• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Camso / Soucy comparion

alryA

I'm sure you guys don't know that I have many, many years of experience using Camso and Soucy pods on both UTV's and ATV's. All these hours of use and servicing them, gave me opinions of there respective quality. If some of you guys have interest in these pods*, feel free to have a conversation about them here. Maybe questions??

*the individual units are called pods.

Attachments

• griz with pods field.jpg
    griz with pods field.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 438
  • UTV rear tracks at ABR (DL).jpg
    UTV rear tracks at ABR (DL).jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 532
  • bosspodsnow.jpg
    bosspodsnow.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 433

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
perfect timing, Hi there I am currently installing set of Camso 4S UTV tracks on a Suzuki mini truck. It is posted in the ATV, UTV section. Any information regarding DO's and DONT's plus maintenance tips, set up and operation would be greatly appreciated. Marty

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
in thirty words or less, are the assemblies i see for sale cheap at swap meets ( haydays , Iola , carlisle ect ) because the micro wear on each element of the assembly compounds to make them not track straight.
(mechanical)

I get the impression from the seller(s) that they put them on with a vision of conquering the offroad world, then find out that the PSI is pretty low, this is doubled by the leading edges digging downward...
( application )

I like the idea of pod tracks, but they are heavy on the tractor sized scale and I never see them on a UTV longer than 4-6 years. The mountain bike club strugggles in the park and are considering Pods, I told them with out lockers they would only be a marginal improvement over a large oversized balloon type aired down tires. am i off my mark?

alryA

Marty, Sorry to say that I'm not a fan of Camso pods after years and years of use. Problem is they make idlers with inexpensive bearings molded right into them. Then they press them onto the pod frame idler studs so you need to buy a special tool to pull them. Real pain in the butt! Camso also says you should spray the bearings with grease since the bearing seals are so poor. Idlers are in the $30+ range of cost. I've meet the Casmo rep at shows and asked if they had switched to better bearings and "no" was his response. Sorry that I don't know of any maintenance one can do and make them last longer. The bearings are poor and of cosure have poor seals.

Sorry to be the bearer of the news. Soucy makes them so they can be serviced and that why our pods are made by them..

perfect timing, Hi there I am currently installing set of Camso 4S UTV tracks on a Suzuki mini truck. It is posted in the ATV, UTV section. Any information regarding DO's and DONT's plus maintenance tips, set up and operation would be greatly appreciated. Marty

alryA

Quality pods on a powerful atv is what I'd recommend to folks who do XC trails. I've become a fan of Can-am and Soucy made products. Having used the latest, greatest SWT Skandic, I can't recommend them either.

in thirty words or less, are the assemblies i see for sale cheap at swap meets ( haydays , Iola , carlisle ect ) because the micro wear on each element of the assembly compounds to make them not track straight.
(mechanical)

I get the impression from the seller(s) that they put them on with a vision of conquering the offroad world, then find out that the PSI is pretty low, this is doubled by the leading edges digging downward...
( application )

I like the idea of pod tracks, but they are heavy on the tractor sized scale and I never see them on a UTV longer than 4-6 years. The mountain bike club strugggles in the park and are considering Pods, I told them with out lockers they would only be a marginal improvement over a large oversized balloon type aired down tires. am i off my mark?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Marty, Sorry to say that I'm not a fan of Camso pods after years and years of use. Problem is they make idlers with inexpensive bearings molded right into them. Then they press them onto the pod frame idler studs so you need to buy a special tool to pull them. Real pain in the butt! Camso also says you should spray the bearings with grease since the bearing seals are so poor. Idlers are in the $30+ range of cost. I've meet the Casmo rep at shows and asked if they had switched to better bearings and "no" was his response. Sorry that I don't know of any maintenance one can do and make them last longer. The bearings are poor and of cosure have poor seals.

Sorry to be the bearer of the news. Soucy makes them so they can be serviced and that why our pods are made by them..

That being said I already have the Tracks and plan to run the a couple hundred miles a year in the winter then put 26" UTV tires in the non snow months. On average how many miles do you think the Camso tracks will go before requiring a lot of parts. Marty

alryA

We ran them about 900 hours per season and in there 3rd year, they started to loose idlers. Despite what any manufacturer claims, you can't practically operate them in the summer.

That being said I already have the Tracks and plan to run the a couple hundred miles a year in the winter then put 26" UTV tires in the non snow months. On average how many miles do you think the Camso tracks will go before requiring a lot of parts. Marty

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
So the will go about 2700 hours at 5 mph thats 13500 miles. at the 150-200 miles I will put on them per year for cabin access they will last the rest of my life. That number is in line with other research that I have done. Are there any tricks on set up like setting from track angle etc. Thanks Marty

alryA

5mph is unrealistically slow. How long could you run that truck at that speed?? We operated machines in the 12 to 16 range.

You can get the manuals online at Camso.

So the will go about 2700 hours at 5 mph thats 13500 miles. at the 150-200 miles I will put on them per year for cabin access they will last the rest of my life. That number is in line with other research that I have done. Are there any tricks on set up like setting from track angle etc. Thanks Marty

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
is it safe to say the wear is a sliding scale.

first year 5%

second year 15%

third year 45% wear due to the mis alignment of the previous years wear?

I guess a more direct ask, if you would have taken the time to change idlers in year two ahead of the failures would the pod survive longer?

I just see rust forming in the shed during summer and then speeding the wear up after year 3?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
5mph is unrealistically slow. How long could you run that truck at that speed?? We operated machines in the 12 to 16 range.

I will have the wife a dog and a bed full of stuff I don't want to lose. The Tucker that I have does about 5-6 mph without tearing it up. The road up to the cabin is normally 5'-10' of wet heavy snow that crusts over at night. This year I got a curve ball, 2 weeks ago I drove up there ( 4.5 ) hours to find that it had been and was raining with 40 degree temps. the snow melted 1/2 way up the mountain within a couple miles of the cabin. I have a lifted truck with 35" tires and lockers and we couldn't make it when we got to a steep hill in about 2 feet of snow. The steel track tucker couldn't drive the forest road with mud and rocks so I got turned around. I already had the mini truck and came across a new set of Camso 4s UTV tracks that were never used and made a trade for them. I may be able to go faster than the 5 mph I am used to that will just be a plus The Suzuki mini truck weighs 1400# has 66 hp. with 4 hi 4 lo and lockers in lo and 2nd gear you could run 5-6 mph all day. After I prove it out I am hoping to replace the Tucker with it. Marty

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
What do you have for antirotation mounts?

The anti rotation are round bars, the front one attaches to the lower A-arm and has adjustment with a nut and spring for adjustment. The rear is a bar with the same nut and spring that attaches to the rear end. P.S. I grew up in Michigan but a bit further south than you. Marty

alryA

do you have anti-rotation mounting kits? The 1st photo shows the mount kit. The 2nd shows it installed. The anti-rotation parts need something to be anchored to.

The anti rotation are round bars, the front one attaches to the lower A-arm and has adjustment with a nut and spring for adjustment. The rear is a bar with the same nut and spring that attaches to the rear end. P.S. I grew up in Michigan but a bit further south than you. Marty

Attachments

• boss anti-roationmount.jpg
    boss anti-roationmount.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 387
  • boss anti-roationmount1.jpg
    boss anti-roationmount1.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 567

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
do you have anti-rotation mounting kits? The 1st photo shows the mount kit. The 2nd shows it installed. The anti-rotation parts need something to be anchored to.

Yes very similar to that, I will probably have to modify a little to fit the A arm on the mini truck. I can take a picture tomorrow of the anti rotation set up that came with the tracks and post it. I have wheel adapters ordered to fit the truck to the tracks and a lift kit. It should show up in about a week. Getting everything bolted on shouldn't be a problem. Set up is where I will need help.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I was thinking the travel limiters should be set to travel as far as they can without rubbing. Does that sound right? Marty

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

Thanks I found an online manual that does have initial set up dimensions and adjustments. Marty

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
A number of years ago I purchased a used Polaris Ranger with Duratracks, which were perhaps the most expensive of the different track options at the time. I bought the machine, which was very highly optioned, at a very reasonable price.

Scott and I took it to the same location we usually test Tuckers. The performance was VERY underwhelming. On a packed trail it was okay, but if you ventured off the trail it sort-of chewed it's way through the snow.

I never used it again and sold the machine. Yes, it was THAT disappointing.

alryA

The anti-rotation limiters have soft stops going in both directions. One way you are against rubber donuts while the other is a steel spring. Least that's how most are. Do post photos when you can.

I was thinking the travel limiters should be set to travel as far as they can without rubbing. Does that sound right? Marty

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
A number of years ago I purchased a used Polaris Ranger with Duratracks, which were perhaps the most expensive of the different track options at the time. I bought the machine, which was very highly optioned, at a very reasonable price.

Scott and I took it to the same location we usually test Tuckers. The performance was VERY underwhelming. On a packed trail it was okay, but if you ventured off the trail it sort-of chewed it's way through the snow.

