• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

UHF/VHF Cubical Quad

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I built an 8-element dual band cubical quad antenna for 2m & 70cm. I finished it this morning and will be putting it on the tower mast at 30' tomorrow afternoon when a fellow ham is available to lower and raise the tower. Should be interesting to see what sort of reach this baby has with its 13.8 Db calculated gain. I'll be checking its performance with my 5W dual band Wouxun HT as well as my 50W Yaesu FT-8800 in the shack. Details to follow. Here are a few pics before it goes up. The boom is 91-1/2" long, 1" sq. alum tubing with 1/8" wall, 3/8" dia. fiberglass spreader arms held in place with 3/8" E-clips. Elements are 16ga. copperweld wire soldered at the connection points. I designed the layout in AutoCAD so that the 70cm band elements would not be under the 2m elements.

From the reflector of the 2m end.

P1040376.jpg

From the last driven element of both bands.

P1040375.jpg

Some spreader details,

P1040377.jpg

Full view.

P1040378.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that is pretty cool kind of reminds me of the old pdl-2 antennas i just picked up my first dualband radio it's a px 888k and is also type accepted for comercial aplications which alows me to use 1 radio for both work and play

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
My buddies came by and we lowered the tower, mounted the antenna and stood it back up. Now I need to install the rotor so we can have a merry-go-round.

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Is that a Rohm tower? I always liked them as they are a lot more stable when a big guy like me is climbing them. Had several over the years. I just came across an old Alliance tenna rotor control down in the basement. Have not used it since 1991. Might take it to the sale Saturday and donate it to the Amish relief fund.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, it's a Rohn 25 tower. It's steel, and weighs a lot. Add 30# of 1-1/2" schedule 40 steel pipe for a mast, and it's a real chore for 3 guys to lay down. I may end up with a 2,000# electric winch to raise and lower the tower in the future. It will be safer and I'll be able to do it myself for maintenance.

I can lean my 24' ladder against the tower and climb to the top, and it barely budges. Really rigid.

Muley, check that Alliance rotator control box. I have an Alliance HD-73 heavy duty rotor, and would like a backup control box. Let me know what you would want for it.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I will have to find it again.:w00t2: There is a lot of stuff down there!:clap: