• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Salt cat hel

Frostybear1

I have a late 70s salt snowcat made in Utah. It has a wesel rear end in it.My question is how to shift the 2 speed rear end.should the cat be moving when shifted?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Range shifts should be done while just coming to a stop, or while stopped..

Parts for that diff are not getting any easier to come bye. Treat it like you don't want to break it.

Is the machine a Litefoot?

Regards, Kirk

Frostybear1

Re: Salt cat help

Yes it is a litefoot. I have owned this machine for a couple of years never have used the low range. Never needed to but I was trying to get it to work.the shifter is very hard to pull. When I do get it to move the cat goes in to neutral. Thank you very much 300 H&H for your help maybe it's best not to use the low range.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the weasel axle should shift pretty easy the wider tracks on that rig put a nasty amount of torque on the lengthened axle shafts the only real weakness. if you need parts I have access to tons of weasel rear ends in the summer the tundra is littered with weasels up here

Frostybear1

Thank you Don. No need for parts right now (I hope) just trying to get it to shift? I have no experience with the wesel rearends. It's way good to know you have access to parts.

Frostybear1

My salt cat has 5 tires per side too front and one rear are filled with from. Would it be better too fill the rest of them? The tracks are 3ft. Wide. Recently had too flat tires on the middle tires valve stems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
im not a big fan of them my Thiokol has al filled tires and I seem to have 1 per year falling apart on the plus side it really dosent stop me from running as they start to come apart

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
I had a Salt cat as well and sold it last year. Shifting was never an issue, but could only be done at a complete stop. The issue that I had was that occasionally in low range, the 2 speed selector would sometimes jump out of gear and force the cat into a free wheel condition. This was not a good because in my case it put me in a no brakes and no steering ability situation. The other issue I had was that the Weasel rear differential side gears are a 10 spline and although great for the weasel, they are not really designed for the added stresses of a larger wider track machine like the Thiokol.

After 2 sets of broken axels,and a couple sketchy situations on steep terrain, I found an expensive solution of having custom full float tapered axles with drive plates made from the best materials available. This proved to be a good repair but did nothing for the issue of occasionally popping out of low range.

All in all, I liked the cat but felt like it still needed some R&D before being reliable. High range never gave me much issue other than it felt too fast for faster for maneuvering in tighter quarters.

I prefer to have at least the front and rear tires foam filled if the front is not already a solid rubber. I have had good luck with foam filled tires and just had two more done. I only foam new tires though not used ones.

Frostybear1

Thank you all for the replying. I was told I shouldn't foam all the tires because there needed to be some give? But this winter have had too flats thinking of foaming all the tires.

4TrackCat

Site Supporter

Thank you all for the replying. I was told I shouldn't foam all the tires because there needed to be some give? But this winter have had too flats thinking of foaming all the tires.

I agree that the foam should only go in the front tires. This will ensure that you do not lose track tension between the front axle and the rear driver in the event of a flat tire. As far as the other tires, I'd suggest a stiffer side wall as well as the use of tubes. It is also important to maintain a adequate and consistent air pressure to keep the sidewalls from chaffing on the tire guides on the back of each grouser. All solid tires can also greatly affect the quality of the ride. Just my .02.