• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Overlooking the simple solutions

jwstewar

We use automatic waters in our barn for the goats. Have a total of 5 of them, 4 for the smaller stalls and a large one for the larger area. They started out working great, but then they got to the point they started leaking where the float valve goes through the edge of the container (galvanized metal on the small ones and plastic on the large ones). The original cork gasket that came with it didn't last terribly long. So then I bought gasket making material. That lasted even less time. So then I started looking for rubber washers that would go over a 3/4" pipe. That was easier said then done, but finally found some. They had just a little too big of hold in them. Still leaking. So finally my wife start bitching loud enough Saturday that I had to figure something out considering the mud pit in the barn. I pulled it out and determined to find something to fix it. Looking through my stash I came across my box of Harbor Freight rubber O-rings. I did the big plastic bucket first. I did 1 inside and 1 outside. Perfectly dry. I then did one of the galvanized ones. Just put 1 on the inside. It only took me 2 years to come up with such a simple solution. Why in the hell was I over thinking it?:hammer:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We use automatic waters in our barn for the goats. Have a total of 5 of them, 4 for the smaller stalls and a large one for the larger area. They started out working great, but then they got to the point they started leaking where the float valve goes through the edge of the container (galvanized metal on the small ones and plastic on the large ones). The original cork gasket that came with it didn't last terribly long. So then I bought gasket making material. That lasted even less time. So then I started looking for rubber washers that would go over a 3/4" pipe. That was easier said then done, but finally found some. They had just a little too big of hold in them. Still leaking. So finally my wife start bitching loud enough Saturday that I had to figure something out considering the mud pit in the barn. I pulled it out and determined to find something to fix it. Looking through my stash I came across my box of Harbor Freight rubber O-rings. I did the big plastic bucket first. I did 1 inside and 1 outside. Perfectly dry. I then did one of the galvanized ones. Just put 1 on the inside. It only took me 2 years to come up with such a simple solution. Why in the hell was I over thinking it?:hammer:

After 50 years of "fixing" other people's inventions for a living, I too have found the KISS principle to be most effective. Congrats on your discovery.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And, thanks for passing it on.