• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Well this is a pickle

BlackPR

First time poster, and boy is it a doozy. Took our Thiokol 1201 up into the Colorado mountains. This is generally a low risk trip, about 5-10 miles in with a mix of snow and dry patches. Recent weather has left it all snow. Minimum depth 1', maximum about 6. No problem.

However, as we arrive at our winter cabin we lose the left steering lever and then shortly after that, the right. Both brake fluid reservoirs empty. No obvious leaks. Anyway, so here we are at our cabin, and we have every type of fluid known to man. Except for brake fluid. So knowing full well that one should never use a petroleum product as a substitute and being unaware of other implications when it comes to a snowcat, I'm reaching out to the experts. Is there a safe 10-mile alternative? Do I dare? Should we call in help? Maybe draw straws to figure out which family member gets eaten first while we wait for spring?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry but the only answer I have is draw straws and let us know which family member we need to memorialize.

But if you find an answer please let us know.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
tie logs to the rear for steering and avoid the steep hills.
have someone with a sled run some oil up and fix the leak

mkntrakes

ok here we go you will have to remove all break fluid from system so if you can drain one side and use fluid to fill other side then mix up a soap and water solution and use it in the other side this is a bush fix and need to drain water and soap as soon as possible to keep from rusting

PJL

Put in the mineral oil. Dot 2 brake fluid is basically mineral oil. Dot 3, 4 is glycol based so pure antifreeze might work well too. That will get you home. Carry extra. It's already leaking so something needs to be fixed anyway, you will be flushing it out when you do the repairs.

mkntrakes

brake fluids are all glycol-based not oil based so you could use your antifreeze, Oil based fluid will swell o rings in master cylinders and slave cylinders make them inoperable

BlackPR

brake fluids are all glycol-based not oil based so you could use your antifreeze, Oil based fluid will swell o rings in master cylinders and slave cylinders make them inoperable

Hey, you're in Castle Rock... come on up and get me and I'll give you usage rights to my property! I'm up above Red Feather Lakes, Colorado. LOL (worth a try).

BlackPR

dude----your clearly not a motor head-----put anything in it to get home and sell it-----just sayin-----lol------hate to see if a track fell off or the motor quit

Sometimes, I even ask for directions, which doesn't make me unqualified to "go places," and I've never had someone tell me that I'm "clearly not a cartographer."

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You can steer your cat mechanically.

One (or if a luxury Two) wrenches (pipe of crescent, vice grip ) and a hi lift jack handle will get you out that little bit of a trip.

LIterally anything liquid can go in there in an emergency.

I would go with antifreeze as suggested. ( and he will come get you)
Mineral oil
hydraulic oil

in your case it does not matter as you are servicing your rig upon safe return......

back to the wrenches
pull the access panel in the rear. You will see the 7/8 " square actuators sticking of the front of the differential. apply force to them with anything and your cat will operate as it should.

want a challenge or are alone, rig up a cable, chain, threaded rod, pipe ect to the front and pretend you are a reality show.... hell you will have to holler at someone, Swear and create some unnecessary crisis to be a proper reality show but the idea is to have some fun......

Lets us know which ghetto method you employ.
$.02 (mike, can and will do anything with nothing, for fun)

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That Mike sqwrl WILL help you out. I was passing though his land pulling a cat which came with a trailer. Was having a good time finding places to air up the tires for many miles in the middle of the night. Pulled into his digs in the morning, he replaced all nine rotting valve stems, and didn't even keep any of the lug NUTS. Also ended up going to a great gittogeter with more squirrels than you can count. He and Mrs. Sqwrl are the real deal.

BlackPR

Hey guys,

First of all, thanks a lot for the help. In the end, we chose to use the antifreeze, primarily because of the glycol issue and the thought that maybe perhaps, it wouldn't leave a mark. It worked flawlessly. Managed to get back without issue, and plan to drain, flush and go through it starting tomorrow.

As time goes on my "list of essentials" gets longer and longer. But the information here is absolutely indispensable. I'm just lucky I have satellite internet up at my place (there's no cell coverage) so that I could pick your brains.

No family members were eaten, although by the time we got home the dog was looking kind of tasty.

BlackPR

You can steer your cat mechanically.

One (or if a luxury Two) wrenches (pipe of crescent, vice grip ) and a hi lift jack handle will get you out that little bit of a trip.

LIterally anything liquid can go in there in an emergency.

I would go with antifreeze as suggested. ( and he will come get you)
Mineral oil
hydraulic oil

in your case it does not matter as you are servicing your rig upon safe return......

back to the wrenches
pull the access panel in the rear. You will see the 7/8 " square actuators sticking of the front of the differential. apply force to them with anything and your cat will operate as it should.

This is an amazing reply... Thank you for this info!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey guys,

First of all, thanks a lot for the help. In the end, we chose to use the antifreeze, primarily because of the glycol issue and the thought that maybe perhaps, it wouldn't leave a mark. It worked flawlessly. Managed to get back without issue, and plan to drain, flush and go through it starting tomorrow.

As time goes on my "list of essentials" gets longer and longer. But the information here is absolutely indispensable. I'm just lucky I have satellite internet up at my place (there's no cell coverage) so that I could pick your brains.

No family members were eaten, although by the time we got home the dog was looking kind of tasty.

:thumb:

Glad you made it home!

mlang2005

Antifreeze was my first thought also, now I’m wondering if straight antifreeze would be a better fluid than brake fluid since it inhibits corrosion and would have superior lubricity. Snowcat wouldn’t have the heat issues that car brakes would have.

rdynes01

Sometimes, I even ask for directions, which doesn't make me unqualified to "go places," and I've never had someone tell me that I'm "clearly not a cartographer."

Don't worry about it. Topwelder is a clown and rarely knows what he is talking about

HankScorpio

Didn't see this until today, I was also on the mountain all weekend but no internet. Glad you made it out. I am just up the road in Laramie, keep me in mind if you have trouble again. I would run down to Red Feather. I have Sno-Cat and sleds if there is an emergency. wyochris@gmail.com