree or two off will not effect the joint. Especialy if he uses the pipe seal compound.

I never use teflon tape. It is neater yes, but I find it difficult to apply with my clumsy hands.

I REALLY appreciate all the input. Franc has summed it up well, and the problem is at the rubber washer under the basin -- it looks like it isn't seated properly, so I'll take it apart tomorrow and reattach. Then rinse. Then repeat. Because I'm pretty sure it will take me several times to do it right.:w00t2:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You still need some putty under the drain before installing it in the bowl. Rubber underneath will distort on uneven cast surface of the sink. I have had to smooth casting defects with a dremel before.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
You still need some putty under the drain before installing it in the bowl. Rubber underneath will distort on uneven cast surface of the sink. I have had to smooth casting defects with a dremel before.

I've installed a few drains before, and used to use plumbers' putty, but the last two I've done called for silicon. I put quite a large bead of silicon caulk under this one.