• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How many liters is the v4 in the 1404 Imp?

rodre

It appears that they made a few versions of this engine ranging from 1.2 to 1.7 liters. How many liters is the one Thiokol used in the 1404? Is it the Taunus or Essex v4? I ask because the spec sheet over at Safety One has the 1404 Imp at 80 HP but I didn't see any of the Taunus versions with more than 65 HP. It also has the top speed at 25mph, does that seem correct? What is cruising on a trail speed for a 1404?

On a slightly different note how many HP and torque can the C4 diff and upfront trans in the Imp take? I ask because apparently the v6 cologne has the identical mounting and gearbox linkage patterns and was wondering if this could be a swap?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am away from my v 4 notes.

but the C=4 has also found itself in front of and behind Straight 6's the 201 and thiokol sprytes had them.

not sure what motor the clark loaders had, the C4 is a pretty stout diff.
the 2.8L swap is in a few threads from back in the earlier years of the forums.

The front trans is a T156 and I have beat the hell out of my jeep and scout that had that trans back in my mud dragging days.

Top speed in a 1404 is faster than you will want to travel in a snowcat.

rodre

"Top speed in a 1404 is faster than you will want to travel in a snowcat."

Why is that? for the tracks jumping off at speed, lack of independent suspension, short wheel base, all of the above? What would be a safe speed on say a packed powder trail?

Is the front transmission a Tremec t176? Not really finding anything on Google for t156.

`I hear a lot of talk on these forums that paint the C4 as being a delicate diff and that the OC12 is the way to go, but then you are saying it is pretty stout - I am not doubting you but I am a little confused. What is your experience with the C4? Thanks in advance if you care to elaborate :)

Also, still curious as to which version of the v4 Thiokol used and if it's horsepower is as some say in the 50-60 range or 80 as the spec sheet states.

Last edited: