• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

8 days of rain

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
It has been raining in New England for the past 8 days and it looks like we will finally get some relief sometime tomorrow. I put out 5 gallon pails to judge the amount of water and so far, I have had them overflowing every day. The stream behind my home is at the highest level that I have seen in more than 25 years. My yard used to flood whenever it rained, so I regraded it and installed a 6" drainage pipe to carry the water to the other side of the road. That pipe has been going non stop since all this started. I have only one spot that the water is pooling, so that will get fixed in the spring. The grass has grown so much that it will take two cuttings to get it back down where I normally keep it for the fall. Unfortunately, I won't be able to cut until the ground starts to firm up. When you walk across the grass it feels like there are sponges under your feet. I was going to lime the grass but didn't get to it before the rains. The lime probably would have washed away if I had. I am convinced that the job that I did installing the perimeter drains around the foundation when I built are the best thing that I had done. Not one sign of moisture in the cellar. If it were not so wet outside, I would have checked how much water was coming out the pipe. The weather man says that it is about 18" so far for this area. Now, I know how Noah felt. They are also forecasting rain for Wednesday and Friday. All summer it was dry as a bone with no rain at all.

How are the rest of you Northeaster folks doing with this rain?

JimR

Charter Member
Hey Junk,

I think we got close to 20" in Paxton. I finally got water in my basement this past Sunday. It went into the one room I have carpeted and closed off. I sucked out about 15 gallons so far with a Wet Vac and my dehumidifer. It's all dried out now. Wait till the next round of weather hits us this weekend. My sister in Leicester was not so lucky. The stream behind her house flooded leaving 3 feet in her walk out basement.

BadAttitude

Junk
Down here in the SE corner, we also got hammer'd during that time frame, but not like the rest of the state did. Even though it can be a PTIA at times living on top of one of CT's mini mountains, I don't regret it. There'd have to be an "end of the world" rain storm before it would flood me out. Errosion control is my only fear.

More heavy rain is predicted for Sunday. Maybe 2" or so. This must be pay back time for that wicked drought we had during the summer. I'm sure all the local farmers are thinking the same thing. Hope you don't float away. :StickOutT

BA

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
The water has to come up about 45 feet before it will get into my basement. Thanks for the Sunday warning. I have half of the junk out of the garage making room for the 4 ton of pellets. Now I have to get all that stuffed back into the garage before the rain. I think that it is time to fill the dumpster and eBay with some of the garage treasures.... :tiphat: