• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Crazy weekend with my Fencing students

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Posted previously that Dasha won the GOLD medal in the conference championships. She ran the tables and went undefeated for the entire season, won GOLD medals in every event she entered in the high school conference.

Kevin, the boys captain at Marian, picked up the 5th place medal at the conference championships.

Dasha is so fed up with the head coach that she refused to wear a "Marian" shirt to the event and instead wore one of my fencing club t-shirts in protest :yum:

When it came time to receive her medal she argued with the head coach about wearing a MCHS 'warm up' jacket. I told her to do it. Figured I'd be the one who'd get in trouble if she didn't.

This is the LAST high school event that Dasha will ever compete in. She is totally done with the school's team. I'm not even sure if she broke a sweat to win this medal. I told her that since she was riding home with me that she was not allowed to bring stinky sweat into my car :hammer:

Dasha and I left the Championship event right after the Saber medals were awarded, she had a conference call with a college recruiter and wanted me in on the call. We stopped at MARS CHEESE CASTLE in Kenosha, WI on our way to make the conference call.

Both Saturday and Sunday one of my Lowell HS fencers, who graduated last year, competed at Northwestern University and now fences for Lawrence University. Lexi was my team captain at Lowell last year. This year she is a varsity college saber fencer.

Dasha and I drove up to Northwestern today watch Lexi. The two know each other because Lexi helped me coach the high school kids when she came home from break.

I introduced Dasha to the head coach at Northwestern. They have the #2 ranked women's fencing team in the US right now and he invited me to bring Dasha up to Northwestern on Wednesday for a formal meeting, tour of the fencing facilities, to meet the team, meet with the athletic/academic advisor, etc etc etc. Dasha is the #7 ranked Cadet Saber fencer in Russia, twice Gold medal winner for the national team, and might be a good fit for the Northwestern University fencing team. She has already beaten some of their varsity fencers in national competitions and the coaches have watched her this year. Dasha is hunting scholarships and N.U. is notoriously stingy with scholarships but we are hopeful that they may offer up some money.

Pics of Dasha, Kevin & Lexi from this weekend

Attachments

• 2+CcUuXgTbCm8pZA5c3GRA.jpg
    2+CcUuXgTbCm8pZA5c3GRA.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 120
  • CuO79BGtS7mObULjnp0KFA.jpg
    CuO79BGtS7mObULjnp0KFA.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_6723.jpg
    IMG_6723.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 119
  • fullsizeoutput_682d.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_682d.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 122
  • S+gUJF8GRgKydTwavoElhg.jpg
    S+gUJF8GRgKydTwavoElhg.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 121
  • fullsizeoutput_682c.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_682c.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 125

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What a weekend!!!!! Congrats Bob!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks

It was pretty fun.

No fencing for me today :clap: None :thumbup:

Tuesday I meet with the foreign exchange student program to educate them on Fencing in high school, NCAA recruitment, USFA rules, Dasha's needs, etc.

They are failing her and are reaching out for help. They are in a better position to help her but I'm the one who has been doing it because they actually relied upon the head coach to provide advice. I don't blame them. She portrays herself as an expert and anyone who is clueless about fencing would assume she is. And she has more experience than I do, and probably better credentials. Dasha's mom has pointed out lots of problems, I have pointed out lots of problems. So they now realize the head coach talks a good game.

Its also private lesson night at the club, so I'll likely go right from the meeting with the foreign exchange program straight to the club.

Wednesday the lovely Mrs_Bob & I take Dasha to Northwestern for their fencing practice, coaches meeting, interviews, etc etc etc

Thursday & Friday are regular school practices for J-V only.

Saturday is a make-up team event that is not on our schedule. Its Junior Varsity only. And only 4 schools are attending. I will probably go. Maybe? But honestly I do not want to go. They won't even have real referees. They plan to use varsity students as referees, and most of the varsity kids are horrible referees so it could be a total shit show and therefore impossible to properly coach. If I get asked to do just about anything else, I'll do that. Even a honey-do list :unsure: