• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowcat skiing 2017-2018 season

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Sean, glacierman, must be a ton easier to trailer everywhere with a regular size trailer, not a monster trailer and massive tow rig, easy in, easy out, no stress, thus more fun and you folks have more fun than anyone else, great crew to cat with.

forum8fox

Glad you guys got out, I hope there will be enough snow for a couple more outings. I have work next weekend Unfortinnately but even if I'm not able to go I'd love to know our cat is good to go for next season. If I'm lucky I might be able to go Thursday.

Pontoon princess, on your thought about the trailer... My brother and I may try to get a bus and chop the back off to tow ours. Had a free bus lined up but no title and don't know who the last owner was. I know of 2 others for sale for about 2-3k so its still a possibility.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Pontoon princess, on your thought about the trailer... My brother and I may try to get a bus and chop the back off to tow ours. Had a free bus lined up but no title and don't know who the last owner was. I know of 2 others for sale for about 2-3k so its still a possibility.[/QUOTE]

hey guys, have seen countless bus conversions done into car haulers, even motor homes into haulers, they looked like a great way to go, also add RV beds, kitchen, bath, good way to have it all. go for it!

Last edited:

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Tried to take the BR100 out yesterday but it didn't work out. The snow started falling as we headed up and it kept getting worse. We turned around at Loveland ski area just before the Eisenhower tunnel. Luckily we got on the interstate behind a couple of plows on the way back down. We could see that the police were blocking the road and closing it. Apparently there was a huge crash and they closed the road from Grand Junction to US40/ Empire exit. We would have been stuck on the road or in Silverthorne for hours. So we just put the cat back in its spot and did some backcountry by my house. Skiing pic.jpg

IMG_20181124_145512.jpg
Here are a couple of grooming sunrise pictures to help keep this a snowcat thread. Will be out again tonight putting down corduroy.
IMG_20181122_064936_hdr.jpg

IMG_20181122_064913_hdr.jpg

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah, I have been doing a combination of riding along (for observing and training) and some operating as well. I was able to groom a run on my last shift. It took a around an hour. Things normally move faster from ride along to operating on your own but they haven't had a supervisor to dedicate to training me. I am fairly comfortable operating the cat, just struggling with the graveyard shift.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I have been doing a combination of riding along (for observing and training) and some operating as well. I was able to groom a run on my last shift. It took a around an hour. Things normally move faster from ride along to operating on your own but they haven't had a supervisor to dedicate to training me. I am fairly comfortable operating the cat, just struggling with the graveyard shift.

fabulous, we now have a professional snow cat operator amongst our community, Glacier Sean is now the "man", excellent G Sean

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Finally got to operate a cat by myself. It's so much easier to operate a cat versus riding along. I can't describe how difficult staying awake while riding along is. Just fueled up at the base of the mountain, going to take the cat back to the top for the next shift and have breakfast with the grooming crew. Then its a short gondola ride and I can go home and sleep.

IMG_20181127_064719.jpg

IMG_20181127_063431.jpg

Hey Aaron, it was a bummer we didn't get to go snowcating on Vail pass Saturday but it's the beginning of the season and lots of days left to be had.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The hours suck, but you are going to get some awesome sunrises and first runs once your body gets used to it!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
The hours suck, but you are going to get some awesome sunrises and first runs once your body gets used to it!

how true mr net.

great job for a young guy like G Sean! and the girls love snow cat guys,

so, do you get to commute to your dream job, in your over powered hyper cool BR?

sunrises one of the true marvels of the world

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Pontoon Princess, unfortunately I don't get to drive the br100 to work. It's about an hour and 15min commute in my truck. If I could buy a house in Montezuma I probably could commute with the LS powered cat. A Terra track would be even better. You said that "girls love snowcat guys" haven't had that experience yet but hopefully. And yes sunrises are so very special.

Looks like this morning will be great skiing, it's tough to see my last pass because it's snowing pretty good. IMG_20181129_025443.jpg

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Sean, Congratulations on your job. I think many of us wish we had the opportunity to get paid to drive around Uber-cool new Pisten Bullys like you do!

I have a friend, who when furloughed from his airline job wanted to drive snowcats at Park City Mountain Resort. He was told that's not an entry-level job and had to start "at the bottom", which meant as a "grunt" on the snowmaking crew. Only after he showed he was a competent and reliable guy was he given the chance to drive a snowcat. He said it was a blast, though he had some harrowing experiences.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Pontoon Princess, unfortunately I don't get to drive the br100 to work. It's about an hour and 15min commute in my truck. If I could buy a house in Montezuma I probably could commute with the LS powered cat. A Terra track would be even better. You said that "girls love snowcat guys" haven't had that experience yet but hopefully. And yes sunrises are so very special.

