• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Exercise in futility

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do not have the answer. Flow would sure impact the answer still I found it interesting.

Which will fill full first?

Attachments

• WhichWillFillFirst.jpg
    WhichWillFillFirst.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 632

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll go with zero.
Water into it is under pressure, out is gravity. Elbows and fittings every step of the way.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If the flow from the faucet is equal to the flow out of #0, then #7. Since #0 is twice the size of all the rest then even with full flow from faucet #7 might still fill first.
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, I do think you guys nailed it. Since it's hypothetical it is impossible to be sure not knowing all the facts to the equation. :tiphat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
is full meaning overflowing?
That was not stated in the original question but lets assume it does mean full to the brim and overflowing. As long as the water was coming from a spigot with water pressure ....I'd say 0 would be first to overflow.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
As long as the faucet is flowing I would say "0" will fill first.
Haven't you every had the faucet on and the drain open and noticed that the sink still might over flow?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Depends if you consider where the pipe on 7 is considered full or not. if so 7, if not 11.

Agreed, Based on what I see bucket #7 must fill completely before it overflows to #10

That said waybomb is on to something likely.

Last edited:

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
It has to be 0,1,3 or 7.
All the other buckets are fed from a bucket that gets it's water from a bucket that has it's spout at the top.
That leaves out 2,10 & 11.
That also would leave out 4 and the buckets 5,6,8 & 9.
That means that if anyone wishes to build this puzzle he would need to just build buckets 0,1,3 & 7.
Since 0 is bigger than the others I now think it has to be 1 or 7.
Where did Doc get this?
The answer has to be on the internet somewhere?

Checking on youtube I find all kinds of similar things and their "solutions."
People also bring up good points about how much water the tap is blasting into the "buckets" (or containers).
And how constrictive the pipes are.

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got it from FB....a friend posted it and no link or solution was with it.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
11 will fill FULL first, followed by 10.

the key word is FULL. any one that has an overflow outlet on the side will not fill to the top until the one it overfows to is full.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

the key word is FULL. any one that has an overflow outlet on the side will not fill to the top until the one it overfows to is full.
the level of everything plays a big part. some may fill at the same and pressure or flow rate could play a part.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter

We would need further verification to see if that is the case.
If that indeed is the
then it is a trick question that really would have no solution since we have no idea how fast the water is flowing into the buckets.
If it is a moderate flow then the answer has to be 11; otherwise the water will keep pouring out the spouts of any other bucket.
11 has no spout to pour out of.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
IF the pressure coming out of the top faucet in the picture is indicative of how much water it is putting out vs the gravity fed buckets I still think zero would over fill first since the flow into it appears to be much more than the flow out of it. After that 11 would be first then 10 IMHO

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
None. Zooming in on the hose bib, I see the liquid missing the opening on 0 completely.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't believe you need a new puzzle even if the water is missing the primary target and only splashes from the water get into the bucket the question still stands. That just takes the higher water pressure out of the equation.

Here is another version of a similar puzzle with no given answer. what do you think?

Attachments

• WhichWillFillFirst2.png
    WhichWillFillFirst2.png
    240.7 KB · Views: 102

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't believe you need a new puzzle even if the water is missing the primary target and only splashes from the water get into the bucket the question still stands. That just takes the higher water pressure out of the equation.

Here is another version of a similar puzzle with no given answer. what do you think?

That one is easy,,,; #5 will fill before #1 overflows.
Despite possible overflow of #1 #2 will likely never fill completely

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That one is easy,,,; #5 will fill before #1 overflows.
Despite possible overflow of #1 #2 will likely never fill completely

It has to be #5. Notice the pipe to #2 has been blocked so no water flows out of #5.