• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How long to keep concrete wet?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Concrete guy said to keep our new sidewalks and slabs wet to help them cure and not crack. How long do I need to go out and "water" my sidewalks?

daedong

Concrete guy said to keep our new sidewalks and slabs wet to help them cure and not crack. How long do I need to go out and "water" my sidewalks?

The slower you let it dry the stronger it will be. In warm weather the best thing to do is wet it and then cover with plastic. Concrete needs hydration to cure to its full potential strenth.

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten

I've always heard the first 72 hours were the most important for concrete setting, so i would keep it wet at least 3 days, maybe 4.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It's been pretty warm here since it was poured on Thursday. I think it didn't get watered on Friday until evening, three times. Today it's been flooded with water 5 times.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I watered my concrete for 3 days after it was poured since it was done in August also. I was following the advice of the contractor who also said the slower it cures the stronger it will be.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
cover it with a piece of visqueen or a tarp and you don't have to water it a second time.
I've also had contractors recommend spraying it with an acrylic sealer as soon as the top looks "dry" on the day of the pour to seal the surface (about 2 hours after pouring) - then you don't need to water it either. You can also add the acrylic at any point after - this helps limit spalling and freeze checking in the winter, but i highly recommend a "broom finish" to the surface before spraying otherwise it'll be slick when wet.

that said - watering sidewalks isn't so critical, unless he poured them less than 3" thick, because they're not load bearing surfaces like the driveway slab.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've also had contractors recommend spraying it with an acrylic sealer as soon as the top looks "dry" on the day of the pour to seal the surface (about 2 hours after pouring) - then you don't need to water it either. You can also add the acrylic at any point after - this helps limit spalling and freeze checking in the winter, but i highly recommend a "broom finish" to the surface before spraying otherwise it'll be slick when wet.
I always use the acrylic sealer. I put it on as soon as I can walk on the new crete (with just socks on).
I'd say on smooth finishes it doesn't make it any more slippery but it does help a lot when you're cleaning up a spill as whatever was spilled can't soak into the crete.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
that's why we put it on the same day as pouring the basement floor.I would still hesitate to leave a troweled finish on a driveway or sidewalk due to the fact it gets slick when wet.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would still hesitate to leave a troweled finish on a driveway or sidewalk due to the fact it gets slick when wet.
Agreed. The smooth surface is inside the buildings, broomed outdoors. They both got the sealer applied as soon as I could walk on it.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I quit watering it sometime over the weekend. Since it's a sidewalk, it will see no load at all. It's as white as can be and looks great. The contractor I had do it is a good guy if you can wait on him to fit you in. I had so many projects for him to do it took a few weeks to finish them all up but I'm happy :smile:

It's got a brushed finish across the walk inside of the edger lines and brush finish with the edger marks on the outside if you can envision that. It's a 4' wide walk with a 6" edger tool on each side.

He did some yard grading work, burying the sump pump line, stump removal, drive graded with 6" of road millings on top of the original gravel. I need to water the drive and start packing the road millings with the tractor on Friday.