The psi is .62 dry and .83 for the truck loaded with 2 people and equipment. Thats comparable to the Tucker . What did your front tracks look like? I see some that do not have a leading angle like mat tracks. I don't think that style would like powdery snow or hills to climb. The snow at the cabin is always wet heavy, I can almost make it in the 4X4 if not for the hills. So I am hoping. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0377.MOV
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0378.MOV
    2.2 MB · Views: 205

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
The anti-rotation limiters have soft stops going in both directions. One way you are against rubber donuts while the other is a steel spring. Least that's how most are. Do post photos when you can.

The front one attaches to the a- arm and has the rubber bumper the rear is for a rigid Axel and does not have the rubber bumper, I thought they were missing but looking in the manual the solid Axel type do not have it but machines with a arms in the rear have a different mount with the rubber bumper. The manual also gives measurements for initial set up. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 288

alryA

The bottom photo must be a rear pod?? Those factory bent bars will get bent in the field. The anti-rotation system goes through hell of stress while stuck or getting up something steep, like a ditch. As you might image, the heaver the vehicle, the more the stress on these. The anchor for them needs to seriously mounted as well.

Last edited:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
The bottom photo must be a rear pod?? Those factory bent bars will get bent in the field. The anti-rotation system goes through hell of stress while stuck or getting up something steep, like a ditch. As you might image, the heaver the vehicle, the more the stress on these. The anchor for them needs to seriously mounted as well.

The top photo is the front and that funny little bracket attaches to the A-arm. The bottom photo is the rear and is bent for clearance around the track both sides look the same. The manual says the end of it with the hime joint mounts to the rear Axel parallel to the ground. I will have to fabricate a bracket when the lift kit and wheel adapters show up.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

I looked up Duratracks they look to be more heavy duty for any type of rough terrain but they are not very big for that reason. Specifications say total track area of 1400 square inches, on a 1500# ranger thats 1.07 psi The compulast tracks that have are 2400 square inches. that is a pretty big difference. We will see.

alryA

I've installed about 6 sets of these onto ATV's, UTV's and our 6x6 so you might be helping others by describing the various parts.

Attachments

• pods in bus shed.jpg
    pods in bus shed.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 308

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

Thanks I was thinking the same there are going to be situations where the tracks can't rotate enough to match the ground going over a berm or ditch. When in doubt make it stronger. I think I am now getting my head wrapped around what I need to do to get them installed. The help is appreciated. Marty

HankScorpio

I hang out at 10,000ft in the winter. Sno-cats and snowmobiles. I wondered why nobody is ever up there on ATV's or UTV's with tracks. They seem to sell lots of them and I see them around in the valleys on trailers. I have seen 2 in 10 years up in the snow. A friend put a set on his razr and I learned why, they are terrible. Super slow, no flotation and they destroyed his razr. Granted the little toys are built pretty poorly but after he tried them for the season everything was trashed. Most of the bearings were toast, bent axle and suspension parts. He sold the whole thing off and said never again.

alryA

Well gee, pods are not the answer to the worlds problems..... Having said that, I've spent over ten years grooming ski trails with them and we do receive snow here. Seriously, we do get snow here and I spent about 1000 hours per season utilizing them. I'd not go back to a SWT Skandic if that was the only machine available. Razor are a sport, high speed, sport kind of machine. That's why I'd not own one.

I've already mentioned poor bearings that some manufactures use.

I hang out at 10,000ft in the winter. Sno-cats and snowmobiles. I wondered why nobody is ever up there on ATV's or UTV's with tracks. They seem to sell lots of them and I see them around in the valleys on trailers. I have seen 2 in 10 years up in the snow. A friend put a set on his razr and I learned why, they are terrible. Super slow, no flotation and they destroyed his razr. Granted the little toys are built pretty poorly but after he tried them for the season everything was trashed. Most of the bearings were toast, bent axle and suspension parts. He sold the whole thing off and said never again.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Here it is with the 3-1/2" lift kit and the tracks on it. What I have left is the rotation limiters. The front ones I will attach to the front A-arms as intended. on the rear I was considering removing the factory bar arrangement and make a bracket with bumper stops that will contact the leaf spring front and rear to get the maximum rotation. Do you think that concept will work or do they need resistance all the time? My Tucker snow cat does not have anything limiting rotation but this set up may still need that. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 259

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
looks cool, My experience is with a home built set on a IH scout. we tested and played quite a bit before putting limiters on, Long story short the fenders are all trashed on the scout. it happens right when you think everything is good. and them some weight transfer or uneven terrain gets every thing twisting in ways you would never think...

Your tucker is heavy, longer and equa-distant from center