• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Any Bourbon drinkers among us?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn Bob, first you mock my Midori and now you destroy my belief in what's possibly my favorite late night tipple... Bärenjäger. After reading your post, I did a Google search and you're right, the base is vodka!!!!!

Ah!!! What the heck!!! I love the stuff and don't care. :biggrin::biggrin: I'm sipping one as I write this.

Cheers!!!!!!

Tomorrow I will have to break out the[strike] Drambuie.[/strike]blender, mini umbrellas, and fruit for pina coladas :clap:

FIFY :yum:

As for all the VODKA mixed into my favorite JD 'WINTER JACK' or Evan William's Cider or Wild Turkey American Honey, etc etc etc. I know the truth but I am still a fan of those beverages. Its just a dirty little insider secret.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bought these for Frank to try to butch him up a little after his flirtation with girly drinks, then I found out it's illegal for me to ship booze to Texas so I decided to keep them.

The Parker's Heritage is (I believe) the 7th edition, this one dedicated to finding a cure for A.L.S. and is named Promise of Hope. Expensive, but has gotten quite a few good reviews. The other is a bottle of semi-rare STAGG JR. Its a barrel proof bourbon, and known for really bold flavors. Never had it. I'm game to try anything.

imagejpg1_zps3c272d31.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Back to the economy bottles (under $50). I picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Signature Craft that was aged in SHERRY CASKS.

NOT A FULL REVIEW, but an initial impression.

Not really a fan of Beam branded products but this one is pretty good, and only $39 at my local shop. Its smooth sipping, very little burn, easy to enjoy neat, nice flavors.

To the nose you are first hit with alcohol, but then get a nice whiff of butter scotch sweetness.

The front of the mouth taste is actually fairly unremarkable, it goes past the front of your tongue without making much impact, very little 'tingle' from the alcohol, but when it hits the back of your mouth and sides of your tongue and its not like a normal bourbon flavor, you get that SHERRY flavor mixed with bourbon. I suspect that some people, bourbon purists perhaps, will hate this. I rather liked it. It finished warm, not hot, and the finish lingered in your mouth, for the most part, in a pleasant way. There is a bit of ascerbic sensation that is not overly pleasant but it goes away quickly and unless you dwell upon it it can be ignored.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
OK, Skurka, I've finally got you figured out!!!! :brows:

As I sit here sipping my "Original Trader Vic's Macadamia Nut Liqueur" it came to me and it all suddenly made sense.

Over in the Prepper Thread a long time ago we were talking about our preparations and how seriously we wanted to get involved in the Doomsday scenario. It's obvious that your plan, when the the S does HTF, is to get drunk and stay drunk for the duration. After the event, whatever it may be, you'll emerge from your drunken haze muttering "Whatzupp and whatzappenin' bro'". :yum::yum: "Has anyone seen the the lovely Mrs Bob?"

Seriously, I may never become a Bourbon drinker but I do love your reviews. Now stop giving me a hard time time about me and my ladies drinks. :biggrin::biggrin: I am secure in my masculinity ... I think???

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, Skurka, I've finally got you figured out!!!! :brows:

As I sit here sipping my "Original Trader Vic's Macadamia Nut Liqueur"

... Now stop giving me a hard time time about me and my ladies drinks. :biggrin::biggrin: I am secure in my masculinity ... I think???

With passion fruit and a tiny umbrella:whistling:

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I know I'm late to this party and I've been trying to catch up. You've got me wanting to go to the Class VI store. What is that you say? The Army breaks down its classes of supply into 10 categories. The 6th class of supply is Personal Demand Items. The stores that sell alcohol located on Army bases took the name Class VI store. I work on an Army base and being a retiree I can buy there. I think it is time to go buy some Woodford Reserve or try something new.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bypass the regular Woodford Reserve and buy something that is a limited production run. Woodford Reserve makes a MASTERS COLLECTION where they release something different every year (sometimes a couple times a year).

Jim Beam is starting to do a similar thing with their SIGNATURE CRAFT releases.

Col. E.H.Taylor releases a new one every once in a while, they are worth trying.

There are now quite literally dozens and dozens of craft brands too.

With the exception of regular Makers Mark, I generally have been buying oddball brands, limited run productions, etc.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jefferson's OCEAN Voyage 2, probably the best bourbon in the world.
Jefferson's OCEAN Voyage 3, its drinkable, but sharp, more like a rye, not outstanding like Voyage 2.
Jefferson's OCEAN Voyage 4, almost as good as Voyage 2, simply outstanding.

Life can get worse than having to choose between these 3 bourbons.

Attachments

• 10960218_768607946561191_8033169098926799234_o.jpg
    10960218_768607946561191_8033169098926799234_o.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 74

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. I had to go searching to find the price on Jefferson's Ocean Voyage 2 but had a rough time. I found a review for what I'll guess is Jeffersons's Ocean Voyage 1. It did not rank high in this bloggers opinion, posted in 2012:
http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2012/11/bon-voyage-jeffersons-ocean-aged.html

Sunday, November 11, 2012
Bon Voyage: Jefferson's Ocean Aged

The story of Jefferson's Ocean Aged is one of the more curious bourbon stories of the year. It started out with a slightly gimmicky release by McLain & Kyne, makers of the Jefferson line of bourbon. They took a sourced Kentucky bourbon and aged it at sea, in the hull of a ship, for four years. The theory was that the bourbon would slosh around at sea, getting more contact with the barrel. This is not an entirely original concept, having already been done with Kelt Cognac. They originally announced that they would release 600 bottles at $90 each.

Well, apparently some of the bourbon disappeared at sea. There would be fewer bottles and they would cost more like $200. The allocation to retailers was cut way back. As a result, one retailer, K&L here in California put the bottle on auction. Shockingly, it sold for over $1,000. You read that right, a current bottling that was originally priced at $90 went for over $1,000 at auction. As I remarked at the time, this, more than any single event, marks the end of the golden age of whiskey and portends the crash.

To their credit, K&L gave the proceeds to charity, but what about the bourbon? Could it possibly be worth that amount? Lucky for me, I was able to taste some that was acquired for a far lesser amount.

Jefferson's Ocean Aged, 41.15% abv ($1,000?)

The nose has a nice spicy characteristic, but the palate is a bit flat. There is banana and some spice that trails into the finish. Not unlike the standard Jefferson's bourbon, this is a decent but totally unexceptional bourbon. There's just not much to it.

Having tried this, I'm even more shocked that it could sell for a ridiculously high price. This is a totally average bourbon. We are truly living in whiskey bubble which may be close to popping, and this is the pets.com of bourbon.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Voyage 1 is long gone, too few bottles to distribute. I never even heard of OCEAN until just about the time of the release of Voyage 2.

Voyage 1 was aged for too long on a ship. They took "white dog" and barreled it and left it on the ship for 4 years.

All the voyages since then they have taken already aged bourbon (roughly 7 to 8 years) and moved the casks onto a ship for roughly 4 months. 4 months seems to be the standard time that other bourbon makers use for 2nd againing too. Long enough to pick up hints of flavor, not so long as to overwhelm the base bourbon.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wife sent me to the hardware store to buy some paint rollers and some primer.

I got these too!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 117

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sipping the HIGH WEST AMERICAN PRAIRIE RESERVE bourbon. A bit over $50 a bottle and outstanding flavor.

Umberto

Wife sent me to the hardware store to buy some paint rollers and some primer.

I got these too!

How do you like the High West? We were in Park City last week and bought a 6 pack of Bourye 5 year old to give out for birthday gifts to all our February birthday friends and bought 2 bottle's of the older Bourye for ourselves. I had a dram the other night and it's quite good but for what we paid, it will be savoured and never see an ice cube or set up.

That must be a full service hardware store.

Cheers, BJ

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I understand the "American Prairie Reserve" has just been discontinued.

I've heard really great things about about the Bourye too.

As for prices, due to state alcohol taxes, prices will vary state to state.

I've only sipped on an extra large shot of the APR and I really really enjoyed it.

Umberto

I know the distiller does a lot of experimenting with different recipes and styles. I've not had an off bottle of anything he makes to include the vodka. His vodka is much better than his classmate from Pemberton.

My son is a chef in Park City and recently made a chocolate using HW in the recipe. The word is the distiller wants to talk to him (but has yet to do so). We tried the HW chocolates sold by HW and they were not that good.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was involved in chocolate sales for my entire professional life, I have to tell you that making good chocolate is like making good bourbon. Its part science, part art.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good day today.

1. Girl Scout Cookies . . .
  2. High West American Prairie Reserve (this is a back up bottle because this is a discontinued product that is a VERY good bourbon so I snagged another before its all gone)
  3. STAGG Jr (another back up bottle because this is pretty hard to find)
    [*]Weller 12 ~ wished I could have gotten more!
    [*]Noah's Mill

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 93

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
image.jpg1_zps9hvaesbp.jpg

Tried a bit of this tonight but I can't tell you how it tastes.

