• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Germans seek asylum so they can homeschool

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not a big fan of homeschooling. Perhaps because I know little about it. I do know of one family that does it and their kids are very bright and well adjusted, but somehow I am generally worried that home schooled kids might be missing out on socialization and childhood interactions. Still, despite my personal misgivings, I can't imagine persecuting families that choose to do it. Apparently Germany is becoming openly hostile to the families who home school.

I do believe it should be legal. Anyone have any experiences with it, know people who do it, or thoughts on it? Apparently in Germany they can take your kids away if you homeschool!?!

German Homeschooling Family Applies for Asylum in US
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/nov/08111805.html

PURCELLVILLE, Virginia, Nov. 18, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A homeschooling family who recently fled Germany has filed for political asylum in the United States.

Uwe and Hannelore Romeike formerly of Bissingen, Germany, along with their five children made it to the United States in August of this year. The family has settled in Eastern Tennessee where they have been warmly welcomed by local homeschool supporters and are being assisted by the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA).

"The persecution of homeschoolers in Germany has dramatically intensified," said HSLDA staff attorney Michael P. Donnelly. "They are regularly fined thousands of dollars, sent to prison, or have the custody of their children taken away simply because they choose to home educate."

Uwe Romeike, a music teacher, and his wife Hannelore, say they are grateful for the support they have received from HSLDA and American homeschoolers.

"The freedom we have to homeschool our children in Tennessee is wonderful. We don't have to worry about looking over our shoulder anymore, wondering when the youth welfare officials will come or how much money we have to pay in fines," said Mrs. Romeike.

"We have received so much love and support," said Mr. Romeike. "Our children are no longer homesick. They are so happy to be homeschooled here. We left family members, our home, and a wonderful community in Germany, but the well-being of our children made it necessary."

"By supporting a political asylum application we will be able to shine the light of truth on this real and ongoing problem,” said Michael Donnelly. “A successful application will provide a path to safety for German homeschool families escaping persecution."

HSLDA, with support from the Alliance Defense Fund, has hired immigration attorney Will Humble of Houston, Texas to handle this groundbreaking case.

For more information about Germany's persecution of homeschoolers, visit http://www.hslda.org/germany.

See related LifeSiteNews.com coverage:

The Saga Continues: Previously Tolerant German State Declares War on Home-schooling
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2006/dec/06122201.html

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm not a big fan of homeschooling. Perhaps because I know little about it. I do know of one family that does it and their kids are very bright and well adjusted, but somehow I am generally worried that home schooled kids might be missing out on socialization and childhood interactions.

Being involved with the private schools here in our town I found that the home schooled children were involved as much as the private and public schools. These kids were part of the sports programs, drama, art classes and everything with the private schools. They are just as much involved as the private schools kids.

However, our great public school has done everything they can to keep the private and home schoolers away from their schools.:bb:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Years ago Bob, we (the ex and I) were good friends of a large Catholic family who home schooled their kids.
16, yes 16 kids lol
They were all very well adjusted.
For a while I'd considered doing the same,but glad I didn't for personal reasons, one being.. it wouldn't have worked since at that time I was working 12 hrs at the hospital, and trying to be model Mommy and wifey and being there for my family.
There simply wouldn't have been time to devote to it.
I suppose I felt like I wanted Jeff and Ty to be out in the world and experience everything amid the usual peer pressures and such, plus going to Mass and attending all the functions with the other kiddos during the week.

BoneheadNW

My boys are both home schooled. In addition to their home school lessons (generally lasting from 0800 to 1300) they go to "home school school" two days a week, which is a program set up by our public school system for teaching things such as art, music, drama, etc to the home school kids. They also play sports, take violin lessons, swim lessons, and go to various clubs (robot club, book club, etc). No lack of socialization here.
Bone

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So Bone, just curious, and obviously not within the realm of the German experience where they actively cause problems for home schoolers, but do you as a parent get a lot of questions like "do you think its wise" on up through the "are you a cult" types of inquiries?

The one family I know that home schools is a very normal, very successful family. Father is a respected doctor. Kids are in the fencing club with my daughter.

