• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bandsaw question

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
There seem to be people here that know s bunch about most subjects, so here goes.

I bought a 14" Rigid bandsaw when I started woodworking. It served me well. On a laser, I installed a 6" inch riser block. The Grizzly one fits perfectly and is cheap enough. Again, it has worked well.

Now I had needed to resaw 12" X 9" blanks. It did it, but struggled all the way. Can I just pit a bigger motor on it?

Thank you
Andy

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
There seem to be people here that know s bunch about most subjects, do here goes.

I bought a 14" Rigid bandsaw when I started woodworking. It served me well. On a laser, I installed a 6" inch riser block. The Grizzly one fits perfectly and is cheap enough. Again, it has worked well.

Now I had needed to resaw 12" X 9" blanks. It did it, but struggled all the way. Can I just pit a bigger motor on it?

Thank you
Andy

I would think so. Does yours have a 3/4 hp motor? I think the newer models have a 1 hp motor so that might be an easy upgrade if the frames are the same.

I think Carter sells a sealed ball bearing roller guide kit. That might help too.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
There seem to be people here that know s bunch about most subjects, do here goes.

Thank you
Andy

You might want to get a different blade unless you've already done that.

Blades that are intended for cross cutting often will net remove the sawdust through 9 inches of cut and are generally wider.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you all.

Yes, I am using a resaw blade.

Yes, I got the Carter ball bearing guides.

I really like them.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you pull off the top cover, are there multiple pulleys available? If so, just changing which pulley is being used may do it for you. The smallest pulley on the motor side would provide the most power (but will cut slower).

Not a Ridgid but here's what I'm referring to.
band_saw_pulleys.jpg