• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Who will win our 2008 Presidential election?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know it's early, but I was thinking this might be a fun thread to start now, and look back on as we get closer to the election.
Who do you think will win in 2008 and why? This might not be the same person you plan to vote for, but who realistically at this point in time appears to be on the right track to the presidency.

Gatorboy

Laura Bush -- If we are going to have a woman President, I'd rather look at her than Hillary. Plus, Laura is much nicer too!

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Can't we just go the next 4 years w/ out one.. getting a new one always seems way too expensive.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, we're all aware of the front-runners but I don't know if many of them can/will reach the White House.

I do believe there's enough prejeduces in this country that will hinder the electability of either a woman or black president. I also believe that many are looking for a moderate. The extremes have caused too many issues and I believe mainstream American's are pretty sick of it and will vote accordingly.

Looking at the current contenders, I believe the VP candidate selection will weigh heavily as many may be looking for a "package deal".

Being such, I believe Giuliani is probably the front-runner and with someone like John McCain or Ron Paul as a VP, may win.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good choice BC.
However I'll guess that we are ready for a black president and that Barack Obama will be the next person to occupy the whitehouse.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc said:
Good choice BC.
However I'll guess that we are ready for a black president and that Barack Obama will be the next person to occupy the whitehouse.

I agree Obama is very high on my list, however he is going to be very suceptable to the same flame-out that Howard Dean suffered if gets on the wrong side of the media.

dzalphakilo

Banned
bczoom said:
Being such, I believe Giuliani is probably the front-runner

Perhaps at first, but Giuliani will get more scrutiny over time (particulalry if he leads) and with all of his personal issues, as well with some of the people he's really rubbed the wrong way in NY, I don't see him holding top spot.

Of course I'm wrong, but he (Giuliani) wouldn't be where he's at if it were not for 9/11.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
Perhaps at first, but Giuliani will get more scrutiny over time (particulalry if he leads) and with all of his personal issues, as well with some of the people he's really rubbed the wrong way in NY, I don't see him holding top spot.

Of course I'm wrong, but he (Giuliani) wouldn't be where he's at if it were not for 9/11.
Agreed in that he'll get a lot of scrunity but being a pretty straight-shooter, I believe he'll discuss it and be forthright in his responses. I believe many others will attempt to hide their past. We've already seen many of his closet skeletons as they've been shown in the past.

Re. rubbing people the wrong way in NY, I still believe (based on conversations I've had with many in upstate NY), the way he's rubbed people in that state isn't 1/2 as bad has either Hillary or George Pataki.

Agreed that 9/11 put him in the spotlight but that gave him an opportunity to show his true colors and his leadership skills under adverse situations. Let's momentarily compare him and his actions under extreme conditions to let's say another mayor. Maybe New Orlean's mayor Nagin.

Anyway, I still think he's the one to beat and based on Doc's initial question of who do I think will win (and not necessarily who I'd vote for), I still think he's got a great chance.

humor_me

Doc said:
Who do you think will win in 2008 and why? This might not be the same person you plan to vote for, but who realistically at this point in time appears to be on the right track to the presidency.

Can't we just have one of those crazy-rich types from years past that wanted to buy the presidency?
Uhm, that Forbes guy or H. Ross Perot come to mind.

I think either of those would be better candidates than the bunch we have now...:respect:

Can we write in a candidate?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure you can write in a candidate .... but maybe we should start a thread for who I wish would be president. The question here is who do you think will win the election that is over 1 1/2 years away.
I ask now so that after the election next year we can dredge this up and see who comes closest to getting it right.
I'm assuming whoever will win is someone we all are aware they will be in the running. A Perot or Bloomberg could throw their hat in the ring and change things dramatically. Or, as someone else mentioned, we could witness another Dean like incident.
It's all in fun, ....so take your best guess.

Gatorboy

Screw it ... I'm going to announce my candidacy.

I can see it now, bumper stickers saying ..

Gatorboy in 08: a bad-tasting medicine that the country will later be glad it swallowed.
Gatorboy
in 08: giving political correctness it's walking papers.
Gatorboy
in 08: a kinder, more gentle nation -- rubbish!
Gatorboy
in 08: leaving kids behind that can't cut it.
Gatorboy
in 08: everyone wins. sorry, there will always be losers -- deal with it!

dzalphakilo

Banned
bczoom said:
Agreed that 9/11 put him in the spotlight but that gave him an opportunity to show his true colors and his leadership skills under adverse situations. Let's momentarily compare him and his actions under extreme conditions to let's say another mayor. Maybe New Orlean's mayor Nagin.

I'd argue that it was eaiser for Giuliani to handle the crisis of N.Y. You have a common enemy of the nation who attacked U.S soil. The attack was quick and unnanounced, and was kept in an immediate area. Once the threat was over, you could deal with the damage. People pulled together as a nation, and it was Giuliani who was in the spotlight of other peoples heroics. It was up to Giuliani to screw it up, which he didn't do.

Before the attack on 9/11, Giuliani wasn't doing so well via personal opinion/polls. However, if history presents luck to a man, it's up to the man to take advantage of it, which Giuliani did very well with 9/11.

Nagin is just a clusterfiasco, particularly after the fact.

I think if Giuliani didn't have his "baggage", he'd probably be it for the republican party. Ironic that is was in part due to him (Giuliani) that Clinton is where she is at.

Ironic as well that with the personal lives of some of the front running Republicans, they remind me more of the Democrats who the Republicans are so used to bashing when it comes to morals and the personal choices you make in your life.

God help us all, we may need it.