• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Compatible Snow-Trac Parts

I'm doing a restoration/refurbishing of my 67 Snow-Trac ST4 and I'd like some parts compatibility information. I started a thread already asking for any ideas on steering wheel swaps but haven't gotten anything solid, yet. It's nearly impossible to find steering wheel adapters for early busses that aren't less than $50. But there's another common steering wheel application that may be the answer. I do have some parts on order and should know in a few days if this very common style of steering wheel adapter will be a direct fit. My research shows that it may.

I'm doing an engine swap with a Subaru 2.5 and will need to order an adapter kit containing the adapter plate and flywheel. I'll also be replacing the clutch and starter. If I knew exactly what transmission my Snow-Trac has, I could be getting those things on order right away. I haven't actually pulled the tranny, yet, so I haven't identified it. And, I don't know HOW to identify it anyway, because I don't know shit from shinola when it comes to vintage Volkswagens. If a thread exists that shows which engine/transmission, etc. came in which year Snow-Tracs, will someone please point me to it. I find the search feature basically ineffective on this forum's format.

If there is no existing thread, just some simple info from someone who is knowledgeable in these things would be very much appreciated. Basically, I need to know what year/type Volkswagen Bus had the same transmission as my Snow-Trac, so I can know what vehicle to use When searching for parts that are specific to the tranny. I'm not so concerned with the engine, since I'm yanking and selling it.

Any other info regarding year/model Volkswagen vehicles that used matching parts as the Snow-Trac would also be awesome. I think the entire steering column/gearbox is taken from the bus. Not positive, though. It just looked very similar to an illustration of a bus column I saw while doing research on steering wheel adapters.

Hopefully, these answers are very simple. I can't imagine that there were vast differences in components from one Snow-Trac to the next, but maybe. Thanks in advance for any advice.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
hello Fairbanks there is a couple of master AKTIV snowtrac threads. The best ones are authored by user Lyndon...

You are right on topic with the direction you are going. as it happens many of the machines have been enabled with parts replacements from different years machines. I had a 62 that had evidence of being built in the late 70's ID tags are easy to move and part fitment is super simple.
the point don't get frustrated. and search lyndons threads

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
... don't get frustrated. and search lyndons threads

2 best bits of advice I've seen lately :clap:

I doubt that there are more than a dozen Snow Tracs of the same year that were built with all the same parts! They seemed to buy surplus parts and all sorts of small bits varied from year to year and even within the same year.

Lyndon probably knows more about Snow Tracs, their history, their inner workings and how to fix them than everyone else here combined. Search for his threads and search for his posts. You will find more information than you thought existed.

Sno-Surfer

If you want real specific VW info, try the website The Samba. They can help you identify your parts. I know my transmission is from about a 66' or 67 bus.
I also tried to do the steering wheel swap. Bought the wheel and adapter and it was the wrong adapter. It's all still sitting in a box and I'm still using the stock one....
Is your existing engine and trans shot?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I sent the "it a surprise" to you
one thing if you rebuild the transaxle keep the gear flipped over like it is because the transaxle is mounted backwards from the bus it came out of. if not you'll have 4 reverse.
I think I read that yours was just rebuilt so a rebuild may not be needed.
jim

Is your existing engine and trans shot?

No, they both function. Engine runs pretty good and tranny functions, but I don't trust it without a rebuild. Tranny will get set up with different gear ratio options. I'll install the lowest 1st gear and the highest 4th gear available. 2d and 3rd will be somewhere in the middle. Also switching to 3.88:1 ring and pinion.

I just want to swap the engine to something modern and possibly more reliable, so doing the Subaru conversion.

I think I read that yours was just rebuilt so a rebuild may not be needed.
jim

Where are people seeing all the info of my machine? This isn't the first time I've heard that type of thing. I'd be very interested to see some of its maintenance history.