The general chit chat I hear by NON-home school families is that home schoolers are religious zealots or governmental separatists or some sort of cultists. Obviously that is not the case with the family I know. But I have to question what others actually ask you and if they treat your family differently because your choice was to home school?

k-dog

My cousin homeschools their kids and I wouldn't called them religious zealots but they are on the religious side. They actually interact on a frequent basis with other homeschool kids.

I'm not a big fan of homeschooling or private schools because I think that limits the kids interactions with people of all walks of life. Kids need to learn how to deal with kids from all walks of life because they are going to have to deal with them sooner or later. My cousin's daughter is 16 years old and she is not nearly "street savy" as my 12 year old daughter. I remember when I was in school when a kid came to our school from a private school, they were usually smarter than most of the kids but they had problems interacting with kids that were not on their level in aspects of life (politically correct terminology).

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Socialization is knowing how to act appropriately in various situations and is best taught (and demonstrated) by adults who care about the child. My children were well socialized when I sent them off to public school. The good manners I worked to instill in them in their early years quickly degenerated. I began having to prompt them "Yes, what?" eyes rolling in response "ma'am" ...." what do you say?" more eyes rolling and a grudging "thank you". These behaviors were rote when they went to school and out the window afterward. Homeschooled children are probably more adept at social skills than their public school peers.
What kind of socialization occurs when 20 or 30 kids of the same age are placed in a classroom together day after day? Peer pressure is enormous. Kids feel like they need to look and sound and be like everyone else, at the risk of forgetting or never discovering who they really are. This results in rivalry, ridicule, and competition - hardly the environment for healthy socialization.
I doubt you will see homeschoolers walking around with tattoos, body piercings and gauges in their ear lobes. I doubt the goth look makes its way into the homeschool as these children don't feel the need to "fit in" or to "be different". Homeschool children have a lot of exposure to the "real" world. More so than public school kids who sit in a classroom exposed only to their peer group and seeking the approval of that peer group.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I too am not a fan of home schooling. I have known parents that home school and kids that were home schooled. Social interaction with other kids was a common issue. These kids did not have the "home school schools" and such to go to. Most of these families were of the religious zealot persuasion also. CG makes some good points about them learning to interact properly at home. The home school kids that had a hard time interacting in society often had parents the same way. I had never looked at it quite like that.:unsure: I had always kinda blamed the home schooling, but it was probably more the parents than the home schooling.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My kids are all through school but if we had it to do over again I would strongly consider home schooling. Especially with the kids being able to play sports and get music and drama classes at school. Sounds like the best of both worlds. Of course one of the parents have to be available for home schooling. In two income homes that could be a real challenge.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
My kids are all through school but if we had it to do over again I would strongly consider home schooling. Especially with the kids being able to play sports and get music and drama classes at school. Sounds like the best of both worlds. Of course one of the parents have to be available for home schooling. In two income homes that could be a real challenge.
Exactly why I didn't do it.

BoneheadNW

Socialization is knowing how to act appropriately in various situations and is best taught (and demonstrated) by adults who care about the child. My children were well socialized when I sent them off to public school. The good manners I worked to instill in them in their early years quickly degenerated. I began having to prompt them "Yes, what?" eyes rolling in response "ma'am" ...." what do you say?" more eyes rolling and a grudging "thank you". These behaviors were rote when they went to school and out the window afterward. Homeschooled children are probably more adept at social skills than their public school peers.
What kind of socialization occurs when 20 or 30 kids of the same age are placed in a classroom together day after day? Peer pressure is enormous. Kids feel like they need to look and sound and be like everyone else, at the risk of forgetting or never discovering who they really are. This results in rivalry, ridicule, and competition - hardly the environment for healthy socialization.
I doubt you will see homeschoolers walking around with tattoos, body piercings and gauges in their ear lobes. I doubt the goth look makes its way into the homeschool as these children don't feel the need to "fit in" or to "be different". Homeschool children have a lot of exposure to the "real" world. More so than public school kids who sit in a classroom exposed only to their peer group and seeking the approval of that peer group.

There is no way I could ever have explained our home school experience that well! Great job (I gave you points too)!

