• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

OC12 TEMP. PROB.

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
CAN ANY ONE OUT THERE TELL ME WHERE THE TEMP PROB IS ON A OC12 I HAVE A GAGE ON THE DASH AND WIRES GOING TO THE REAR OF THE CAT BUT NO PROB THE ONLY PLACE THAT I CAN SEE THAT IT CAN POSABLE GO IS ON THE TOP COVER THERE IS A PLUG LIKE AND AIR VENT .IF THAT IS IT WHERE CAN I GET THE PROB A PART # WOULD BE GREAT THANKS LARRY

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
CAN ANY ONE OUT THERE TELL ME WHERE THE TEMP PROB IS ON A OC12 I HAVE A GAGE ON THE DASH AND WIRES GOING TO THE REAR OF THE CAT BUT NO PROB THE ONLY PLACE THAT I CAN SEE THAT IT CAN POSABLE GO IS ON THE TOP COVER THERE IS A PLUG LIKE AND AIR VENT .IF THAT IS IT WHERE CAN I GET THE PROB A PART # WOULD BE GREAT THANKS LARRY

normally they are in the back of the diff bottom drain location.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Below is a pic of the differential temperature sender in a LMC 1200 with the OC12 rear end. This snow cat has a complete hydraulic system with hyd pump, control valving and quick couplers installed to the rear of the cat. The differential temp is very important when running added hydraulic components and should be working for proper cooling.

If you do not have the hydraulic differential cooling system installed and the differential temperatures are running hot, you should consider fabrcating and using an expanded metal cover with large openings in place of the solid plywood top cover located above the differential at the rear of the box. This will allow snow that is being kicked up at the rear to fall on the top of differential housing and help to keep it cooler. Hard packed and icy trails seem to heat up the 1200's differential from lack of loose snow being kicked on the differential housing and the effort required to make turns in hard pack conditions.

P1010002 (Medium).JPG

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
thanks boggie & mtntopper I do have the rear end cooling system on my cat and by the the touch the oc12 is never hot but the gage was not hocked up and with out the pic I would not have gust the location of the sending unit . can ether of you give me a part # or where to look for one.thanks again for your help Larry

fischerrc4

Mine is on the return line elbow back to the differential hyd. pump. Went with Stewart Warner gauge, and sender. Petersons were out of stock, and no venders available.
fischerrc4
2100C

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Shovanl,
Contact member Snowcat Pat. He may have a source or evn might manufacture them. Not sure but he does manufacture OC12 stuff.

fischerrc4

Here is my set-up. Stewart Warner Sender 280EE-F, fit right in factory hole perfect.

Attachments

• Diff. temp.1.jpg
    Diff. temp.1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 510
  • Diff.temp.2.jpg
    Diff.temp.2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 507

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
thanks everyone I well look this weekend at the elbow it may be a better place then on the back of the trane the gauge son my cat areall VDO and I can get the sender from them thanks agin Larry

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Can anyone tell me what the temp range should be for the OC 12 . I have a C6 with the Ford 300. 80 Sprtye DMC 1200 . I dont want to over heat the rear end . Thanks

Sylvia Tunaskas

The manual I have (LMC 1200-1986) states: The normal absolute maximum temperature with DN-600 fluid during continuous operation is 180 degrees F. If the differential exceeds this temperature stop the vehicle to permit cooling. If 180 degrees is exceeded for fairly long periods, rapid deterioration of steering bands, drums,gears and bearings may occur."

The type of fluid you use in the OC-12, as well as a hydraulic system may affect that temperature. I am not sure what specs DN-600 has or its application. Hope this helps.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Same temp is good for hydro's too. At 180 deg., better check the cooling system out. Lubrisity is lost fast beyound this temp with mineral based oils. High wear results.

Kirk

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Today is the day ~ Im opening up the rear end get er serviced for next season . Anyone know the part number for the gasket on the top plate ?:whistling:

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
OC12 rear end fluid

Ok so the manual says DNC-600 Im told by the prior owner he ran Chevron EP90 . The temps have been right at 89 F any reason not to continue running the Chevron EP90 > I also thought I might use Shell Donaxtc30 in the rear end What do you guys think

Last edited:

Dr. Zaugg

If you continue to use the EP90 the oil will render the brake bands useless. You will definitely have to re-line them. I would anyway. I use Chevron Tractor Hydraulic Fluid. It has a wet brake additive that helps with the steering effort and this oil has great heat dissipation capacity.
Paul

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
If you continue to use the EP90 the oil will render the brake bands useless. You will definitely have to re-line them. I would anyway. I use Chevron Tractor Hydraulic Fluid. It has a wet brake additive that helps with the steering effort and this oil has great heat dissipation capacity.
Paul

Thanks for the advice If in fact the fellow was running EP90 good thing I get it out of there now ! :w00t2: The top cover was a mess to clean up Im thinking I have it clean enough to open it this week . Any one know the part number for the gasket for the top of the OC12 cover ?