• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

PUCO + Dept. of Commerce + Time Warner = High Speed Internet

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last week I decided to complain to PUCO about Time Warner not providing us cable service when all of our neighbors have it. PUCO does not cover the cable carriers, so they sent my complaint to Ohio Dept. of Commerce.

Dept of Commerce contacted me saying they can put forward my complaint, but they do not have authority to force Time Warner to provide service to anyone.

Time Warner called today and said they had an engineer out here yesterday. He reviewed the situation and advised that they will have the cable run (to the telephone pole closest to my house) by next Thursday, April 24th. :clap: :clap: Yippeeee!!!! So on April 24th I should be able to place the order for cable service / high speed internet. Awesome! We've waited so friggin long ..... I can't wait.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
results

Attachments

• results1.JPG
    results1.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 254

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good link PG!

Here is why I'm so excited ... Here is what I'm at today:

:hide:

Attachments

• AirCardInternetSpeed.png
    AirCardInternetSpeed.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 250

urednecku

Site Supporter
Our desk-top shows 1705 / 371, (wired directly) and the
lap-top at 1467 / 368, wireless

Not flying, but a hell of a lot faster than dial-up.

Blondie

Blond Member

:confused: I don't know what those numbers mean. It would most likely be a waste of typing time if you tried to explain it to me- just tell me if it's good or bad :bonk:

urednecku

Site Supporter

:confused: I don't know what those numbers mean. It would most likely be a waste of typing time if you tried to explain it to me- just tell me if it's good or bad :bonk:

:ermm: Same here. I just know it has something to do with how fast info is moved.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
1410/316 per that test. (rural DSL). Not bad for out in the 'country'.

Well not really country, the area is also known as Telecom Valley. I'm a few miles SW of Oreilly Publishing if a few of you techies have heard of them.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

The bigger the number the better. That is why everyone can look at my numbers and laugh.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PG, do you have any speed enhancer like that web site offers in your setup. Blondie also has time warner and her numbers are good, but mucho lower?

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
PG, do you have any speed enhancer like that web site offers in your setup. Blondie also has time warner and her numbers are good, but mucho lower?

Cable speeds are going to vary greatly as most cable companies share bandwidth over entire neighborhoods. During Internet 'primetime' your speed will be much lower when everyone in your neighborhood is on the net at the same time. A friend of mine who uses Comcast gets many Mb/s in the early morning, and then barely in the Kb/s just after dinner time.

Last edited:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Cable speeds are going to vary greatly as most cable companies share bandwidth over entire neighborhoods. During Internet 'primetime' your speed will be much lower when everyone in your neighborhood is on the net at the same time. A friend of mine who uses Camcast gets many Mb/s in the early morning, and then barely in the Kb/s just after dinner time.

Yes it does vary.
Not a whole lot though.

Attachments

• bout the same.JPG
    bout the same.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 141

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Depends on your neighborhood. If you're in a developing/rural area, you may have all the bandwidth to yourself most of the time....until that new development springs up.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Depends on your neighborhood. If you're in a developing/rural area, you may have all the bandwidth to yourself most of the time....until that new development springs up.
I live in a rural area (just outside of town) in a relatively new housing development ;)

Blondie

Blond Member
I was actually running the test from work and they use.... something else. I have no idea who the provider is.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was actually running the test from work and they use.... something else. I have no idea who the provider is.

Ahhh, okay, nevermind PG. :hide:

People I work with who have Time Warner said their speeds have been throttled back. That TW put some kind of throttle on the total bandwidth any one user gets.

No matter, it will still be faster than what I have now with an air card.