• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help!

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I am squealing like a pig!.. I have a Midland 77285-A running on a Wilson 1000 Mag mount and an astatic mic. I am wired hot to the battery. Radio is mounted under my dash and the bracket it grounded to some metal under the dash since it's plastic. My ex wife threw out my stand alone SWR meter with about $300 of other stuff before I got it from the shed. It squeals when I key up. Now.. I have tried my Uniden PC78, a cobra mike and a different wilson mag mount. NOTHING stops the squeal. I have also run the power via the cig lighter. STILL squeals. As you can see I have tried everything I can think of to no avail. oh.., the uniden has a built in SWR meter and they were fine when I checked them. that was before I grounded the mounting frame since it seems to me that it's most likely a ground issue... I am at a loss here and it's REALLY frustrating me... I never had any issues with this set up in what is now the ex's pickup. In fact when I had my One Stop tuned 99 in there I was LOUD...

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
o expert here. Suggest trying a temp ground wire direct to the block or frame. If it helps, you can make it pretty and permanent.

snow dog

are both leads run to the battery ? Does the sqeal occur when the truck is running or with the engine off ?

fubar

What do you mean ' it squeals'

Do you mean on some elses radio, they hear squealing when you key your mike, or do you mean YOUR radio squeals when you key your mike?

If your radio is doing the squealing, it ain't a power or antenna problem.
It is probably your mike, mike connector, etc. or it is a problem in your radio that is now damaged by your mike, mike connection etc.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Good question Fubar! The receiver hears the squealing, although I could hear it on my end a lil bit as well. My first thought was the mic, but I have tried two different ones with the same results. I am trying to get my hands on a NON power mic and see if that helps.

snow dog

Good question Fubar! The receiver hears the squealing, although I could hear it on my end a lil bit as well. My first thought was the mic, but I have tried two different ones with the same results. I am trying to get my hands on a NON power mic and see if that helps.

How do you know what the reciever is hearing ? or is it you hear the noise on the speaker ?

fubar

Ok, so it the other end that hears the squealing. It is the signal that you are sending out.

Now, Can they hear any modulation of the signal, or is the carrier just a level squeal? In other words, is your radio transmiting you?

The power mike is insignificant, if you can adjust the gain down, but I doubt that the mike is overmodulating so much that it is just a squeal. Unless the mike is broken, but you said that you have used at least two different mikes, not much chance that they are both broken the same way.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok, so it the other end that hears the squealing. It is the signal that you are sending out.

Now, Can they hear any modulation of the signal, or is the carrier just a level squeal? In other words, is your radio transmiting you?

The power mike is insignificant, if you can adjust the gain down, but I doubt that the mike is overmodulating so much that it is just a squeal. Unless the mike is broken, but you said that you have used at least two different mikes, not much chance that they are both broken the same way.

If I back the power off it helps. I wish I could get a someone over with a mobile so I could hear what it's doing myself. Hell. I have an extra radio, mic, antenna and power source I just need a vehicle for a while lol.

fubar

I GOT IT!! YOUR ANSWER, I GOT IT!!!

Sell the extra radio, mike and antenna, and there is your down payment on a new bike!!, Problem solved!!

When you do get to listen yourself, see if the sound is more like a barking, like the sound is suddenly loud with a rapid fade to silent then the new word starts loud and rapidly fades again. If it does that, it could well be the grounding, ground plane for your antenna. STOP! and don't do that anymore until you fix the load. And even then your finals may have already been overloaded.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I GOT IT!! YOUR ANSWER, I GOT IT!!!

Sell the extra radio, mike and antenna, and there is your down payment on a new bike!!, Problem solved!!

When you do get to listen yourself, see if the sound is more like a barking, like the sound is suddenly loud with a rapid fade to silent then the new word starts loud and rapidly fades again. If it does that, it could well be the grounding, ground plane for your antenna. STOP! and don't do that anymore until you fix the load. And even then your finals may have already been overloaded.