Before sipping this I happened to eat a bowl of Lime-Chili Shrimp Soup. It was hot & spicy and it burned my taste buds and the spice in the soup opened them up. So when I took a sip of the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel it just gave me a whole new definition to the term SPICY.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Today it was 5-O'Clock somewhere, and that somewhere was the backroom of the cigar lounge about 11am this mornging.

Noah's Mill is outstanding.

That is the better batch, the 13 year old version. I have Noah's Mill at home, it no longer claims to be that old. Still good stuff. But that version of the Noah's Mill is considered the best. We may need to try a head-to-head taste test between the 2 versions someday.

In that lineup there was:
JIM BEAM 12yr Signature Craft + JIM BEAM 12yr Signature Craft Sherry Aged
Breckenridge Bourbon
Noah's Mill
JEFFERSON'S + JEFFERSON'S OCEAN Voyage 3​

I'd say that the Beam "Sherry" was preferred over the regular Beam.

I'd say that most of us thought the Voyage 3 was underwhelming for the high price, but the regular Jefferson's a great value for the price.

Noah's Mill was everyone's favorite. It was also the boldest flavor, by far.

And while Breckenridge was ranked by some panel as one of the Top 3 bourbons in the world, I don't think anyone was overwhelmed by it. Its good, and it is a good value at about $35, but its not something that people would go out of their way to find. If you see it you may want to buy it. But if you go out searching for it you are probably wasting gas money.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Stopped at the local liquor establishment tonight on the way home from the fencing club and bought a bottle of George Dickel Barrel Select. About $35. So moderately priced. Its a "Tennessee Whiskey" rather than a "Bourbon" but the distinction between the 2 is just in the name. George Dickel, just like Jack Daniels, meet the legal definition of BOURBON, but neither claims to be a bourbon.

Cracked it open and it has a wonderful aroma with a hint of spice and a waft of vanilla. I've heard good things about Dickle so I bought this on a whim because they didn't have a new release I was looking for. I think its a keeper after trying it. It is smooth, but hot on the finish. The hot finish burns a bit in the belly but not for too long. A bit hotter than I prefer and lasts a bit longer than I'd prefer, but I'm sure a single ice cube could tame it nicely.

For $35 it is a nice addition.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 79

Umberto

I'll have to get that. I'm a George Dickel fan.

I chuckle every time I watch Star Trek and Sulu says he's a fencer and the look Kirk gives him.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll have to get that. I'm a George Dickel fan.

I chuckle every time I watch Star Trek and Sulu says he's a fencer and the look Kirk gives him.
If you like Gentleman Jack then I think you will like this Dickel Barrel Select.

I've seen the Dickel 8 year and the Dickel 12 year before, in fact those are widely distributed and very modestly priced. They are also well respected but I'd never had any of the Dickel products before. When I saw this version I figured I'd give it a try. Its pretty good stuff, but more like G.Jack than some of the other bourbons that I sip. At $35 a bottle I'd rate this a quality bargain buy. I'd personally prefer Makers Mark, which is cheaper, as my all time "go to" bargain buy, but I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they chose Dickel Barrel Select.

And yes, Sula as a fencer is a bizarre thing. Especially the photos of him in his later years recreating the scene :unsure:

Umberto

Oh, no. I was talking about the new Sulu. I don't think George knows what a real sword is let alone a foil.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, no. I was talking about the new Sulu. I don't think George knows what a real sword is let alone a foil.

Actually George was apparently a fencer, it was then written into the script.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Searching for 3 bottle right now:

Jeffeerson's Manhatten: Its just a pre-mixed Manhatten cocktail

Col. E.H.Taylor "Cured Oak": A limited release from Taylor

I.W. Harper 15 Year: New from Diagio, its a re-entry to the US market, but this time instead of being a bottom shelf bargain brand, they are bringing it out in 2 versions, a mid-priced -$40- bottle, and an ultra-premium 15 year @ $75.00

Umberto

What about Buffalo Trace? I have a bottle I've never opened - suppose I should find out.

I never did give out those bottles of High West and will drink them myself.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Buffalo Trace is a fine low priced bourbon. In the same price range there are 2 that I think are much better. But its all personal preference. I much prefer MAKERS MARK or EAGLE RARE 10yr to BUFFALO TRACE. All 3 are under $30/bottle. To my taste the Buffalo Trace is pretty thin on flavor, but I know others who say the same about MAKERS MARK.