• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bob Barker Donates $5 Million To Anti-Whaling- Conservation

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
news_100105_1_1_Bob_Barker_%28JMc8739%29.jpg

Another anti-whaling ship arrived in the Southern Ocean today, unexpected and right on time: the Bob Barker.

The 1,200-ton Norwegian built Antarctic harpoon vessel caught up with the Japanese whaling fleet at 0300 Hours on Wednesday, January 6th, in the area of Commonwealth Bay off the Adelie Coast at 143 Degrees 17 Minutes East and 66 Degrees 43 Minutes South. The Norwegian flag cracked in the chill Antarctic air as the silhouette of the whaler gave every indication that the ship was sent to support the Japanese whalers.

The Japanese could be forgiven for thinking that the pro-whaling Norwegians had sent a ship to support their illegal whaling activities in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary. But any excitement turned to disappointment quickly as the Norwegian flag was hauled down and the black and white skull with crossed Trident and Shepherd’s crook was raised to announce the arrival of the Bob Barker, the latest ship acquired for the Sea Shepherd ocean defense fleet.

Thanks to a $5,000,000 contribution from American television personality and icon Bob Barker, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society was able to quietly purchase and refit the former Norwegian whaler in Africa. The ice strengthened fast chaser boat quietly departed from Mauritius on December 18th to join up with the Sea Shepherd ships Steve Irwin and Ady Gil in the Southern Ocean.

Barker has also funded the cost of a helicopter that will accompany the society’s ships. The aircraft is named The Nancy Burnet after the president of United Activists for Animal Rights, an organization Barker also supports. This new helicopter will participate in future campaigns.
“I’m delighted to be able to help the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society in its mission to end the destruction of habitat and slaughter of wildlife in the world’s oceans,” said Barker. “There is lot of talk about preserving our ecosystems and species, but this is one organization that puts these words into action.”

For the first time ever, Sea Shepherd has three ships on the Japanese fleet and each ship gives the campaign unique abilities. The long range fast ice class Bob Barker will take the lead in harassing the Japanese fleet and will be able to stay on station for three solid months without refueling. The Steve Irwin will be carrying the campaign helicopter and will coordinate all flight activities in addition to blocking loading operations on the Nisshin Maru, the factory ship. The Ady Gil, with twice the speed of the Japanese harpoon vessels, will concentrate on intercepting the fast chaser vessels to block their hunting activities.

The objective of the Sea Shepherd fleet is to sink the Japanese whaling fleet economically – to bankrupt the whaling industry by cutting whale kill quotas in half and costing the whaling fleet their annual profits.
This year’s campaign has been named Operation Waltzing Matilda to reflect the Sea Shepherd’s gratitude to the people of Australia for their incredible support since 2005 for our activities.

Thanks to the generous support of Bob Barker, the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has been given the means to seriously impact the profits of the whaling industry this season. Now more than ever, we are confident that we will be able to drive the outlaw whalers from the waters of the Antarctic Whale Sanctuary.

The Japanese whalers are discovering that the price is no longer right. With Sea Shepherd cutting their kill quotas in half and cancelling their profits for a fourth year in a row, the heavily subsidized whaling industry is on the ropes financially.
“We intend to bankrupt the whalers,” said Captain Paul Watson.

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/news-100105-1.html

More here

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Those guys are about as bright as a broken three watt light bulb. Why they don't get their own people killed from the stupid stuff they do is beyond me.

They just bought a hi tech speed boat that looks like something Batman would have, does about 40 knots and they drove it in front of a Japanese ship doing about 10 knots and it got cut in half and the idiots say the Japanese ship rammed it...

Watched their show "Whale Wars" a few times and couldn't stand that much stupidity in one hour.

I don't agree with the Japanese whaling issues, but at the same time, they have every right to blow the Sea Shepard out of the water to what amounts to acts of terrorism or pirates.

Here is one of the stories on the boat getting it...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Japanese ship destroys whale protest boat Ady Gil
ANDREW DARBY

January 6, 2010

Loading player
This video will automatically play after a 5 second delay.

Video will begin in 0 seconds.
Return to video Video settings

Replay video
Ady Gil pursues whalers

RAW VISION Sea Shepherd vessel Ady Gil in pursuit of the Japanese whaling fleet in the Southern Ocean. Vision from Institute of Cetacean Research, Japan.
The high-tech stealth boat Ady Gil was cut in half and sunk by a Japanese security vessel in Antarctic waters today, dramatically upping the stakes in the annual struggle between whalers and protesters.
Sea Shepherd group leader Paul Watson told Fairfax Media the $1.5 million Ady Gil was sinking, but its six-man crew had been rescued and was uninjured.
Earlier today, the fleet was contacted for the first time by the Ady Gil and Sea Shepherd's "secret" third vessel, the Bob Barker.
420-andy-gil-420x0.jpg
Where the collision occurred, according to Sea Shepherd.

Captain Watson, aboard the Steve Irwin, said he was still 500 nautical miles from the scene.
"This seriously escalates the whole situation," Captain Watson said of the collision.
The ICR said the Ady Gil came "within collision distance" directly in front of the Nisshin Maru bow and repeatedly deployed a rope from its stern "to entangle the Japanese vessel's rudder and propeller".
The statement accused the activists of shining a laser device at the Nisshin Maru crew and launching acid-filled projectiles, one of which landed on the vessel's deck.
After broadcasting a warning message, the Nisshin Maru sprayed the Ady Gil with water cannons to prevent it from coming closer, the ICR said.
Captain Watson told Fairfax in November the Ady Gil would be used to intercept the whaling fleet's chaser boats.
"What I think we can do is latch onto at least one of the three harpoon vessels and keep them out of the picture," he said.

Looking more like Batman's spacecraft than a boat, the biodiesel-powered trimaran Ady Gil arrived at the Southern Ocean stand-off between Japanese whalers and activists yesterday.
It was reported this morning to be about 50 nautical miles away from the whaling fleet.
Japan's Fisheries Minister Hirotaka Akamatsu had earlier warned two security ships would be used to protect the whaling fleet, intervening when Sea Shepherd tried to block the transfer of harpooned whales to the factory ship Nisshin Maru.
Captain Watson this morning announced the existence of a secret third ship in the Sea Shepherd flotilla.
He said he was confident that with three ships, Sea Shepherd would be able to cause maximum disruption to the whaling, which has been underway for around a month.
Japanese whalers have stepped up security this year, sending spy flights from Australian airports to track protest ships.
The Hobart flights were paid for by Wellington-based Omeka Communications, air industry sources told Fairfax.
Omeka is a public relations firm retained by Japan's Institute of Cetacean Research. The Hobart flights carried Omeka's principal, Glenn Inwood, who is an institute spokesman, and another man, the sources said.
The operation started in December when the Steve Irwin left Fremantle to intercept the whaling fleet, which this year is targeting 935 minke whales and 50 fin whales.
WA pilots said surveillance flights continued out of Albany for some days, costing a ''truckload'' of money. Two men aboard the flights told locals they were ''looking for people who were looking for whales''.
The Rudd Government has repeatedly called for caution by both sides in the wilds of the Antarctic.
"We have reminded the masters of protest vessels of their obligations under international law to take all steps to ensure safety of life at sea, particularly in the inhospitable conditions of the Southern Ocean," Environment Minister Peter Garrett said recently.
"We are also passing the same message to the government of Japan."
FACTS ON THE ADY GIL
Top speed: 40 knots (74 kmh)
Cruising speed: 20 knots (37 km/h)
Range: Halfway around the world - 20,000 km
Cost: Estimated $1 million
Length: 24 metres
Weight: 16 tonnes
Construction: Carbon fibre foam sandwich with kevlar armour

mak2

I just seen a thread from some Aussie guy with a bunch of links I wanted to read. Suddenly it was gone. I know it wasnt spam because B_Skurka had already replied that he like hunting whale or something like that. I really just wanted to read the links.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually it was spam, but I replied while the other moderators took away my fun.

mak2

Ok, just thought I lost it that quick. You have any idea what sushi is talking about? Bob Barker and the Price is wrong? or something.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok, just thought I lost it that quick. You have any idea what sushi is talking about? Bob Barker and the Price is wrong? or something.

Happy Gilmore: [Having a bad day of golfing due to a member of the crowd] That guy's driving me *crazy*!
Bob Barker: You know what's driving *me* crazy? You, not getting the ball in the hole.
Happy Gilmore: Don't push me, Bob! Now's not the time.
[Happy hits the ball, which hits a man standing on a boat, who then falls into the water]
Bob Barker: This guy sucks!
Announcer: We haven't seen Happy Gilmore play *this* badly since his first day on tour. He and Bob Barker are now dead-last.
Bob Barker: I can't *believe* you're a professional golfer! I think you should be working at the snack bar.
Happy Gilmore: [Angrily, with teeth clenched] You better relax, Bob.
Bob Barker: There is *no* way that you could have been as bad at hockey as you are at golf!
Happy Gilmore: Alright, let's go!
[Happy throws down his club and punches Bob in the face, who falls to the ground]
Happy Gilmore: You like that, old man? You want a piece of me?
Bob Barker: [Shaking his head as he gets up] I don't want a *piece* of you, I want the *whole thing*!
[Punches Happy in the gut, then proceeds to punch him in the face ten times, sending Happy falling into a pond]
Happy Gilmore: [Happy gets out] Now you're gonna get it, Bobby!
[Happy grabs his club and swings at Bob, who blocks, punches Happy in the face, then throws him to the ground. Happy tackles Bob, resulting in both of them rolling down a hill. At the bottom, Happy headbutts Bob]
Happy Gilmore: The price is *wrong*, bitch!
Bob Barker: [Bob grabs Happy's throat, opens his eyes with a menacing look, stands up, punches Happy in the gut twice, and once in the face before Happy falls down again] I think you've had enough.
[Starts to walk away, but notices Happy start to stand up again]
Bob Barker: No?
[Kicks Happy in the face]
Bob Barker: *Now* you've had enough... bitch.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its too bad that idiot capt. was not on board when that boat got hammered . What a fickin idiot to even try to pass off a story that the Whaler hit them . He is endangering people with his fickin grand standing . I am all for the whales ,but not when he pulls a sh*ttin stunt like that .

How do you say

DUMB ASS ??????

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Foggy used the words "terrorist" and "pirate". That may not be accurate, yet, but criminal? Definitely. Until one of these idealistic, naive, brainwashed morons that follow these criminal leaders gets killed doing stupid stunts like this, then yes, the description of piracy or terrorism could apply.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Greenpeace have backed out of getting involved with this kind of thing, but their founder is still there very much involved via Sea Shepherd.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Greenpeace have backed out of getting involved with this kind of thing, but their founder is still there very much involved via Sea Shepherd.

I think that when he helpes start Greenpeace, he was too far off the deep end and they asked him to leave...