• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How far can a snowcat go on 1/2 a tank of gas?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I went out today in the fresh snow. We got 12" of snow Tuesday/Wednesday. Got 3" more last night. So I figured I go out exploring. I was out for a couple of hours, drove to places that I had never been to, even got lost (and was thankful that I had the GPS to let me know where the river was so I could orient myself). All in all I was having a great time, and like I said I was out for a couple of hours playing.

Here are some photos.:letitsnow:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 186

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A few more photo of the ride. You can see it was near sunset so I tried to even be a little artistic with the photos :5boobs:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 180

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:snow2_smi: But as much fun as I had driving around, inspecting some ponds, following game trails to scout out potential hunting grounds. . .

I did find out one thing. . .
A 1/2 of tank of gas will take you a long way from home, but it won't bring you all the way back!:oops:

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 180

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
One more reason to fill the machine every time you are finished using it.. Just like a tractor, you never know what you are going to be doing when it runs out.... I would also suggest a 5 gallon Gerry can mounted on the outside.... Like a good Boy Scout....... be prepared...

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BOB those are some beautiful pictures. :thumb: Now that you are getting some real cold weather I would suggest topping off you tank every night to keep condensation out of her. BUT you need to find the sweet spot to fill her up to. As you know gas expands when it gets warmer. I have found that after each run when I topped her off if I didnt head out the next morning and she sat in the sun then the gas would warm up and slowly start to leak. Not great for the paint or anything for that matter. Nice pictures! :respect:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea well you guys are stating the obvious. I certainly never figured that I would have been out as long as I was, nor drive as far as I did. I also didn't have any fuel to top off the tank so the Snow Trac is still sitting in the field, alone and lonely, in the dark. The good news is that I was only about a 1/4 mile from the road, and it was only another 1/2 mile down the road to my house. It could have been a lot worse, I was several miles from home and a long way from any sort of a road 30 minutes before I ran out of gas. I was actually heading home and drove past the house along the river to come up to the house from the road instead of up the back way through the field. I would have made it if I had taken the shorter route.

Tomorrow I will fill up the gas cans and attempt a rescue.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 003a.jpg
    003a.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 174

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
...so the Snow Trac is still sitting in the field, alone and lonely, in the dark.

I'm gonna git me a Snow Trac tonight! Yeeee Haaaa! :drive2:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
I'm gonna git me a Snow Trac tonight! Yeeee Haaaa! :drive2:

TOO LATE!

It's already in my barn

I'm not sure what Bob's problem was. Had plenty of gas. I just pushed the choke thingy in a little and it started and I drove onto the trailer.

Jim

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob
You finally had the time to take some great pics after the gas run out. :thumb: I would just keep going and forget the pics as long as the snow cat was running and the snow was that good. I think you have more and better snow than I have at 8500 foot elevation in the mountains. The wind just blew what little we had to Indiana. :yum: :letitsnow:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
It is not fair, I have no snow - and now no top on the snowtrac, it would still go out and play if only I had some snow...............

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anita, after Wednesday of this week you can have all my snow. Thursday I go in for some minor surgery on the bottom of my foot. I will be unable to walk, let alone shift gears in the Snow Trac for a week. After one week they said I'll be on crutches for 6 to 8 weeks.

As for the saga of my idiocy of not filling the fuel tank, that is thankfully over and my little Snow Trac is back in its garage with the other toys.

I picked up some fresh fuel last night, carried it out to the stuck little weasel, and after a little bit of effort to get the fuel to the engine, it started right up. But I think it is mad at me for leaving it out in the field without a blanket, teddy bear or even a nightlight.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad to hear it's back in the garage, safe and sound.

Re: "How far can a snowcat go on 1/2 a tank of gas?"

I believe the correct answer is "All the way, until it runs out".

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hope she is tucked up nice and warm with her teddy, blanket and a night light and possibly a glass of wine? Hope all goes well with your foot, keep us posted on your progress, we will be thinking of you - and still being jealous of all your snow. By the way haven't you got a fuel guage in that beautiful snowtrac?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Uh, I do have a fuel guage . . . I suppose you want me to actually look at it?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob ,I reposted this for you with a few changes in Red . Enjoy !!

post_old.gif
01-29-2007, 12:50 PM
B_Skurka
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_76630", true);
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt
SSS.gif

reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif
reputation_pos.gif

icon1.gif
Re: Kristi KT7 restoration pictures

Hey Al(Bob), since you are getting close to being done with the Krusty(SnotTrac) I figure that you might be starting to search for some safety gear. Afterall, if that thing actually gets out of your garage and makes it to snow, it probably won't be able to return under its own power.

You'll need a good pair of snow shoes to hike the 37 feet (Half Mile)the Krusty(SnotTrac) slipped (downhill)(Ran out of gas) to get back up to the parking lot(garage). Thought you'd like these :yum:

Attachments

• dino_tracks.jpg
    dino_tracks.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 123

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, I have to give you reputation points for that one!!! :tiphat: But don't you think those dino feet will clash with my short pants and Hawaiian shirts?

If only I could remember how to give those points? :fart2:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BOB I just want you to know that I had NOTHING to do with BigAls post. I never told him to go to page 38 post #749. I had nothing to do with it! Nice shoes by the way Bob. Man its good to be back!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
BOB I just want you to know that I had NOTHING to do with BigAls post. I never told him to go to page 38 post #749. I had nothing to do with it! Nice shoes by the way Bob. Man its good to be back!!
And I sir ,do not know what your talking about ... Thank you ...:yum: :yum:

ALLEN PARSONS

Great photos Bob
I hope mayby to have may 323 looking that good one day If I live that long.
I would like to know how did you superimpose your cat into that cornfield.
Hay I need some snowshoes like that now . Because my cat is up on blocks for the rest of the year. because of some fxxxxxxxxxx kids. I will let you know more in a few days when my blood drops below the boiling point.
I do love that cat of yours Al Job well done

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Love the shoes, perhaps if you wore some like that they might remind you to look at the fuel guage occasionally as they look as though they would pinch to walk for fuel in!