• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How to make Biscuits & Gravy

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Step one:
Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil. I hate doing dishes, so this makes for easy cleanup. I also haven't made fresh biscuits in years, since the store ones in the cardboard tube are pretty darn good.

Step%2001.JPG

Step 2:
Spread the biscuits on the lined baking sheet, and cook per the instructions.

Step%2002.JPG

Step 3:
Place the sausage in a non-stick frying pan. I prefer to use one of the hot (spicy) styles, but you can use the mild if you prefer. I wouldn't recommend any of the flavored styles like the maple syrup, buy go ahead and try them if you are feeling adventurous.

Step%2003.JPG

Step 4:
Cook the sausage on medium-high heat until browned and crumbly.

Step%2004.JPG

Step 5:
Push the sausage to one side of the frying pan. Then tip the pan to allow all the fat to drain to the other side.

Step%2005.JPG

Step 6:
Add three tablespoons of butter to the hot sausage fat and allow them to completely melt.

Step%2006.JPG

Step 7:
When the butter is melted, it will start to foam up a little. Let the foam settle down a bit, this will indicate the melted butter is hot.

Step%2007.JPG

Step 8:
Add four to five heaping spoonfulls of all-purpose flower to the melted fat. Thuroughly stir the flour into the fat and allow to cook for a minute or two. It should be a light brown color.

Step%2008.JPG

Step 9:
You can now set the frying pan back down, and stir everything together again. Let cook for another minute or two. This will get rid of the raw flour tast, and your gravy won't taste like glue.

Step%2009.JPG

Continued.....

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Step 10:
Pour the milk into the frying pan...go slow, it's hot and the milk is cold, so it might splatter. Turn the heat up to high and bring the gravy to a boil.

Step%2010.JPG

Step 11:
While waiting for the gravy to boil, scrape the bottom and sides of the frying pan to remove all the good bits that stuck there while browning the sausage. When the gravy reaches a boil, turn off the heat and let cool. The gravy will get thicker as it cools, and you can't eat it at a full boil anyway!

Step%2011.JPG

Step 12:
The biscuits should be finished baking by the time you have the gravy cooling and thickening.

Step%2012.JPG

Step 13:
EAT!​
Step%2013.JPG

Last edited:

urednecku

Site Supporter
Love the tutorial Dave!!!!!!!!! Reps from me!!!!!!!!
Ought ta take 'em away 'stead o given 'em points, making us haungrrry like that.:furious:

:poke:
But man, don't they look good enough ta eat? Just need some eggs & coffee..:chef:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I like my way just as well...............

Attachments

• commercial250.jpg
    commercial250.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 187

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
oh and thanks Dave, that did make me a tab bit wondering about in the morning.............thinking my way or maybe Golden Corrall

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds and looks good Dave. Thanks for the recipe!!!!!! :thumb:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Yummy! Great post Dave! :chef:

But what is with the teflon? Everyone knows the only real nonstick tool allowed for B&G is cast iron. :poke:

OK each to their own, but a bonus advantage of cast: when you've mastered it on the stove, imagine how the above recipe tastes over an open camp fire on a cool morning with the biscuits in a dutch oven and a pot of coffee on the side......

Now I'm making myself hungry! :doh:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
EXCELLENT POST!!!!!!!!!!!! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Thanks for the photos and step by step! Im going to do this! I just have to buy some biscuits.

(reps for you BTW)

I have to watch my cholesterol soooo.....
I think Im going to use lean ground beef or turkey... drain the fat but use the butter. Also at the end I might toss in some frozen peas or some type of vegi.

American Woman

Site Supporter
Sushi, it's not sausage gravy by the time your done with it. :yum:
I bought sausage at the store today just to make this for the second time :yum:

Last edited:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
BIMP!

I just made this again today for breakfast....just got me wondering if anyone has tried it yet?

T-nut? You were the one asking for a recipe. Have you made this yet?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
or there's the lazy way...
go to Sam's club.
buy a flat of premade biscuits and a #10 can of sausage gravy.
go home
heat gravy in crock pot - don't forget to add more cracked (or coarse ground) black pepper.
split biscuits and smother in hot gravy.
nuke 10-15 seconds if you must have a hot biscuit under the gravy.

this works especially well for breakfast potluck at the office.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
we have Burger Kings here, they have even better of this than cracker barrell........................and much cheaper. 1.39 for a plate of them. 2 big biscuits, and so much GREAT gravy.................

princess

Dang it Dave!!! Now I'm hungry! :chef::doh: ....rback should earn his keep and cook me some breakfast :shifty::punk:

Hip Hip Hooray! HAIL TO THE REDSKINS baby!!!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dang it Dave!!! Now I'm hungry! :chef::doh: ....rback should earn his keep and cook me some breakfast :shifty::punk:

Hip Hip Hooray! HAIL TO THE REDSKINS baby!!!

That is one thing that my kids will always remember is that on Saturday mornings dad always cooked breakfast for everyone. Now that the kids are gone my wife and I just kind of do breakfast together.

murph

princess

That is one thing that my kids will always remember is that on Saturday mornings dad always cooked breakfast for everyone. Now that the kids are gone my wife and I just kind of do breakfast together.

murph

Thats a nice memory for your family!!! Its the little things that come up big in the long term.

Hip Hip Hooray! HAIL TO THE REDSKINS baby!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
we have Burger Kings here, they have even better of this than cracker barrell........................and much cheaper. 1.39 for a plate of them. 2 big biscuits, and so much GREAT gravy.................

Still, in my opinion, there is nothing like the homeade version. I made this a few days ago and it was fanTASTIC!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Still, in my opinion, there is nothing like the homeade version. I made this a few days ago and it was fanTASTIC!

Thank you Paul. All these people that are buying the pre-made crap just don't know what they are missing. :hammer:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
My Recipe ...

Go to the Elk Creek Station in Elk City Idaho . Order Biscuits & Gravy ..... Prepare to be impressed . Best if you let your belt out a notch before eating.:clap:

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
I love biscuits and gravy but I modify it just slightly. Use half hamburger and half Jimmy Dean hot sausage. When you pour the gravy on the biscuits, add two eggs, over medium, right on top of the pile. Mess Hall SOS. It just don't get no better!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
That little plate would be called an h'or'derve at the Cafe where I eat . If you can still see the plate it ain't a full order !!!:yum:

For Gods sake girl !!!! Were talkin biscuits & gravy here . If it don't have at least two full grown pigs made into sauage in the recipe it ain't worth eatin !!!:w00t2::w00t2::clap::biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to agree with Al on the plate size. Next Saturday if I remember at 4:30 in the morning I will take the camera along and get pics of a BIG oval platter with 2 homemade biscuits and a side order of cubed fried potatoes smothered in sausage gravy. All that and coffee for $7. That is why I don't even bother at home as the wife hates it. It is hard to beat to start your weekend!:biggrin:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm Biscuits nd Gravy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm Biscuits nd Gravy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny this thread should come up. I just got done eating biscuits and gravy for breakfast! (Homemade of course)

(Damn....all the picture links are broken! :mad:)