• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

64 Thiokol - Ford Industrial In Line 6 Cylinder

64Thiokol1201

Hello All,
I am trying to find out if the one piece cylinder head is replaceable withthe automitive type where the head, intake, and exhaust are separate parts? I have tried googling the ford industrial six to find parts but don't find a lot from the 1960s. Anyone know of a parts source for these early motors?

Thanks

Denver

SUPER Site Supporter
Hi, not an expert of Ford engine. but my J5 has a ford 250 engine with integrated intake manifold ( sounds like what you described) below may be of help.

Denver

Ever wonder what size motor you have? If so, your not the only one. To the inexperienced enthusiast all small sixes look identical, however there are minor differences which can be easily spotted if you know what to look for. In this article we'll cover a majority of the differences, for engines produced in the USA, even though you only need to know three to identify the engine size (see Summary).

While Australian and/or Argentina built motors are similar to their US counterparts, they have their own unique set of differences. Some of these differences are the same as their US counterparts, while many are not. For example, all US-250ci engines had a low mount starter, while the Australian and Argentina 250's had a high mount starter. Therefore exhaust headers produced for an Australian 250ci will not fit the US-250ci, or vice versa. Another example would be the oil pump, while the oil pump drive is the same size, the bolt patterns are different. Therefore the oil pumps are not interchangeable. The US-200/250ci distributors and cylinder heads will fit an Australian 200/221/250ci Pre-Crossflow, and vice versa. However the AU-250ci Crossflow distributors and cylinder heads are unique to the Crossflow and will not interchange with the US-200/250ci engines. One last example is the oil pan, also non-interchangeable, as the Australian and Argentina 250ci oil pans (and blocks) are one inch narrower in width. The list goes on.....
hrdk.png

General Description: The Small Six (or Falcon Six), overhead valve, inline 6-cylinder engine was introduced in 1960 with a cast iron block and cylinder head. All US cylinder heads incorporated an integral one barrel intake manifold, more commonly known as a log intake. The crankshaft and flywheel are dynamically balanced, and the crankshafts are fitted with a harmonic damper, which is often called a balancer.

engine%20left%20side.jpg

Block Codes: Block codes were an attempt at a cast-on block identification system & can be found on the road draft tube mounting boss. Block codes were in use up to 1964, or there about, then Ford switched to small metal tags that were bolted to the engine block.
BlockCode.jpg
The block codes were as follows 144ci: "N", 170ci: "T"
Note: 200/250ci engines, and some 170's, did not have block codes, as metal tags were used instead.​

Below is an example of the tags used on engines from 64 on. This is the tag from a 1969 250ci engine. They are quite similar to those found on carbs, rear ends and transmissions. They are usually quite accurate, and were normally installed on one of the coil bracket bolts. Unfortunately they are commonly lost or left off after a rebuild.
BlockTag.jpg
bullet-blk.gif
250 is the displacement of the engine.
bullet-blk.gif
69 is the model year of the engine.
bullet-blk.gif
1 is the change level.
bullet-blk.gif
8-L is the year & month produced (68-Dec).
bullet-blk.gif
K45-S is the engine code number.
The engine code number & change level were intended to assist engine shops when they ordered parts. In actual practice very few paid any attention to these numbers, as they only served to complicate the ordering process. Therefore we will not discuss them in greater detail.
four%20main.jpg

Four Main​

seven%20main.jpg

Seven Main​

Main Bearings: All 144/170ci, and 200ci blocks prior to mid '64, had four main bearings. While the 200ci from mid '64 onwards, and all 250ci blocks, had seven mains bearings.
Rods: All 144/170/200/250ci engines have forged H section connection rods, with the exception those built in 78-79, which used either cast iron, cast steel, or nodular iron.
Stroke: The 144ci engine has a 2.50 inch stroke, while the 170ci has a 2.94 inch stroke. The 200 has a 3.13 inch stroke, while the 250ci engine has a 3.91 inch stroke.
Pistons: All 144/170ci engines have cast aluminum flat top pistons with a 3.50" diameter, while the 200/250ci engines utilized a dished piston with a 3.68" diameter. The dish size was normally 6.5 cc's, however a 13 cc dish was used in California engines, which lowered the compression ratio and reduced emissions.
Cylinder Bore: All 144/170ci engines have a 3.50 inch cylinder bore, while the 200/250ci have 3.68 inch cylinder bore.

