• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow-Trac 3D model

unigami

Hello everyone! I thought I'd introduce myself to this forum since it has been so helpful to me, and I thought you might enjoy a little project that I'm working on.

I've been a Snow-Trac fan ever since I was a youngster back in the 60's and saw the Matchbox model. It was my favorite one - and I still have it! I don't collect Matchbox any more...but these days one of my hobbies is making 3D models of objects that interest me, especially examples of cool technology from the past. When I was deciding on my next project, it occurred to me that a Snow-Trac model would be really cool and fun to make.

I use a 3D modeling program called SketchUp that is available for free from Google. Once I have the model completed, I'm going to try and do some photo-realistic renders of it in a nice winter setting. I'm still a bit of a newbie with SketchUp, and especially with rendering, so this project will be a nice challenge.

I'm using photos and manuals that I have found on this forum and other places on the Web for my references. I was really thrilled to find out that so much information is available and that there is still a fan-base for these vehicles. I've learned a lot about the Snow-Trac in my research and that is part of the fun in doing this.

I thought I would post some images to this forum of my work in process so you can see what I'm doing. Any comments or criticism is welcome! I want the model to be as authentic as possible, although I'm still not sure if I'm going to render a "stock" ST4 or modify it like some many of you have. They look really cool with extra lights, roof racks, and what-not.

Anyhow...here is what I have so far, I think I'm done with the crawlers. My plan is to pretty much complete the model before I start applying textures to the faces.
If anyone notices something missing or wrong, please let me know! I'll post updates as I have them.

Attachments

• Crawler_800.jpg
    Crawler_800.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 704
  • Crawler2_800.jpg
    Crawler2_800.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 718

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great first post!

I too fell in love with the MATCHBOX Snow Trac.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
It is obviously going to be the later model snowtrac as it has the large drive wheel and not the three double bogies. Nice work, I have never heard of the programme you are using, it would be interesting to know more about it.

unigami

Thanks for all of the nice comments! Here's an update with more progress on the fenders and hood.

For anyone is interested in SketchUp, you can find more about the program here: http://sketchup.google.com/

Google acquired it back in 2007 and offers it as a free program to encourage people to make 3D buildings and submit them to Google Earth. The goal is to have a 3D model of every building on the planet :) It is a surprisingly easy program to get started with, and once that you get more advanced and install some plugins, it is amazing what can be done. It can be a very useful tool for designers, architects, and artists.

Here's a link to a great gallery over at the SketchUcation forum: http://tinyurl.com/3c39ywv Most of the images there have been post-processed with a photo-realistic rendering program, which is what I plan to do with this one too.

The tracks probably took me about 8 hrs to do, but it is hard to say because I work on it in bits and pieces and spend time looking at photos and the parts manual. I'll say one thing, time really flies when I'm working with it!

Attachments

• snow-trac_8a.jpg
    snow-trac_8a.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 672

unigami

I have the overall body shape finished...going to start working inside the cab now.

Attachments

• snow-trac_12a-2.jpg
    snow-trac_12a-2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 624

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good I would like a copy when your finished. don't forget the bars and headlights on the outside.
Jim

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like it. Not to be critical, but to my eye at least, there is more depth below the front bumper on an ST. The lower part of the grill isn't tall enough.....Other than that it's looking very good!

Later, Kirk

unigami

I like it. Not to be critical, but to my eye at least, there is more depth below the front bumper on an ST. The lower part of the grill isn't tall enough.....Other than that it's looking very good!

Later, Kirk

Thanks...I see what you mean about the lower part of the grill. I'll have to see if I can fix that without screwing up everything I've done so far!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
unigami,

Stop out in western Iowa this winter for a ride in a real Snow Trac! (this is an open invitation) Of course it would be educational for you to do this.......

Regards, Kirk

unigami

I fixed the height of the lower grill, it's now 3" taller and it does look better (thanks again Kirk!). Also added windshield wipers and mirrors.

Don't worry, I won't forget the lights and side rails!

Attachments

• snow-trac_12a-2FIXED.jpg
    snow-trac_12a-2FIXED.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 560

unigami

Here's an update showing a rough outline of the interior. Very utilitarian. I'll come back to this later and put in textures for the gauges and etc.

Attachments

• snow-trac_dash2.jpg
    snow-trac_dash2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 524

unigami

Here's another update...the first two images are straight out of SketchUp, and the next two are "clay renders" that are from Kerkythea - a rendering program that I use.

The next update should have some textures!

Man...I feel like I have personally crawled around every nook and cranny of this machine....!

Hope you enjoy these!

Attachments

• snow-trac_21_scene1_lines.jpg
    snow-trac_21_scene1_lines.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 536
  • snow-trac_21_scene2_lines.jpg
    snow-trac_21_scene2_lines.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 508
  • snow-trac_21_scene1_clay_edges.jpg
    snow-trac_21_scene1_clay_edges.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 508
  • snow-trac_21_scene2_clay_edges.jpg
    snow-trac_21_scene2_clay_edges.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 497

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is good. It took me a few to notice you can look in the windows.
Jim

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This machine is really looking good, especially with the small bits! But once again I have a very small issue with the spare tire on top. unigami, any guess, is it too big or too little? Maybe it's just me...

Regards, Kirk

unigami

This machine is really looking good, especially with the small bits! But once again I have a very small issue with the spare tire on top. unigami, any guess, is it too big or too little? Maybe it's just me...

Regards, Kirk

It is the same diameter as the others, but I made it a bit wider because it looked too thin to me. Maybe I should put it back the way it was. Another thing to consider, is that SketchUp renders views exactly like a camera, so objects that are closest to you, and in the overhead view it is the spare tire, appear larger.

unigami

wheel shocks are missing

The parts manual shows detail for this, but I can't quite figure it out. Looks like there is a shock only on the front wheels?

I can't find a decent picture anywhere that shows it. This pictures below, for example, are similar to the angle that my views show and you can't see anything. If anyone can provide a photo that shows the front and rear wheel mounts, for the approximate model year I'm working on, I'll take a shot at it!

Attachments

• 4683320326_0f567317b7_o.jpg
    4683320326_0f567317b7_o.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 355
  • 5731545192_583e8ca678_o50.jpg
    5731545192_583e8ca678_o50.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 360

unigami

This is about as good as I can do it without more info...it won't be very visible in my final scenes so I'm not going to worry about it too much right now...

Attachments

• snow-trac_22shockb.png
    snow-trac_22shockb.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 364

unigami

A couple views out of SketchUp. I'm going to try some photo realistic renders next.

Attachments

• snow-trac_SU_scene1.jpg
    snow-trac_SU_scene1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 330
  • snow-trac_SU_scene2.jpg
    snow-trac_SU_scene2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 332

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
wheel shocks are missing
Jim the three band track models had no shocks on the boggie wheels which was a bad idea as these shocks keep the boggie trucks from flipping over on rough ground some folks up here added limiter straps cables or chains to theirs to prevent this problem