• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac engine questions

horsedoc49

So for my second post , I have an engine question. Among the many parts I got with the Snow Trac was an engine that was apparently overheated and damaged after about 30 mins run time. The facts are second hand so no details, just that it was a refurbished engine that the previous owner put in it, then ran it without the proper cowlings etc.
so now I have this 1600 dual port that looks great externally, crank moves by hand, the rest is a mystery. I've never worked on a VW engine, but I may make this the first. What type of damage would you expect ? Should I contact a mechanic or is this something I can tackle. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but not a mechanic.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Ron

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd start with a compression test done with the throttle wide open, coil disconnected. This will tell you what kind of shape the pistons,rings vales and cylinder bores might be in... All of the cylinders should be relatively even in the PSI they make. As I remember they should all be above 110 PSI to be considered OK. 140 would be better...

If it has compression, then a test fire would be in order. This will tell you oil preasure at the crank bearings and and idea of how tight the bottom end is. It may aslo let you make sure the cooling louvers are operating. These movable "shutters" only let air in to cool the cylinders when the cylinder temp is high enough.

Get the book "How to keep your volkwagon alive" at a book store. a wealth of in formation there.:smile:

Ask questions here, you will probably get an answer!

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
personal experience if it was hot ditch the heads a valve will eventually fail the lower end night be ok. first I would drain the oil and check the screen for metal if you have metal a complete rebuild will be in order. other damage could be rings and pistons I'm working on a vidieo fo a vw rebuild. when done it should help you.

horsedoc49

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to get an engine stand and I'll check the compression, oil screen, and go from there. At least I have a running engine so this would be a backup.
I'm looking forward to seeing the video, easier to learn with pictures.

NorCal

Before you do any compression testing I would retorque heads and do a valve adjustment, change oil and test run....It may be ok..