• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why tear out my perfectly good ceramic floor???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know I work slow, but between arthritis and having going to fencing practice to beat children with metal sticks, I am otherwise occupied so tile jobs tend to get stretched out.

Floor install is done.

Wall tile was started. Got farther than you can see in this photo. 1/2 of the toilet alcove is done. On the long wall we have a new make-up vanity that will be going into place so the tile is stopped at the point where the vanity will start. On the far side of the vanity the tile will pick up again and continue to the end of that wall.

The lovely Mrs_Bob decided she wanted to help. Saved me a lot of up-and-down movement as I just sat on the floor, marked the tile cuts, she made the cuts and brought me the tiles. No fighting or yelling either.

Loving the look. There will be a wooden cap over the top of the tile and that will wrap around the whole room.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 61

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A better photo ... shows the toilet alcove with the tile installed.

The square hole in the wall toward the left of the photo is where the new recessed toilet paper holder will be fitted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 53

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks great!!!

The lovely Mrs_Bob decided she wanted to help. Saved me a lot of up-and-down movement as I just sat on the floor, marked the tile cuts, she made the cuts and brought me the tiles. No fighting or yelling either.
The Mrs. and I don't get along on many projects but I agree with you on this one and have had Mrs. Z do the same.

We were cutting tile and granite for the kitchen and fireplace and I did just as you. Mark the tile and let her do the cutting.

Oh, did I mention it was winter and she had to go outside and run the wet saw? Her apron was frozen within a minute of every time she ran the saw. Better her than me... :whistling:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Toilet alcove is done. Finished that wall behind the toilet this morning. Could have gotten it done last evening but The Walking Dead was coming on so I had to take a break. There are a couple flaws, but those will be hidden by the toilet itself so I can live with the minor flaws. I even cleaned up the blood stains from where I cut 2 of my fingers on a sharp edge :sad:

On the right side of the picture you can see that I still have to wrap that edge around to the bathtub. That will take a lot of cuts, so I'm going to wait until I get the lovely Mrs_Bob to help with that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 46

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Picture does not show if you used a edging trim???

NOPE. Covering the top edge will be wood. It will be 'rabbeted' so the wood will overlap the top edge of the tile by about 1/4". The wood will wrap around the entire room like a 'chair rail.'

Just finished the small area near the doorway. Again, the side of the door frame's casing trim will also be rabbeted so the wood will overlap the edge of the tile.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 45

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The bathroom remodel is moving along at a modest pace. Grouting tile almost completed...floor is completed, walls are 50% donee New make up vanity cabinets are hauled up the stairs, not yet attached to the wall. The old bathroom countertop has been removed and is now safely resting on the front porch. It is HEAVY. Clearly a 2 man job. Or at least 1 real man ... not an old guy with arthritis. Ego shattered, toes & fingers crushed, but no broken bones or internal injuries. If it was 5 o'clock I'd pour a bourbon and claim my work for the day complete.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
More work today :hammer:

Got the base cabinet leveled and attached to the wall, got the center drawer installed. Cut the panel to fit the end, got that attached. Now to clean up the mess and finishe the tile. There will be 1 course of tile as a 'baseboard' under the 'make up' area. Then there will be 8 courses of tile from the panel end all the way back to the door. Because the tile does not go all the way up we decided not to tile behind it because it would have caused complications with trimming out the wood that will run across the top of the tile.

But at least we are ready for the granite tops to be installed now. I think those are scheduled for next Monday?

I think we all would have preferred 2 drawer bases with a center desk drawer, but the room would have been to cramped and I think people would have walked into the corner, or stubbed their toes, when walking into the bathroom. This still looks like a reasonably spaceous bathroom, adding another 15" base cabinet with drawers would have made it look cramped and I think a hazard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 35

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Different angle of the cabinet. Looks like there is plenty of room for more drawers in this photo but that really is not the case. :sad:

On the drawer side we wanted to keep a 36" walkway between the corner of the drawers and the bathtub. I think we managed to actually get a 35" walkway there. I still need to add the kickplate/toeplate, but that can wait until the end.

Now I need to clean out the woodworking tools and bring the wetsaw back in to finish the tile.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 35

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tile is done, it needs to be mopped & wiped down a couple more times, but the work is done. Now we get the granite tops installed.

This is the small "make-up" table. Top is just sitting on here now, needs a bit of silicone under it to hold it into place. There will be no backsplash on this because there is no sink here. Now that the top is here I can run the electric up the wall from below and install a light switch, a mirror, and a light fixture above the mirror. And then the room will be wrapped with two bands of wood.

No clue what type of granite this is other than freaking expensive :sad: :hammer: :sad:

They are still outside with the main vanity top, sink and backsplash.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 30

Kane

Oh, did I mention it was winter and she had to go outside and run the wet saw? Her apron was frozen within a minute of every time she ran the saw. Better her than me... :whistling:
Now that you're almost finished, is there any thought of Mrs. Bob using the wet saw set in the bathtub?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And now the main vanity top, sink & backsplash.

Got to admit it, its a beautiful top. There are some areas of clear crystal in this top that add a lot of depth, in addition to the swirl pattern that gives this top a lot of visual interest and beauty.

On thing I liked about this granite company (I went to 3 different granite suppliers + all the home centers) is that this guy was the only one who let me pick which area of the granite slab I wanted cut into my top. So we picked the slab, then we picked the area of the slab we wanted. And we only paid for what we got. The other companies said I'd have to pay for the entire slab if I chose the area of the cut. The home centers wouldn't let me pick at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 33

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that you're almost finished, is there any thought of Mrs. Bob using the wet saw set in the bathtub?

Wet saw is in the heated workshop now. But the tile for this room is now done!

There is lots of woodwork to do. Some plumbing. Some electrical work. And then done.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Countdown to Thanksgiving and kicking the final bits into high gear.

I had to have the wood milled for me to match up the existing wood, so that was a delay. Same guy (a cabinet maker) matched the stain for me so it all arrived this morning pre-finished and ready to hang. Got more to do. The mirror needs to be totally framed. A second mirror hung and that also gets framed. 3 bands of poplar will wrap the whole room. Re wrap the frames around the door and window too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 21

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another view.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 17

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And 1 more, this was a little tricky but I think looks great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 24

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Done for the day . . . should be completed tomorrow.

Small mirror is on the wall and framed into place.

Got to install a bit trim over the top of the tile and finish around the door. There is some trim over the tile in the toilet alcove too. Also frame out the big mirror.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 19

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The real work is done. Hang some artwork, install some towel bars/hooks/hangers, clean up the mess.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 19

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 18

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 17

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks great Bob and it looks like you made the Thanksgiving deadline as well. Good Job!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I've deliberately stayed out of this thread because my wife has been asking me to do much the same thing to the whole house for 2 YEARS. I've studiously ignored her. I reckon I'll let her next husband do something besides sit around and enjoy my labor!!! :)

Good job Bob!!!!!!