• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Skidozer 302

Birch Boy

Looking forward to the pictures of your restoration. I am doing the same thing this summer. I think the toughest thing is going to be the dis & re assembly of the tracks because I need to replace a bunch of the tire guides and a good number of the nuts/bolts that hold the grousers on the trackr. I also need to weld/patch up a few of the aluminum grousers. This track work looks tiresome.

swixb

update: have engine running, have removed all wheels and adjucted spindle angles on most, a few were welded in place, so played musical axels, and am as close as I'll get to th progressive pattern. have sanded the rust off one side, and repainted. Have designed the cab extention, and will start building that in a few weeks. have some pic's I'll post in a few days. Rewireing this will be a challenge, but it is required.

swixb

cab extended, raised 14" to allow for a average person to be able to stand in the back...

Attachments

• IMG00112-20110710-1244.jpg
    IMG00112-20110710-1244.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG00113-20110710-1245.jpg
    IMG00113-20110710-1245.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 838

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is going to make you a nice snow cat! I have alot of repect for the old ski dozers, having put in my share of stick time. Well built, sturdy machine if used as intended.... Love the cab extension, great work so far!

Regards, Kirk

Birch Boy

RE: 302 Skidozer. I need another driver sproket. I am sending one to Fall Line to get refurbished but I need another one. Doesn't have to be in good shape as I can get it refurhished as well.

snowbird

I like what you're doing to modify your passenger space.:clap: I'm just now getting in touch with our local search and rescue folks with a proposal to volunteer bringing my SkiDozer to snowbound emergency situations and I've forwarded a copy of your design to them. I'm think cold and/or injured folks might want to be in that enclosed area.

swixb

How wide is a strecher & how long? My rear door is a bit small, only 30" wide...
Have sides all built out with 30x60 windows and access panels that flop open to reach into the compartments under the bench seats. Fuel, tools, gear...
planning on wraping it in red .040 alum skin in early Jan.

snowbird

I'm now on the search and rescue resource list. I think I'll make a square tube frame for the rear of the SkiDozer and cover it with tarp material with a rear door and some windows. Good thought to make the door big enough for a stretcher! I plan on a heater for that area also.

Birch Boy

Good job on the machine. If I remember from earlier pictures I think you had 3 rubber pieces on your track with the drive sprocket on the outer drive space. You might consider spreading your grousers and adding a 4th rubber section. I have 4 sections on my 302 and even with that additional floatation and grip I can still bury it on a good incline and it would be awlful if you can't get to the location of an emergency.

swixb

makes it 12' wide though...and then you cannot transport it w/o pilot cars..
plan on running mine with three belts, 2 in 1 out with a wheeled guide rail inside to support the saging. see how it does in the Colorado powder....
I bought a dual fan heater from a RV, should crank out some heat. got to love eBay.

swixb

Pic of the 302HD almost fully wrapped in .040 red alum skin. still need to cut out the 6 factory windows and the rear door. The large side cutouts are for a 60x30 window on each side and access panels under them. Fuel on one side and general storage on the other.

Attachments

• skinned cat.jpg
    skinned cat.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 582

swixb

Been a long time coming...but it is finally starting to get close...
put one track on...then unrolled the other only to find is was in much worse shape than the other, had a bunch of track guides bent/smashed. Wonder if it was run with a flat tire? I have removed them and welded on new guides.
The problem i now have is cracked Alum grousers, some of the inner square grousers are cracked. Was wondering if anyone has slid steel inside the ~1"x.75" hole to give the alum grouser additional strength right where the drive cog applies pressure? Build a internal steel bridge?

Attachments

• 302HD track one.jpg
    302HD track one.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 480

Birch Boy

I replaced the square tube aluminum with square tube steel and it worked well. I turn the grousers around where necessary but my tracks are wider and not symmetrical with respect to the drive line.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Been a long time coming...but it is finally starting to get close...
put one track on...then unrolled the other only to find is was in much worse shape than the other, had a bunch of track guides bent/smashed. Wonder if it was run with a flat tire? I have removed them and welded on new guides.
The problem i now have is cracked Alum grousers, some of the inner square grousers are cracked. Was wondering if anyone has slid steel inside the ~1"x.75" hole to give the alum grouser additional strength right where the drive cog applies pressure? Build a internal steel bridge?

Those aluminum cleats are no longer available we have thought about producing
Them but the demand is not there to justify the tooling costs. The last time they
We're available they were over 100.00 ea.

swixb

update...the Skidozer is up and running. Plan on keeping it in Montezuma CO this winter to run up to "Little Alaska" a nice ridge to hit some deep Colorado powder.
I insalled a pusher fan for the main radiator and mounted the trans and rear diff coolers in the tub with their own dual fans. figure that aught to keep it cool. I also installed factory EFI on the 460, now it will run at 7-12k and keep the proper fuel/air ratios.