LMAO if you have look at my pics to come up with the bike comment.. that's a $4000 bike if replaced and my radio equipment can't come CLOSE to that... But I will check it out what you suggested!

snow dog

I would put the radio into a dummy load, put both power leads to the battery connection. using another radio to listen. you don't need another truck all you need is a battery. Transmitting into a dummy load you still be able to hear it for a hundred feet or so.

fubar

That's right, much safer on the equipment. But can you instruct him on how to make a suitable dummy load. What I use is on old RadioShack paint can full of oil, but I doubt he's got one of those, and I don't know how to construct one.

Not bicycle.....Bike, ya know pock et ta, pock et ta, pock et ta, vroom vroom, Harley Davidson. BIKE!!!:yum:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
suggestion one your radio could be picking up stray inigtion noise or ac ripple try a temp wiring direct to the battery with the engine shut off see what happens if the noise is gone start up the vehicle see if it comes back if it does it is likely ac ripple you will need ascope or multimeter to check it out.if the noise still presists i would drop money on a new mag mount since you cant isolate the coax you should however be able to remove the antenna and use a multimeter and check for continuity between your outer shield and inner rf cable because mag mounts get jammed through doors coax damage is a commom problem if the ex didn't relieve you of all your money a 50 dollar walkie talkie would serve you good for diagnostics other wise with out a repeater it's just good for a paper weight they are handy for testing one nice thing about irlp i have the echo reflector lets me hear my self. let me know what happens i will help you out andsell the bike get a snow trac so you can send Big Al some banter

fubar

Oh ho ho!!

That's good, Kansas is good snow cat country also. And from a distance, a vw, a small airplane and a harley sound real similar.
I found a snow track the other day, looks like it has been sitting around for many years, I might go inquire on it. If nothing else I'll get number and descript for the registery.

snow dog

That's right, much safer on the equipment. But can you instruct him on how to make a suitable dummy load. What I use is on old RadioShack paint can full of oil, but I doubt he's got one of those, and I don't know how to construct one.

Not bicycle.....Bike, ya know pock et ta, pock et ta, pock et ta, vroom vroom, Harley Davidson. BIKE!!!:yum:

yea I know, you can fix it with a pocket knife and duct tape! you either have to visit the local radio shop, buy a new radio, or buy some thing to help you fix the problem. An antenna watt meter is a tool to check antennas. Multi meter for checking voltages on on

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
we used to get cheap cbdummy loads at radio shackthat just screwed on to the so 239 conector and you could test that way

fubar

I'll dig around, there must be a simple do-hickey to connect via the 239 that can handle wattage, gimme a day or two and I'll come back w/somethin'
rback33 what we are talking about is if you fire your radio without a "load" the heat will burn out the finals (may have already happened) When we find something for you to hook up then you can do the test that snowdog is talking about.

Give us enough time and we will invent something to set yer kitchen on fire with.......

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
got it.

http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/projects/SaltLoad/SaltLoad.html

If you ride a bicycle, you can build one of these....

So easy, a caveman........ (better not say that here, I think there are few around ).

Cool! A dummy load is one thing I have always wanted/needed and never had! I printed it all off. I won't have time to look at it closely until the first of next week, but I'll get on it. Thanks again for all the help!

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
sorry but can't help with the squeal but I did follow a super Imp up to a tower and seen my first repeater friday . Work was needed on the generators.
Don, Did you just say that you talk to yourself?

fubar

Oh, one other thing, if you put the wrong parts into the salt water of the dummy load, let us know how much smoke comes out of the prick, and which holes let out the most.:yum::yum::yum:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
sorry but can't help with the squeal but I did follow a super Imp up to a tower and seen my first repeater friday . Work was needed on the generators.
Don, Did you just say that you talk to yourself?
the irlp system alows an echo function so you can use it as a tool for adjusting your transmit audio as a deviation meter can't be plugged into the back of a radio like you can do with an am broadcast's