• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Honda enters the UTV market.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Click here for pictures and details. Excerpt below.

09/05/2007 - Torrance, Calif. -

With its superior handling, secure feel and comfortable ride, the all-new Big Red is destined to be the MUV of choice for both utility and recreation. Its multiple patents and numerous automotive-based technology features will separate it from all other category contenders.

Key Features

* Powerful OHV, liquid-cooled, PGM-fuel-injected 675cc engine.
* Automatic transmission with Reverse.
* Three selectable drive modes.
* Front and rear independent double-wishbone suspension for an impressively smooth comfortable ride.
* Roomy cab and rubber mounted bucket seats with adjustable backs designed to comfortably fit a wide range of body types and reduce fatigue on long drives.
* Specially designed, high durability, tilting cargo bed.
* Wide variety of Honda Genuine Accessories.
* Summer 2008 release

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmm, it looks an awful lot like the Yamaha Rhino; from the bed to the style, to the engine size, to the overall stance. I assume the Rhino will have FI, their one glaring weakness, soon. Maybe they already have. I have not kept up with them. One strong advantage of the Honda; it's a Honda.

BoneheadNW

One strong advantage of the Honda; it's a Honda.
Does that come with a premium price tag also? Back in the early 90's, when I was into road bikes, Honda was priced above the competition. In my opinion, they were not worth the extra money. Is that the same case here with their UTV?
Bonehead

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was curious about the reference to the automotive type engineering they mentioned, as well as the numerous patents. What would those be? Is it really going to be innovative or are they things that will make very little real difference to the user.

Seems to me there are a couple very different markets to these things. There are the draft horses of the bunch that are designed for real work, Kubota seems to have the key spot in that market, with some of bigger Deere and Bobcat units. Then there are the fun/hunting/all-around units and it appears that the Honda Big Red may fit into this category of general purpose vehicles.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Details on the 2008 Rhino should be out this weekend (at the dealer show). Rumors are a 700cc EFI will be there.

It's early and there's very limited info available about the Honda but so far, the general thoughts are.... yawn. Many comments relate to its looks (and nobody likes them). They're reserving judgment on performance until they can see it closer.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Then there are the fun/hunting/all-around units and it appears that the Honda Big Red may fit into this category of general purpose vehicles.
Bob,

My previous post comes from the Ranger and Rhino owners who are the ones expecting the Honda to compete against.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Does that come with a premium price tag also?

Obviously I don't know. However, in the automotive market, Honda is under-pricing Toyota by a decent margin. And, in every survey I've seen, when asked if the prices were the same, which would you rather have a Civic/Corolla, a Accord/Camry, etc., each survey has favored Honda...by a huge margin with the 18-55 age bracket respondents. So, I wonder how long it will take for Honda to surpass Toyota in the "automobile" segment? (they don't have any true pickup....yet) Honda stomps Toyota in markets close to me. I'm even an example of the above statistics; I strongly prefer Honda to Toyota in the car offerings. I'd pay more for the Honda. Being cheaper just seals the deal. And, yes, I am aware that the car I drive is technically an "Acura", but I call the damn thing a Honda just the same. :tiphat:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
... numerous automotive-based technology features ...

... * Automatic transmission with Reverse. ...

I wonder if this is in reference to a true automatic transmission, rather than a belt-type snowmobile setup. I think at least one of their ATV's (Rincon??) has a planetary type automatic transmission.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder if this is in reference to a true automatic transmission, rather than a belt-type snowmobile setup. I think at least one of their ATV's (Rincon??) has a planetary type automatic transmission.
There's a lot of speculation that the engine and tranny is exactly the same as what's in the Rincon (since the descriptions and specs match).

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
There's a lot of speculation that the engine and tranny is exactly the same as what's in the Rincon (since the descriptions and specs match).

If so, that would put the Honda above everything on the market except the RTV. Although it works, the Salisbury type of clutch/transmission system is a primitive system that is 40 years old. Yes, it works, but my dad has a 1930 Plymouth that still "works" as well. Needless to say, there have been technological advances since then that have improved vehicle transmissions and drive systems though. The same goes for the belt drive systems; they work, but they are not very smooth, not all that strong, and have several other issues. I have plenty of sets of cogs laying around from back in the 70's when I raced. You can change how aggressive they engage with them and change the gearing with the width of the belt. Still, there are better systems available now.