• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Scooter lift rebuild.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So most of you know I have a mobility scooter to get around when there's any walking involved. We were in Duluth Minnesota last weekend and had my lift and scooter on the back of the vehicle.

First, let's say it's been a struggle to get the lift setup just right so it didn't slam forward when you put on the brakes. And the company that builds the lift only sells it with a 1 1/4" hitch setup as they seem to think that only people with small cars or minivans will need a mobility scooter. So with that being said, I had to use a 4" drop adapter to get from my truck receiver down to the scooter lift along with a 2" into 1 1/4" adapter to connect to the lift. When you have that many connections on a hitch setup there's gonna be problems eventually.

We were halfway through a busy intersection when we heard and felt a loud bang followed by scraping from behind. What happened was the 2 into 1 1/4" adapter (sold by Reese) had snapped in half causing the lift to drop backwards and nearly sever the scooter in half.

Thankfully I have safety chains on the lift as it's like a trailer. I had been using the lift setup like it was with no problems for 6 months.

So today I set out to rebuild the lift and fix all of the damage caused. First I tackled the wiring harness for the lights that ripped in half. Then I had to remove the turn signal lights and replace the rubbers around the lights that shredded when it dragged on the ground. I also had to do some touch up paint. The lift has 3 winches to hold the scooter down. One was bent from the accident.

I removed the 1 1/4" shaft from the lift and brought it over to dad's. We picked up a 2" piece of square tubing and drilled out a hole for a hitch pin then installed it on the shaft and welded it in place. So that eliminates the need for 2 hitch pins. I still need one though to be able to connect to the riser bar and didn't want to weld the riser bar to the shaft. You'll see why in the next post.
6e9b2960c6cbd8fd212a11291d01a338.jpg
0cc069bf8614906226ff5f2c0541df18.jpg
dd289fde04d923d5fbb446296e3a2294.jpg
e5107fcd86facae0061533b5dfa53807.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
This is why. I needed to be able to hook up lift behind the camper. A couple weeks ago I did but used two risers pinned together. That created all kinds of problems. So we torched apart one riser and extended it to 18". Now I have a pin connecting into the receiver and only one more connecting the lift to the extension.
acf1ba75010cf3f15e2b5f95108868be.jpg

J5 Bombardier

Good looking hitch now . It's those rear trailer bumpers that worry me, my previous Jayco and current Sabre don't impress with their mounting, there isn't much under to hook on to. After moving the spare tire to underneath storage, I lived with a 3 bike carrier on the back bumper until the kids got older and stopped traveling with us . YES !
J5 Bombardier

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Good looking hitch now . It's those rear trailer bumpers that worry me, my previous Jayco and current Sabre don't impress with their mounting, there isn't much under to hook on to. After moving the spare tire to underneath storage, I lived with a 3 bike carrier on the back bumper until the kids got older and stopped traveling with us . YES !
J5 Bombardier
Yes. I hear ya. Those rv bumpers aren't the strongest. Thankfully the scooter lift has next to no tongue weight. I have reinforcement brackets that need to be installed to support the bumper.