• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Interesting drive shaft demo

KT3survivor

my buddy showed me this a couple years ago because I couldnt wrap my head around what he was trying to tell me. it really puts a completely different perspective on everything with the sound of the card and sprocket added.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
picture speaks a 1000 words, video just leaves us speechless... LOL :)

great explanation to those lifting their 4x4...

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
my buddy showed me this a couple years ago because I couldnt wrap my head around what he was trying to tell me. it really puts a completely different perspective on everything with the sound of the card and sprocket added.

I'm going thru the same thing with a good friend who is an excellent mechanic. I'll have him pull it up on you tube so he can watch. I wouldn't have believed it before I watched the video.
Mike

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What this demo did not show is that you can obtain constant velocity output from non parallel input and output shafts. What is required is that the angle at each joint is the same. Many of the Tuckers have this feature so check for angles at each end of the intermediate shaft. Not as easy to measure as parallel engine center line and pinion centerline. There are velocity limits tied to the angle at each end as the intermediate shaft must slow down and speed up two times for every revolution. This is angular acceleration. Another caution is you want at least one degree of angle at each end to prevent destruction of the needle bearings ( brinelling) do to lack of lubrication.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for additional knowledge, sno-drifter!! I wasn't aware of the angles needing to be equal. Question: in the case of a pickup, for example, as the load in the pickup bed increases do the angles remain equal?
Mike

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It depends on the geometry of your suspension. Usually the torque from pulling hard or fast acceleration will tend to lift the front of the pinion and cause angle misalignment. I have installed bars almost parallel with the leaf springs. The geometry of them is such that as the truck is loaded, the pinion stays parallel with the engine centerline and transfer case (remote mounted). You can feel the vibration of an out of time or wrong angle drive line by putting your fingernails on the gear shift knob (manual trans). A good spring making shop will have wedges of varying degrees to correct the pinion angle. Place between spring and axle spring perch. I would install one with about one degree down angle so that under load the front of the diff rotates up into the correct angle. Much easier than remounting the perches, make sure your u-bolts are long enough.