Birch Boy

Great news. I look forward to seeing some pics of the finished product and how it takes to the powder with your track set up. Keep me posted.

undy

Swixb,

Nice Cat!

Montezuma! Below A-Basin and behind Keystone? I lived in Silverthorne for a while, back in the late '80's, and worked at Antlers. We dropped off the top of A-Basin down that way a few times.

So, any chance you ever take riders? I've got a pair of HellBents that have yet to see deep powder. Best they've done is about knee-high at Mt. Bohemia so far. I hope to be in Winter Park (Mary Jane) later this season.

swixb

Yes. Entry fee is a five gal can of gas and a sixpac of good beer. The goal is to run it on Saturdays Feb through April. Will see how it goes. have a few things left to do on it..just takes time and money!

undy

Yes. Entry fee is a five gal can of gas and a sixpac of good beer. The goal is to run it on Saturdays Feb through April. Will see how it goes. have a few things left to do on it..just takes time and money!

Sounds more than fair!

Out of curiosity, is that public land north (I think it's Swan Mt.) open for snowcat use? We used to camp there years ago, but the last time we stopped the camping had been disallowed.

clairpierce

I am building a sv300, doing the same build as you. I would like to know more about how you did your track guide on the inside of the track for sag and is it needed. pics would be great. thanks Clair

swixb

will have my rig home in a week or two, I'll take some pictures. It is basically a set of 3 bogie wheels supported by 2" angle iron giving the mini axles support on both sites, with the wheels holding the inside edge of the track about level. I used ~6" solid rubber wheels from Harbor frt. with bearings & zerks. I chained the guides in place with beefy chain. One does not want one to come loose...it would make a mess of things really fast. I set them on the smoothest inside track surface I could find, so bolts will not hit the wheels. I did not weld them in place...not yet anyway. Pneumatic wheels might ride better, but hard to find small beefy ones with bearings.
I look forward to any pics you can post of your build.

swixb

Looks nice! it was 2 years between when I removed the hydraulic manifold up front and reassembly...can you describe how the joy stick is supposed to function? Moving the handle: front/back = _________blade movement. left /right=_________ and twisting it=_______? My current setup does not seem intuitive...

swixb

Have a hydraulic leak in the valve manifold, appears to leak out from between the bottom two levels, I took it apart and replaced the O rings, but did not solve the leaking...any ideas? Could not see any cracks, did not appear to have water damage.
Cat is ready to go...except for the leak...

Birch Boy

I can't help with the leak as I tend to farm those issues out to others. The T bar style joy stick for the front Hydraulics is pretty simple.... back is up and forward is down and you twist to the right to dip the right side of the blade and to the left to correct the dip. Maybe the hose hook up on the front was incorrect?

Birch Boy

Whoops. Just realized I made a mistake on the joystick.

Back is up
Forward is down
to the right dips the right side
to the left removes the dip on the right side
twist to the right rolls the blade forward
twist to the left rolls the blade back.

:smile:

swixb

update on my 302 HD...gave up on the carb and went full EFI off a 93 Ford F250. works great...well it did till I lost oil pressure...not related to the EFI system, but just kept going back to the trail head. Made it but now the 460 has a tick...so I'm going to put in a Cummins 6bt & Allison 4sp auto combo. It will go a bit slower, but will go forever. I'm also restoring it to full 12', 2 belts per side. the asymmetrical works fine on hard pack, but out in the fluffy it digs on the outside...down hill side and down you go. Cats don't side hill very good anyway...so full width is the ticket. The Cummins will add a bit of wt but not excessive compared to the big block 460 that was in it.
The EFI system and new heads is for sale...computer and all.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you would find a 4b with sme tuning and a Allison 545 would work real well you would have to go with a 1000 with standalone computer for the 6 b

swixb

6bt's are more common, thus less expensive. I already bought the motor. 93 with turbo, complety mechanical, trying to keep it as simple as possable. Less to go wrong. The Allison is a 545 out of a school bus. Low first gear. Will need to mount a pull your on the drive shafts to run the difference oil pump, as the C6 had it built into the tail. If anyone needs the C6 let me know it works just fine.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
caution n the 545 I talked with an allison professional once about a 545 that trans was never intended to have 400 ft pounds of torque applied against it the 1544 used behind the cat in the a3 duce is barely rated for the kind of torque the 3116 can make and as such hasn't had a great track record that is why I suggested the 4-b over the 6-b