• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Going camping; need an ice maker

Bowl oF Soup

I'm planning to go camping with the family sometime in May and I thought that it may not be a bed idea to start making the necessary arangements on time :D

For starters, I should need an ice maker definitely and some other gear, but I'll get to that some other time; one thing at a time :p Obviously, an ice maker should be portable, and here ends everything I know about ice makers :D

No, I'm just joking, I actually did my homework and done some research on the matter. I've read all there is to know about ice makers and now I need some solid suggestions :D

What ice maker do you use and why that particular one?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't own a travel ice maker.

Why not just buy a couple bags of ice for $2.49 each and toss them in a cooler?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Why not just camp up north or in the winter. Use the money and space savings for additional beer.

Problem solved.:clap:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kind of a confusing first post. You're going camping and the first thing you came up with as a priority is an ice maker? Sounds like a serious party.

I'll stay on subject and not discuss food, clothing, shelter but will echo what Melensdad said. Why not just get a couple bags of ice and put it in a cooler?

For an ice maker, you'll need the maker, a power source, a supply of water to make the ice... That's too much weight, cost and time.

jwstewar

Are you talking camping with a camper? If so, we do have a portable ice maker that we use in our camper. We've been using it for a couple of years. Works great. It is a Magic Chef brand that we ordered from Wal-Mart online.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
You have to be in an RV of sorts. Nobody backpacks with an icemaker!!!!

Our icemaker is encorporated with the fridge. So, water on, power on and it's making ice .... slowly. Even with a portable icemaker you're never going to make enough ice to sink the Titanic. :biggrin:

Our usual solution is to put a couple of bags of ice in a cooler and put that in the shower while we're moving. A good cooler will keep it frozen for days.