Cylinder Heads: Depending on the production year, the chamber size, valve size, intake size (manifold volume), and carburetion varied considerably. Carb bores were as follows: 144/170ci: 1.325", early 200ci: 1.500", later 200/250ci: 1.75" (all were 1V carbs).
Lifters: '60-'62 144/170ci engines had solid lifters, '63-'65 144/170ci engines had both styles depending on the year and model, while '66-UP 144/170ci engines had hydraulic lifters. All 200/250ci engines had hydraulic lifters. Example: The '64 Falcon 170ci had hydraulic lifters, while the '64 Ranchero 170ci had solid lifters.

Rockers: '60-'62 144/170ci engines had adjustable rockers, '63-'65 144/170ci engines had both adjustable and non-adjustable rockers, depending on the year and model, while the '66-UP 144/170ci engines had non-adjustable rockers. All 200/250ci engines had non-adjustable rockers. Example: a '64 Falcon 170ci with hydraulic lifters had non-adjustable, while the '64 Ranchero 170ci with solid lifters had adjustable.

Distributors: All 144ci engines, and 1960-mid'64 170ci engines, had a 1/4" hex drive-shaft. The mid'64-UP 170ci engines, as well as all 200/250ci engine,s had a 5/16" hex drive-shaft. Note: This is only a rule of thumb, as it may vary depending on the year and model type.

Starters: Most 144/170/200ci engines had high mount starters, which were mounted above the oil pan rim, while the 250ci engines had low mount starters, which were mounted below the oil pan rim. However some 200ci engines, used in Econoline vans and trucks (1980-83), had custom bell housings (similar to a SBF bell) which utilized a low mount starter.

Freeze Plugs: The 144/170ci engines have 3 water jacket freeze plugs which are visible directly below the exhaust manifold, while the 200/250ci engine have 5 freeze plugs.
This is the easiest way to distinguish the 144/170ci from the 200/250ci engines.
Water Pumps: All 144/170/200ci engines used a 3 bolt water pump, while the 250ci six utilized a 4 bolt water pump. This is the easiest way to distinguish a 250ci from the 144/170/200ci six.
Color Schemes: The 144ci has a blue valve cover and air cleaner, and black block. The 170/200ci engines had an orange valve cover and air cleaner, and a black block prior to 1965. From 1965 onwards the 170/200ci engines had a Ford blue valve cover, air cleaner, and block. Some early 170/200ci motors had an orange oil pan as well. The 250ci engine came with a Ford blue valve cover, air cleaner, and block. However, these color combos were not set in stone, as they did change on some models, and/or specials. Hence this is only a general guideline.
hrdk.png

Summary: Here's how to figure out what size the block is. Identification can be made with a quick glance at three items on the motor, the water pump, number of freeze plugs, and the block code (found on the road draft tube mounting boss). The only trick is determining the difference between a 170ci 4 main and a 200ci 4 main, if there is no block code, as both engines had a three bolt water pump and three freeze plugs. The only way I know of for sure, is to verify the bore size. If I learn of another method, I'll let you know.

• 250ci -7 main: 4 bolt water pump and 5 freeze plugs.​
  • 200ci -7 main: 3 bolt water pump and 5 freeze plugs.​
  • 200ci -4 main: 3 bolt water pump and 3 freeze plugs.​
  • 170ci -4 main: 3 bolt water pump, 3 freeze plugs, and a "T" code (or no code).​
  • 144ci -4 main: 3 bolt water pump, 3 freeze plugs, and an "N" code.