Here is my take on our experience. There are families here that home school for religious reasons, usually large Catholic families. There are families (such as mine) where one parent is very patient, intelligent, and a great teacher (my wife) who believe that they can do a better job than the schools. There are families with special needs children (ADHD, Aspergers, etc) who feel that they would be better suited to teach their child than some stranger. These are the kids that my children interact with at the home school school. From my experience as a child in the public school system, many of these kids would have been ridiculed, bullied, etc. I have seen none of that here, but who knows if that is typical.

To answer Bob's question, there are some people who question us about our choice to home school, including my parents (in the beginning). Once they see that my kids do not suffer from the lack of a daily public school routine and that they are really getting a very good education, they usually back off. Once again, I can not say that all home schoolers are the same, just the families we interact with here.
Bone

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I stand by my solution to the Mexicans. Only chicks and they MUST be more attractive than a 5.9 out of a 10. :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is an update to the German story.

Maybe I am clueless, but I can't believe the power of the German government in a case like this. I'd hope that if something like this was attempted by the US government, in a case that seems like the family is sound and the kids are sound, that the whole of the citizenry would be outraged and the US courts/schools would see protests beyond anything we've ever seen. As I said, I'm not a big fan of home schooling, perhaps because I know so little about it, but the German system is out of control!!!

German Court Orders Children to Be Returned to Homeschooling Family against State Advice
The court handed down the order on condition that the children are enrolled in state schools
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/nov/08112004.html
By Hilary White

November 20, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) – A Family Court judge in Germany has ruled that the children of a homeschooling family should be returned to the parental home on the condition that their school-aged children be enrolled in a state-approved school and the three-year-old in a “playgroup” for “socialization outside the family.” The Homeschool Legal Defence Association (HSLDA) reports that the decision of the judge was handed down against the recommendations of state officials who wanted to “keep an eye” on the family.

The Gorber children had been removed from the family home in January by officials of the Jugendamt, the German Youth Welfare Authority, because the family was homeschooling, a crime that has remained on the books in Germany since the Nazi period.

The HSLDA notes, “Homeschooling parents in Germany face these types of repercussions on a regular basis.” The Gorbers have homeschooled all of their children over the past 15 years. In January, youth welfare officers arrived at the Gorbers’ home in cars and vans to take all the minor children without any notice or hearing. The children were placed in state orphanages until August, when a court allowed a home visit.

In court, when the Jugendamt officials asked the judge for permission to “stay involved to check up on the family,” Mrs. Gorber responded, “Look at the children. If the so-called isolation and relationships ‘only in the family’ is so bad, can you please explain to me, how, after 10 years of homeschooling, they have turned out so well?”

“They are academically on par at their [new] schools. Their teachers are all satisfied with them, and some are even pleased with their work, wishing they had more students like them. Our children have no problems with drugs, alcohol, cigarettes or other addictions which we see with so many children these days. So what do you want to control our kids for?”

The HSLDA reports that the judge expressed his own surprise that the children were doing far better academically and socially than he expected.

Peter Briody, an advocate for the Gorbers, said that their morale had been “significantly boosted” by supportive letters coming from around the world.

“This gradually alleviated the family’s feeling of isolation and suffering and helped to change the climate of the case, putting the Jugendamt on the defensive,” Briody said.

German law requires all children to be placed in state approved schools, a requirement that has resulted in numerous cases of homeschooling children being removed by the state from parental care. In the majority of cases, such families are devout Christians who want a less heavily secularised education for their children, one that does not include the explicit and anti-family state-approved “sex-education.”

In a landmark legal case, started in 2003 at the European Court of Human Rights, a homeschooling parent couple argued on behalf of their children that Germany's compulsory school attendance endangered their children’s religious upbringing. They said specifically that the state-approved sex education clashed with their children’s right, according to the EU’s Charter of Fundamental Rights, that “the State shall respect the right of parents to ensure education and teaching is in conformity with their own religious and philosophical convictions.”

Three years later, the European Court of Human Rights upheld the German ban on homeschooling, stating “parents may not refuse ...[compulsory schooling] on the basis of their convictions.”​