• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wild, wild auto repair costs. How's this one?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
So, the wife comes home and says she hit a raccoon on the way home the other night. Yeah, right, okay, I'll get to it. A couple days pass and I finally look at it. HOLY SHIT!! I go back in the house and ask if she's sure it was a raccoon and not a horse. She assures me it was a raccoon. She didn't swerve and chance wrecking and just sort of centered punched it.

Estimates are running from $2600 to just over $3000 in damages! :doh: Destroyed lower bumper valence, air dam gone, radiator support crushed up 4", A/C condenser crushed but not leaking and heat shield ripped off of exhaust system. Damn!

My wife just asked if I think the raccoon suffered much. :ermm: I assured her that it never knew it's life ended.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I was driving home from Seattle one night at 1:00am on the I-5 and almost hit a raccoon that sure seemed really big. In fact it was the size of a small dog. It was just sitting there in the middle of the fast lane. I kind of weaved by it at 70mph and dodged it but it sure was close. Fortunately, I was in a rental on my employers dime so it wouldn't have cost me too much.

Still glad I missed it and yes there are some big raccoons out there.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like cosmetic damage... Everything still works.

Since we're throwing out anecdotes, I've had my fair share of hits. Somehow, the vehicles have always come out relatively unscathed.

I had one car ('85 Honda Accord) that just drew animals to it. I was going down a back road in the winter on relatively icy roads (at about 50 MPH) and a deer jumped out in front of me. Well, it lost it's traction and did a belly flop on the double-yellow. No time to stop. I didn't have room to swerve to the right to miss it. Hitting it on my left side would have sent me into a spin. I turned slightly left to center me on the double-yellow line and hit the thing square on. Lots of tumbling under the vehicle and "stuff" was flying everywhere out the back. I thought they were my car parts. Actually, the deer was busted into pieces. The car came out unscathed.

SShepherd

sheesh! super coons !

..my wife took her can in for service, the write up guy told her that a cat had bit the radiator hose and cause a leak....................:unsure:

I went with her to the stealership that day, saw the manager walk into the service dept.. I asked for the manager, the people at the desk looked puzzled-- evidently the hose didn't need fixed afterall:whistling:

k-dog

What kind of car?

I hit a deer in my old Ford Focus and it only did $1,200 and he landed on the hood and rolled over the top of the car.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
What kind of car?

I hit a deer in my old Ford Focus and it only did $1,200 and he landed on the hood and rolled over the top of the car.

An '06 Honda Accord. Since the car is rather low the damn critter must of looked up and taken the part of the lower grill, under the bumper, right in the face at about 70 mph. Bugger must have had one hell of a hard head!

If he was a little taller the bumper would have taken him. If he was smaller, it would have just clipped the top of him. But no, he had to be just that right height. :glare:

k-dog

WOW! I thought it was going to be a BMW or Mercedes, but just a lot of damage by a small critter!!!

Sounds like you need to get the wife a SUV with the skid plates under it!!!