(Note: Early 144/170's had a 1/4" distributor drive, later 170's had a 5/16" drive).​
Written by: AzCoupe

Denver

SUPER Site Supporter
I'll try to dig out a bit more from my archive. but this is what I have on the 300

Denver

Ford 300 Inline 6

240300.jpg

The greatest truck engine ever made.
Specifications
Bore & Stroke: 4.00" x 3.98"
Compression Ratio: 8.0-8.9:1
1965-1972
Brake Horsepower: 170 @ 3800 rpm
Torque: 283 lbs.-ft. @ 1600 rpm
1973-1974
Net Horsepower: 101 @ 3000 rpm
Net Torque: 223 lbs.-ft. @ 1600rpm
1975-1977
Some were the same as '73-'74 others
were bumped up to 120nhp @ 3400 rpm
with the same torque specification.
1978-1986
Horsepower ratings varied from 101nhp, 115nhp, 117nhp
and 120nhp @ 3000-3400rpm. Torque ratings remained
223 lbs.-ft. @ 1600 rpm.
1987 - 1993
Switched from carbureted to electronic fuel injection.
Compression ratio was 8.8:1
Brake Horsepower: 145 @ 3400 rpm
Torque: 265 lbs.-ft. @ 2000 rpm
1994-1996
Brake Horsepower: 150 @ 3400 rpm
Torque: 260 lbs.-ft. @ 2000 rpm
Perfomance Modifications
Carbureted
Air Intake: Most people seem to like K&N's, but any filter open
360* is an improvement over stock.
Carburetors: A Holley 390cfm 4bbl is the most popular choice and
works best especially with stock cam, a lot of people are happy with
500cfm Edelbrocks too though. Only use a 4bbl with an Offenhasuer
or Clifford 4bbl intake, use a 2bbl with an adaptor plate.
Intakes: Both Offenhauser and Clifford make a 4bbl intake for the 300.
Offenhauser seems to be the favorite because it's cheaper and just as good.
Clifford makes 2 and 3 carb intakes also.
Headers: Headman and Clifford are both good choices, ofcourse Headman is
cheaper.
Camshafts: Both Clifford and Isky make a wide range of camshafts.
Ignition: Any performance ingition, MSD is most popular.
Heads: You can have porting, polishing, bigger valves also putting on a
240 head will raise compression.
Exhaust: High flow mufflers, dual cats, no cats, hollowing out cats.
2 1/4" True duals with split headers is suppose to work the best.
Electronic Fuel Injection
Same kind of stuff except instead of slapping on a bigger carb, since fuel
injection doesn't use one, duh, you'll want bigger injectors and maybe you can
find a bigger throttle body that will fit.
Turbos: Some people have had custom manifolds made and used turbos of
Chevy deisils, there are no kits for this so it would be a custom job.
Chips: To my knowledge there are no performance chips for the 300.
Common Problems Ford's 300 inline 6 is a fairly problem free engine for 200,000 to 300,000
miles if properly maintained. Common problems with the carbed models
are vacuum leaks, just little ones can cause hesistation, rough idle, etc.
The stock Carter 1bbl carb seems to like rebuilds too. On the automatic
transmission models some people have problems with overheating, this can
be fixed with a cross-flow radiator and flex fan or a electronic fan. Besides
that if their over reved the 300 is known to throw rods or have early valve train
failure.

64Thiokol1201

Thanks JimVT and Denver, the info is very helpful. I am basically trying to figure out is after market performance parts will work on these snow cat motors?

zspryte

Site Supporter
My '67 Spryte has a 170 CID Ford industrial engine. The engine was probably made in '66. The tag on the engine blocks says its type is: C6PD-6003-C. I can never find parts based upon that number thought. For common engine maintenance parts, I use those for a 1966 Ford Falcon. Mustangs and Econolines both had a 170 CID, 6 cylinders engine option in the same time frame and I sometimes ask for those parts. Looking at what is available for those cars may be useful to you.

I read somewhere that there are some differences between the Ford 170 car engines and its industrial engines of that time frame. Perhaps someone can add more.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the Australians had some performance parts for the small ford sixes, I believe that the heads with a separate intake were rare, but you might take a look at some Australian sites on your six. I found this out by accident by researching info on a 250 in a tug.