• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Polaris Rangers on Tracks?

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Dave,

Your comments vis a vis Polaris are interesting.

I've had several Polaris RMK's / Dragons which have been really great sleds. What's impressive to me is how much better they get with each new "generation".

If you pm me your email address I'll be glad to send you a bunch of photos of the cab conversion we did on the Tucker.

I think by far the hardest part was the roof. We removed the original two door roof and replaced it with one piece of aluminum. The tricky part was rolling/ forming the radius in the roof. My friend Scott devised a way to do that and it worked great, but it wasn't easy to get the radius right and in exactly the right location. He is a genius!

Wow, just catching this post now. I will shoot a pm out right away with my e-mail I'd love to see pictures of that project!!

torovision

NORTHSTAR POLARIS RANGER (aka POWER RANGER)

Attachments

• PA190130.jpg
    PA190130.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,837

fubar

Just found this thread, so am very behind in responding, but anyways....
I have a Ranger 6x6 and a Thiokol Spryte.
Very differnt machines, of course.
I have tracks for my Ranger, they are simple tracks that wrap around the rear tires and work very very well....but it ain't no sno cat.
We use our Ranger for Ice fishing and running trails all the time, great fun, would never get ride of it.
BUT,
I would never try to break trail at all in any way shape or fashion. We have tried Camoplast/Mattrack type of tracks, way too expensive for me, and way too many moving parts, but they did work better in virgin snow than the simple tracks we have now, as long as they last!!! The camoplast track are more difficult to put on and off, and wear out rapidly compared to the tracks I have now. I run wheel penetration skis on the front in the winter and just wheels in the front in the summer.
\
Scotty/KL1YO

Last edited:

vtmtnbob

I've run the Ranger in snow so deep that it was pushing up the hood and onto the windshield.

polaris tracks or matt tracks? my ranger had polaris tracks and a heavy cab (rops) and i always got stuck. (i have yet to get my st stuck :) i have heard other people with matt tracks (which also come in a more wider aggressive deep snow version) go through deep snow without any problem.

twilambaker

As an owner of a 2010 Polaris Ranger EXP EPS with tracks, I can say that I am now buying a snowcat! I have had that thing stuck so many times that my winch rope wore out and I've broke 4 shovels. Along with that, you will go through both tie rods and cv joints/boots like changing underwear. We finally beefed up the entire front end just to keep from bending the rods, and invested in aftermarket heavier duty cv joints. Along with those issues, the machine has spent a lot of time in repair; in 2 years we have replaced the pumpkin, 3 clutch belts, 5 cv joints, & tie rods 3-4 times.
If you plan to take it into the backcountry and really rely on it to get you back out, take a full tool kit, an extra clutch belt, an extra cv joint kit-and a pair of snowshoes!
AS a side note, we are in very mountainous country, but we also maintain our rigs and treat them very well. But the Ranger we have to baby to keep it running and on the trail. Great machine for around the place and light duty work, or even just driving on good roads and trails, but not for serious back country work.

ccrob

Just thought I would add these pictures. Our crew does fairly well as long as you keep it on the trails. I wouldn't expect much out of it in off trail situations. Now if you had some much wider tracks made, that could be a different story. One thing that I see it needs ASAP is a clutch kit.

3752917_orig.jpg

3925448_orig.jpg

63ssrev

Has anyone tracked the Diesel Ranger?

Does anyone know what this sytem is? From the Polaris Diesel Ranger webpage: Transmission/Final Drive - Automatic PVT H/L/N/R; Shaft?

Doesn't look like the same CVT belt drive the gas rangers have???

After a quick Google of Polaris PVT I guess it is the same belt drive system. Too bad I kind of had my hopes up they went to something more robust.

Last edited: