• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thanks to Bob Skurka

flying for 2

Hello my name is Werner Burger. I am from western of Austria (Montafon, Vorarlberg, St. Gallenkirch)
Since Mai 2005 I have a Snow Trac - No 1965. I restored it and one week bevor i drove to my house in the mountain of Montafon valley.
Suddenly my Snow trac stopped. My Variator belt was broken.:mad: :drink: Since that time my snow trac is stands alone on the top of the mountain and is waiting for me :17875: and a new variator belt.

What do now? Telefon, Telefon, ....... Nobody know what i need. Nobody in europa have a variator belt. Next look to internet. I found your forum and Bob Skurka. I aske him to help me. Bob Skurka read me a name: Mike Couch have a variator belt!!! The rescue! Now Mike Couch promised me to send me a variator belt to europa. So I hope I can drive home my snow truc so fast as posible.
Thanks also to Christer Morlind, he have a variator belt M 6747. But I don`t know, whether it is the right one. I would by 3 more variator belts for my friends. One of my friends wants to sell his snow trac. Is there any interesting?
Thank you all for your help. thank you to the great snow trac family.:applause: I will send you picturs after repair and let you hear the 2. part of the story in the next days/weeks .

Burger Werner
www.flyingfor2.at

Attachments

• forum (1)kl.jpg
    forum (1)kl.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 498
  • forum (3)kl.jpg
    forum (3)kl.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 486
  • forum (6)kl.jpg
    forum (6)kl.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 477

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Werner
Welcome to our forum. Yes Bob is a nice contact to have if you have a snow trac problem. He's been researching them for a while now. Very nice pictures. I hope to see some more of the Snow Trac and your countryside.

psst.....BOB,
Whats a variator belt?? Drive belt maybe?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Jetzt sehe ich, warum Sie als Fliegen für 2 registrierten. Sehr nette Web site und Abbildungen.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Burger, I am happy to help. There are not many Snow Trac owners and we have to help each other when we can.

I would like to see more photos of your Snow Trac and your restoration. Where did you find your Snow Trac? How much work did it take to fix it up? Was it green when you bought it? Or did you paint it green?
Werner, bin ich glücklich zu helfen. Es gibt nicht viele Schnee Trac Inhaber und wir müssen uns helfen, wenn wir können.

Ich möchte mehr Fotos Ihres Schnees Trac und Ihrer Wiederherstellung sehen. Wo fanden Sie Ihren Schnee Trac? Wieviel Arbeit nahm es, um sie oben zu reparieren? War es grün, als Sie es kauften? Oder malten Sie es grün?

VARIATOR BELT is the main drive belt that determines which track gets power. So if you don't have it, no track gets power! It is the main part that allows the Snow Trac to steer using a regular automotive steering wheel. They are very durable, but they are critical!

Last edited:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
OhioTC18 said:
Jetzt sehe ich, warum Sie als Fliegen für 2 registrierten. Sehr nette Web site und Abbildungen.

I agree with you 110%......... even if I don't know what you are saying.... :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
He says you really need to go to Werner's website, its awesome, and now he understands why Werner registered as "flying for 2"

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I looked to see where Werner is located. It appears that he is in the western section of Austria, near Switzerland, Leichtenstein and not far from Lake Constance in Germany. From the websites I saw, it looks like a place I'd want to visit.

Ich schaute, um zu sehen, wo Werner lokalisiert wird. Es scheint, daß er im westlichen Abschnitt von Österreich, nahe der Schweiz, Leichtenstein und nicht weit von See Constance in Deutschland ist. Von den Web site sah ich, es aussehe wie ein Platz, den ich würde besichtigen wollen.

villi

This is the variator belt and the drive system in the Snow Trac

Junkman said:
What is a variator belt??? Bob.... can you post a picture of this part?? Junk

Attachments

• variatorbelt.jpg
    variatorbelt.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 479

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka[indent said:
Werner, bin ich glücklich zu helfen. Es gibt nicht viele Schnee Trac Inhaber und wir müssen uns helfen, wenn wir können.

Ich möchte mehr Fotos Ihres Schnees Trac und Ihrer Wiederherstellung sehen. Wo fanden Sie Ihren Schnee Trac? Wieviel Arbeit nahm es, um sie oben zu reparieren? War es grün, als Sie es kauften? Oder malten Sie es grün?

Hey Bob !!
Did you know this is the exact same thing I said about 2 hours ago when I smacked my thumb with a hammer in my shop ??? :eek: I continued to "crotch hop" around for an additional 30 minutes before I stopped feeling my heart beat through my thumb ! . I always wonder what it meant . Thanks
Big Al
[/indent]

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob ,
On a serious note does the Kristi KT3 have these belts or a variation of it ?? I have not even opened the hood on the one I just picked up in Montana . I just parked it and headed for california . I sure wish I could find more information and manuals on Kristi's .I guess I will learn through trail and error .
Big Al

Edited in by Bob so Werner would understand why I replied the way I did.
Auf einer ernsten Anmerkung tut das Kristi KT3 haben diese Riemen oder eine Veränderung von ihr?? Ich habe nicht sogar die Haube auf der geöffnet, die ich gerade in Montana aufhob. Ich gerade parkte es und gehe für Kalifornien voran. Sicherer Wunsch I könnte ich mehr Informationen und Handbücher auf Vermutung I Kristis finden, die ich durch Spur und Störung erlerne.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Variator belt is unique to the Snow Trac. The Kristi uses levers to steer, which probably means you have some sort early form of hydraulic or hydrostatic system drive system (remember the Kristis were designed in late 40's or early 50's). But I will admit I have no idea what system is in the Kristi, I just know it predates the invention of the Variator belt system on the Snow Trac.

The beauty of the Snow Trac system is that it is simple, reliable and takes almost no horsepower to effect a turn. The fluid control systems, while they offer much tighter turning radius than Snow Trac's variator belt system, requires vastly more horsepower. A Snow Trac's variator belt uses only 4 or 5 horsepower. A typical hydro on a snowcat will use 50% of the available engine horsepower.

The biggest problem with the Variator belt system is turning radius. A little Snow Trac has a turning radius similar to a large SUV.

Der Variator Riemen ist zum Schnee Trac einzigartig. Das Kristi benutzt Hebel, um zu steuern, denen vermutlich Mittel Sie irgendeine frühe Form der Art des hydraulischen oder hydrostatischen System Ansteuersystems haben (erinnern Sie sich, daß das Kristis in den späten vierziger Jahren oder in den frühen fünfziger Jahren entworfen waren). Aber ich lasse zu, ich keine Idee welches System im Kristi ist, ich weiß gerade habe, daß es die Erfindung des Variator Riemensystems auf dem Schnee Trac zurückdatiert.

Die Schönheit des Schnee Trac Systems ist, daß es einfach ist, zuverlässig und Nehmen fast keine Pferdestärken, eine Umdrehung zu bewirken. Die flüssigen Steuersysteme, während sie viel festeren drehenradius als Snow Riemensystem variator Tracs anbieten, erfordert in beträchtlichem Ausmaß mehr Pferdestärken. Riemen das variator eines Schnee Tracs verwendet nur 4 oder 5 Pferdestärken. Ein typischer Hydro auf einem snowcat verwendet 50% der vorhandenen Maschine Pferdestärken.

Das größte Problem mit dem Variator Riemensystem dreht Radius. Ein weniger Schnee Trac hat einen drehenradius, der einem großen SUV ähnlich ist.​

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Werner,
Below is an image from the owners manual. It shows the part number for the belt. M6747. This is the only part number I know of for the belt.
Bob

Werner,
Unter ist ein Bild von den manuellen Inhabern. Es zeigt die Teilnummer für den Riemen. M6747. Dieses ist die einzige Teilnummer, die ich für vom Riemen kenne.
Bob

Attachments

• 1Variator-assembly.jpg
    1Variator-assembly.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 453

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
flying for 2 said:
OK, thank you
Werner

Do you have the instruction manual? In the manual it tells you how to change the belt. Do you need a copy of the manual? What year is your Snow Trac? I have several manuals. Members here are sharing manuals and I am making copies to share with others.

Also, it would be great if you could take photos of how you change the belt and post those photos here. That would help other people in the future.

Haben Sie das Anweisung Handbuch? Im Handbuch erklärt es Ihnen, wie man den Riemen ändert. Benötigen Sie eine Kopie des Handbuches? Welches Jahr ist Ihr Schnee Trac? Ich habe einige Handbücher. Ich könnte Ihnen eine Kopie schicken. Mitglieder hier teilen Handbücher und ich erstelle Kopien, um mit anderen zu teilen.

Auch sie würde groß sein, wenn Sie nehmen konnten Fotos von, wie Sie den Riemen ändern und jene Fotos hier bekanntgeben. Das würde den Leuten zukünftig helfen.​

flying for 2

It was not my idea to paint it green. I think It was green from the beginning. I could not find red colour under the green colour. I found the snow trac near a hotel in the mountain of austria. I worked for 1 month to repair it.

Werner

flying for 2

:beer: Yes, today is a good day! Christer Morlind send me 3 brand new Variator belts from Sweden for me and my friends. Thanks to you and Mike Couch who would send me also a variator belt. But shiping is much more faster and the cost and tax ist much more cheaper from sweden to austria than from usa. The price is 1.200 skr for 1 Variator belt.

Everything have a good side. Also a broken variator belt. So I could find many nice people round the world for helping

When I start repair the snowtrac I send you some pictures. In the last days we had much snow. I hope I can find the snowtrac again.:bitterCol

Werner Burger

flying for 2

:beer: Yes, today is a good day! Christer Morlind send me 3 brand new Variator belts from Sweden for me and my friends. Thanks to you and Mike Couch who would send me also a variator belt. But shiping is much more faster and the cost and tax ist much more cheaper from sweden to austria than from usa. The price is 1.200 skr for 1 Variator belt.

Everything have a good side. Also a broken variator belt. So I could find many nice people round the world for helping

When I start repair the snowtrac I send you some pictures. In the last days we had much snow. I hope I can find the snowtrac again.:bitterCol

Werner Burger

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
flying for 2 said:
In the last days we had much snow. I hope I can find the snowtrac again.:bitterCol

Werner Burger

YIKES :4_11_9: I hope you can find it too! Glad to hear you got your Variator Belts. We are looking forward to new pictures from you. Look below for instructions to change the belt. I hope this helps.
YIKES :4_11_9: Ich hoffe, daß Sie es auch finden können! Froh, Sie erhielt zu hören Ihre Variator Riemen. Wir schauen vorwärts zu den neuen Abbildungen von Ihnen. Schauen Sie unten nach Anweisungen, den Riemen zu ändern. Ich hoffe, daß dieses hilft.​

Attachments

• 1-var-belt-photo.jpg
    1-var-belt-photo.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 363
  • 1-var-belt-instructions.jpg
    1-var-belt-instructions.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 361
  • 1var#2.jpg
    1var#2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 352

flying for 2

Christer Morlind send me 3 brand new Variator belts from Sweden for me and my friends. Thanks to you Mike Couch who would send me also a variator belt. But the cost for shiping and tax ist much more faster and cheaper from sweden to austria than from usa.
I will send pictures to forums forums when I start and finish the repair.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is more information from the manual.
Sind hier mehr Informationen vom Handbuch. :tiphat:

Attachments

• 1belt#3.jpg
    1belt#3.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 350

flying for 2

Hello, here I am again from austria!

My snow track runs!. :17875: Today, I could find my snow track again, high up in the mountain of austria. We have a lot of new snow and -15.° C.
It was a hard work to repair my snow track with the rariator belt of christer morlind. It was so cold, so that my fingers are adhesive at the metal. The steering element works now better than ever before. After
a test run, I drove with the Snow TRACK into my garage. (2,5 meter under the snow!) I send you more pictures from my beautiful country, when the weather is better and the sun is shining.

greeting from austria
Burger Werner

Attachments

• wnow-track.12.3.06 002.jpg
    wnow-track.12.3.06 002.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 337
  • wnow-track.12.3.06 004.jpg
    wnow-track.12.3.06 004.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 335
  • wnow-track.12.3.06 003.jpg
    wnow-track.12.3.06 003.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 335

flying for 2

more pictures from today,
Burger Werner

Attachments

• wnow-track.12.3.06 006.jpg
    wnow-track.12.3.06 006.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 335
  • wnow-track.12.3.06 007.jpg
    wnow-track.12.3.06 007.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 328
  • wnow-track.12.3.06 013.jpg
    wnow-track.12.3.06 013.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 327

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
3 more photos that Werner sent me.:a1:

It sure is nice to see it up and running again. I just wish we had some snow here. Ours is gone, we got a lot of rain. Maybe Austria can spare some of that high mountain snow and send it my way?

Attachments

• wnow-track.12.3.06 014.jpg
    wnow-track.12.3.06 014.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 333
  • wnow-track.12.3.06 015.jpg
    wnow-track.12.3.06 015.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 327
  • wnow-track.12.3.06 011.jpg
    wnow-track.12.3.06 011.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 329

flying for 2

Bob,
thank you for post the fotos. I had some problems to do it myself.
Yes, I can spare some of that high mountain snow and send it to you with my snowtrac. :)))

Werner burger

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
WOW great pictures! I wish the shipping would have been cheaper from the USA to Austria. How long did it take you to dig out your garage? Man thats alot of snow!