• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Upcoming 500mile/800km hike: Southern France, over Pyrenees Mtns, then across Spain

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. They are both in their early 70s. Most days they walked 20-30km. He had just had a shower and nap after the walk yesterday and when he woke, he couldn't speak then lost feeling in one side of his body. They made it to lugo Spain. He was taken by ambulance to Triacastela.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. They are both in their early 70s. Most days they walked 20-30km. He had just had a shower and nap after the walk yesterday and when he woke, he couldn't speak then lost feeling in one side of his body. They made it to lugo Spain. He was taken by ambulance to Triacastela.
Keep us informed. Always sad to hear about hikers who fall ill on the Camino. It is such a spiritual experience and to go through and hikers have so much emotion invested, especially when they are well into the journey. If I recall, Tricastela is about 80% of the way to Santiago de Compestella, which is the traditional end of the pilgrimage.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I had it mixed up. They made it to triacastela and went by ambulance to Lugo. Still nothing to be ashamed of. They made it a heck of a lot further than me.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had it mixed up. They made it to triacastela and went by ambulance to Lugo. Still nothing to be ashamed of. They made it a heck of a lot further than me.
I thought it was odd they would go from a larger city to a smaller one. Lugo is a fairly big city. Tricastela is a small, beautiful, city.

They have no reason to be ashamed! Lots of people do "the way" in multiple stages. Some do it all at once. Many never make the full 500 miles, but even making 1 leg of the journey is farther than 99.9% of the world's population will every try. I walked with a guy who started in HOLLAND, so his hike was 2 or 3 times longer than my 600 mile journey. Most, probably 85%, never see Tricastela, they fly & bus into Sarria (sp??), which is 1/3rd of the way closer to Santiago and they start at that point. So your paster has literally zero to be ashamed of a lot to be proud of, but mostly it is not about pride in doing it, it is about the spiritual journey along the path.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
A bit of an update. Good in a way but bad in others. First the good. They have arranged for a Canadian medical transport team to fly to Spain and prepare to fly him home tomorrow.

Now for the bad. It was a major stroke and he has no language processing skills or memory. Half his body is limp. But he can react to music. They have a long road ahead once they return. He'll be in our local hospital.

FB_IMG_1654949813461.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Time of a good news bad news update on our ministers husband. First the good news. He was transferred back here and spent months in a rehab facility. He is now walking with the use of a walker and cane. He can speak jumbled words but understands everything.

Now for the bad news. He's been coming to church and was using the elevator to access the main part of the church upstairs. Last Saturday he was there but on his way out, he wanted to use the staircase outside. He lost his balance and fell tumbling down 10 steps outside. His left arm and neck are very bruised but the worst part was he his his head breaking his jaw. He was rushed to the hospital by ambulance where he underwent surgery to have pins and plates installed to hold his jaw together. Surprisingly he was back at church yesterday and is still able to talk and is in good spirits despite the setback.

Just a side note. He was a well respected doctor prior to his retirement a few years ago.