Looks like this morning will be great skiing, it's tough to see my last pass because it's snowing pretty good. View attachment 107283

this is sarcasm so put a smile on rookie.

rule number one on snow cat selfies.

proper grooming shall pass the boot test, where-in properly tilled and groomed corduroy shall not yield to the weight of the average build operator.....

here is your rookie advice, noob..... walk down the track out of the frame.... snap the moon, cat, sunrise, hotty in a bikini who thinks the cat operator is all that and a bag of chips.....

Walk back up the track to get in.

walking on the track will force you to tie your boots up tight and we don't have to see photos of you all warm in the cat shoe less......

FWIW snow cat operators flash the operators... its a thing, right up there with groomer shots in the lodge.

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
The Colorado cat crew got out to Vail pass for our first adventure of the season yesterday. This adventure comes a month earlier than our first trip last year. It's almost hard to believe how much snow is up there.

First order of business for the day for my cat was rescuing my friends snowmobile from a serious accident the day before. He rented a sled for his girlfriend and took her out onn Vail pass. They got into a field with a couple of creeks in flatlight. She was having difficulty getting over a hill so he put her on his sled and he took the rental. She hit a creek and before she could react she hit the second (much bigger) creek. The sled stopped and blew up both Skis. Her body kept going thru the handlebars (shearing all four metal mounting brackets) and ended up about 20ft away from the sled. He took her to the hospital and left the sled. She is hurt but ok. So we got the sled out yesterday. I had to put in a road in armpit deep snow to get the sled. Then we dragged it out and loaded it in his truck. It has been a rough season so far, we found multiple other sleds abandoned looking for his. Not sure if the pictures show the damage but this sled is trash.
This is where the sled spent the night.
IMG_20181201_142606.jpg
We were all happy to have the sled down to the parking lot.
IMG_20181201_152226.jpg
Forum8fox is standing on the track because the snow is chest deep. This is where we put in a road to the weather station to get in our first lap.
IMG_20181201_123950.jpg
Nottingham, getting after it.
IMG_20181201_164047.jpg

Aaron Tucker

more pics

Attachments

• IMG_3089.jpg
    IMG_3089.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Photos (35).zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 77
  • Photos (34).zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3068.jpg
    IMG_3068.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 243

forum8fox

Unfortunately I have work the next 2 Saturdays. Wish I could go since my birthday is next week and thats a great way to celebrate.

Aaron Tucker

Unfortunately I have work the next 2 Saturdays. Wish I could go since my birthday is next week and thats a great way to celebrate.

I'm going to try and do more week day trips this year. let me know what day your thinking and we can figure it out.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Stretching this cat skiing thread.

Went snowboarding solo Bretton Woods. Amazing mid winter conditions.

Saw a cat. Local club Trooper groomer.

Hoping to hookup with some sno cat Colorado folk staying in Breckenridge Feb 17-22 to experience the west!

Last photo is what I hope it is like when I go to sno cat heaven.

Attachments

• 469D0C48-7F78-4EB1-8B35-E258CF750E0E.jpg
    469D0C48-7F78-4EB1-8B35-E258CF750E0E.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 4C3E5596-9515-4E14-A726-966B3119B0AE.jpg
    4C3E5596-9515-4E14-A726-966B3119B0AE.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 9EC8C8B5-7AFE-4059-A293-C54D6CF6D093.jpg
    9EC8C8B5-7AFE-4059-A293-C54D6CF6D093.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 62F7FB22-A0AF-49D6-836B-DA7D57BC00C7.jpg
    62F7FB22-A0AF-49D6-836B-DA7D57BC00C7.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 220

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One more thing. It started here.....

Attachments

• 10E3E8D6-7E70-4D03-8F0A-44F35351F5A2.jpg
    10E3E8D6-7E70-4D03-8F0A-44F35351F5A2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 77FF69ED-3179-494F-93BF-E2BB6182D6D3.jpg
    77FF69ED-3179-494F-93BF-E2BB6182D6D3.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 217

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
Breckenridge is already pretty snowy you should have a great time out here. If everything is running good I should be able to take you cat skiing Vail pass one day if you want.IMG_20181207_180452.jpg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would be happy to get a beer and a high five minimum.. Anything over that would be a bonus.

Thanks for the hospitality!

forum8fox

I'm free tomorrow through Thursday or Friday I think. My birthday is Monday. I need to see if I can find a way to get our cat out, may have another friend that can help so we have 2 cats out. Let's rally for sure. If it's clear we could potentially shoot a sweet night photo with some cats too. **hint, hint, maybe we can make an add for tincup and make some $$**

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
happy birthday fox8forum, lot of great people I know have December birthdays and you are diffinently one fabulous guy.