• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowtrac Drive Sprockets on CAD

oilline

As the title says, does anybody have a drawing of the drive sprockets on CAD?
I would like to cut some from UHMW plastic.

nwerring

I presume mine is the new big wheel version ?

Ok. It does not really matter, because the teeth on the sprocket are the same - only the thickness of the sprocket and bolt pattern are different. I had the 3D scan people make a model for the thick version in a solid disc. Then one can cut it down to the version one want. They cut out a hole about 3" in the middle for the axle nut/shaft.
I'm picking up the first uhmw sprocket from the post office later today. Will be fun to see how they came out? I'll post a photo later.

nwerring

Here's the sprockets I had made. They look really nice. Have to adjust the mounting hole a little (in depth), but otherwise perfect. I was not able to attach the CAD file here, so send me a PM with your email and I will try to email it to you. This one is for the later model Snow Trac. If you have the earlier one, you have to drill new mounting holes and make the sprocket a little thinner.

Attachments

• IMG_5133.jpg
    IMG_5133.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_5132.jpg
    IMG_5132.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 449

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
this is one stock and two thicker sprokets lyndon had made. the thick one worked fine and are still on a few machines.
DSC00860.jpg

DSC00858.jpg

schmidt

I too am looking for the older style sprockets. The attached photo is from a few years back. I purchased these sprockets from Christer over in Sweden probably 10 years ago. I did try reaching out him, but no response. Appreciate any leads. Thanks, Brad

Attachments

• DSC_5954.jpg
    DSC_5954.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 407

oilline

I have the old style sprockets looking at the picture above. Strange really as it is a very late machine , #2517.
When did the new type sprocket start in production ?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the old style sprockets looking at the picture above. Strange really as it is a very late machine , #2517.
When did the new type sprocket start in production ?

Around 1970 or so, when Acktiv bought the rights to manufacture the Snow Trac from Westmaskerskinner. This is also when the front two boggies were replaced by a single big wheel.

Your machine my have been converted to the two band track, as parts are more available, and two band tracks are known to stay on better than the three band were.

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
almost forgot about you. your snow trac is looking good. the new engine is doing ok?

schmidt

Hi Jim, Yes the machine is doing well here at Mountain Home Lodge and Don's new 1600 engine is doing the same. Thanks too for the lead on the solid Continental Tires which got a good workout this winter. I plan to replace the remaining 6 tires with the solids next year. Any sources on the older style sprockets? Thanks, Brad

vintagebike

I can get these made up in Boise using hp water jet cutting and IPX red super UHMW from Interstate Plastics in both new and old sprocket style. They say the price will be very reasonable. :brows: Anybody want to join in? 4-6 weeks out. Steve

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Steve I would be interested in the .DWG files for the Older larger bolt circle sprockets.

Mike

I am struggling with niels drawing, I go them to open in solid works. and I am making strides in saving them but......

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry my serial number is 2317
http://s481.photobucket.com/user/oilbeback/media/snowtrac.jpg.html
As you can see it is the big wheel , 2 bogies, but has the old type drive sprocket and 2 band tracks.
I wondered if this one was assembled by Bruce in Scotland using left over parts?

I believe your machine was sold by McCarthy machine while the Snow Trac was still in production. Those made after Aktiv stopped making them were a parts clean up run, and the engine hoods look nothing like the production units. Yours looks like a normal production high cab, with two band tracks on it. Maybe some one got tired of running out of the three band originals, I don't know... But I have heard several times the two band tracks stay on better..

Nice Snow Trac btw. I would love to own a high cab model. :brows:

I have to say, I am interested in some UHMD for the older two band set up, sprockets as well. They are quiet running for sure. The clickety clack goes away with them.

Regards, Kirk

oilline

Ive quickly drawn up a old type sprocket on CAD, file attached if anybody need it. Mounting hole PCD just guessed for now as couldnt be bothered going out to measure.

It may need some perfecting when i can compare it to a good condition sprocket.

Attachments

• sprocket1.pdf
    163 KB · Views: 192

schmidt

Hi Steve,

I would be interested in what I believe is the older style. See photo on this post for Mountain Home Lodge. I may know of someone else who maybe interested too, not sure on the type at this time, but that can easily be confirmed. Can anyone comment on comparing composite to the original brass? Quieter, longevity, wear issues, etc. Thanks, Brad Mountain Home Lodge

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
some really tuff material is available now . if you went with that you may have good success. I only seen one in use and it was worn bad .I have no idea what was used to make it.

SnowTrac Hunter

Someone had posted dimensions previously for sprockets. Neils sent me an STP file which I could open with Wedge, but without having a compatible version of AutoCAD I couldn't dimension.
The dimensions that were posted in another thread were incorrect, so I am trying to correct per layout.

Outer Tooth Diameter - 17-1/4" (17.25")
Outer Tooth Radius - 8-5/8" (8.625")

Base Diameter - 15-3/8" (15.375")
Base Radius - 7-11/16" (7.6875")

Tooth Degrees - 90*, 77.1428571*, 51.4285714*, 25.7142857

Circle Circumference - 54.19247"
Tooth Center to Tooth Center - 3-7/8" minus (3.8708")
Tooth Tip Width - 1" (Need to Verify)
Space at Base - 1-1/2" (Need to Verify)

Thickness - 1/2" to 1" UHMW depending on model.

Hope this is helpful. I have an older two band model. I would like to start out with 1/2" and see if it is durable enough before I modify my sprocket to fit thicker UHMW. Prices of UHMW vary depending on location. I purchased a piece of 18" x 10' for $350 in Anchorage, Alaska. You may be able to find cheaper in the Lower 48.

Thanks,
Joe:hammer:

Attachments

• SnowTrac Sprocket Dimensions.jpg
    SnowTrac Sprocket Dimensions.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 143
  • SnowTrac Sprocket Dimensions 2.jpg
    SnowTrac Sprocket Dimensions 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 147