• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Phones around the country will buzz with the 1st national emergency alert test

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Phones around the country will buzz with the 1st national emergency alert test Wednesday
By STEPHANIE EBBS
Oct 2, 2018, 1:10 PM ET

https://abcnews.go.com/US/phones-co...rgency-alert-test-wednesday/story?id=58233273

On Wednesday at 2:18 p.m. EDT almost all the cell phones in the country will go off in the first nationwide test of a wireless emergency alert system.

FEMA officials say they expect the alert to reach 75 percent of wireless-enabled devices, including cell phones and smartwatches. The alert will not interrupt a phone call or an active data session, though FEMA and the FTC are working to make sure the information reaches more people.

And even if cell phone users have opted out of other emergency alerts for imminent weather threats or AMBER alerts they should still receive the national-level alert, which is meant to be used in the case of national threats like a nuclear attack or terrorist attacks in multiple cities.

Despite being called a "Presidential Level Alert" emergency messages sent through the system won't be written by Donald Trump or any other president. Emergency messages are pre-written and approved by various government agencies in advance of any test or emergency.

The message Wednesday will read "Presidential Alert: This is a test of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed."

About two minutes after the wireless emergency alert, the broadcast system will send a similar message through radio and television stations.

Attachments

• 84D78735-A9E6-472A-8FAC-3B023D379873.jpeg
    84D78735-A9E6-472A-8FAC-3B023D379873.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 142

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was in my office. 2 land lines and 1 cell phone. TV was on.
Only alert received was on the TV.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I was in my office. 2 land lines and 1 cell phone. TV was on.
Only alert received was on the TV.

TV was on. Landline phone on desk beside me. Cell phone on desk. Only alert was on the cell.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Everyone's phone here worked but mine. :unsure: I guess I was on the schedule to be couned amoung the dead when the disaster was over.:yum:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah we got the alert on both of our iPhones. Just hit the power button once, no more annoying tone. Same with the TV as soon as the alert came on, just hit mute.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Missed all the excitement. Phones, TV, electronic gizmos inside. TR outside working on a beautiful fall day. Just me and my power tools. The way it should be.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was golfing today and was in the clubhouse when I got the alert. It just vibrated since I had the sound turned off. Sure glad I was not putting at 2:18.