• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Back issues

dzalphakilo

Banned
Anyone here have any issues with your back?

Usually anytime I go to see a doctor, something is always wrong with me (usually don’t miss anytime for work and I usually don’t have medical issues).

Well, about two weeks ago, helping a guy set a boiler and nothing seemed wrong at the time. Next day, back seems a little sore, but figure it’s me being out of shape. Couple days go by, still sore (hard to get up straight, even very slow getting my socks on). First time in five years figure go see the chiropractor and see if he can do anything. Go in last week, back felt fine when I left (I was having sharp pains in the lower right region of my back, nothing to bad, however it was enough to slow me down).

Well, yesterday, still seem a little sore, but have another appointment with the chiropractor at three in the afternoon. Early morning, take all the dogs out, put them back in, get ready to leave for work, get in the car and I’m not going anywhere (pain).

Call the chiropractor to move the appointment up as soon as possible. Wife takes me in. Have to lie on the floor and wait because I can’t sit. 45 minutes later after being “adjusted” and massage, feel a little better, go to get in the car, and go RIGHT back to the chiropractor because the pain came right back and as sharp as when I first came. Long story short, will go see the chiropractor on Monday for the reason of getting him to order an MRI done (figure it will be quicker than trying to get an appointment with another doctor next week to get something to look at my back which should tell the story). I don’t have faith in this chiropractor now because it seems that you will be “adjusted” until the problem goes away. This happened to my wife last year, and after six months of visiting the chiropractor, she went to go see a back surgeon (same guy who did work on her grandfather with great results). Bottom line, she got operated on, pertaining to her L-5?

On a pain scale, for me it’s 8 out of 10. 7 was putting my dislocated shoulder back in place by myself some time ago, and maybe a 7.5 when my hand was infected and the hospital didn’t catch it for two weeks (after visiting them three times and them telling me they couldn’t find anything until my hand swelled up to the size of a balloon and they had to operate the same day because if they waited any longer, I would of lost the hand).

Bottom line, I ended up crying (being “manly” it was a gentle cry, I don’t bawl or scream:D). Just the the pain was constant and unbearable. This has only happened three times in my life, and the putting the shoulder back in place a couple of times wasn't one of them).

Right now, standing is fine. If I sit, extreme pain, and sitting longer than a couple of minutes, my left leg starts to tingle and go numb. Not in pain all the time, only when I sit, however, it can become excruciating. Last night got two hours of sleep, trying to get comfortable both on the bed and floor.

As I’m typing, I’m kneeling. No pain, but can feel discomfort on a small scale. I’m lucky; half of the work I do can be handled over the phone or computer. I am a workaholic to an extent, and staying perfectly still is very hard for me to do (meaning I can still do work on the computer over the weekend, however, I'm not sure about next week because I do have to go to some job sites which may not be possible).

First thought by the chiropractor is pinched nerve. Anyone have this in the past? How about a slipped disk (not mentioned, however I have heard of this term before pertaining to back trouble).

If it is a pinched nerve or slipped disk, what are your options?

Do the symptoms sound familiar?

I’m not looking for expert medical advice, I will try and obtain that next week, just looking at the possibilities I may face.

I’m the type of person who looks at the worst option first, and prepare for that. Right now, it’s getting an MRI, and perhaps an operation. I may be over reacting, however, at this time; it’s the worst option I can think of to rectify the issue. With the pain, I'm absolute certain something has to be "wrong".

My luck, it’s been raining the last month and the grass needs mowing, and I can’t do it:)

I've heard of back pain and it being an issue, I fully never understood this issue until it now seems to be an issue I'm dealing with.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
slipped disc could be it, have had those in 3 discs.........eventually they came out totally, no surgery, nothing left to work on. Does the pain radiate down your leg? If so could be siatica...............nerve between L5S1 vertebrea...................and one trip or even a years trips to a good Chiropractor will help, but if the disc is out, find a great surgeon.........he is messing with your ability to walk.

Mine does not hurt now, has not in years. There are no discs left, just bone to bone, on L3L4, L4L5 and L5S1, bottom of the spine. The nerves are not working, so no pain. I do not get around like a spring rooster in the hen house though...........never will again.

One thought, NEVER do surgery until you have 2 or 3 surgeons in agreement, and never tell one the others name..........I am over precautious, but I had one of the best in the country tell me that he could operate, not gauranteeing I could walk..............told him no thanks, my tee time was close...............I played golf that day.

There is plenty of knowledge and ways to fix this, but YOU have to be careful...............

dzalphakilo

Banned
Thanks Danny.

One thing I've noticed is I get some uncontrollable mucle twitching in the, sorry for the term, left ass area that works it's way down the leg. Pain does radiate down the leg from time to time with the foot getting "tingly" (again, lack of a better term).

Only concearn with the Chiropractor is that when I went yesterday, the pain came right back once I left the office the second time (in one day).

There is a difference to me between pain and dehabiliting (sp?) pain that makes you want to be still. The pain I had going in was the type that made me immobile, and it was constant that made me want to scream (that pain was not the pain going down my legs, but another which I can't describe).

One reason why I question the Chiropractor is that when I was laying on the floor unable to move, I would of thought at least x-rays would of been in order to actually "see" what was going on. At this point, the Chiropractor only mentioned that it's something I may want done in the future.

I don't consdier myself overly cautious, however, as mentioned before, when I go in because somethings bugging me, something always has been found (like my hand which I almost lost because it took a full blown infection to figure out there was a problem).

With this pain, there is something wrong, no if's, ands or buts.

Gatorboy

I have similar issues with the pain in the back, and sometimes in the ass and down the leg.

I'd say it's a pinched nerve or sciatica. Forget the chiropractor, go to a real doctor. He'll probably subscribe muscle relaxers -- but in the meantime take about 700 mg of ibuprophen.

I've missed about 6 days of work over the past two years because of back issues. If you find a position that feels ok, just stay there for a while. Sometimes the pain just gets so unbearable when sitting, I've got to just fall out of the chair and lay face down on the floor for about 10 minutes before even attempting to figure out a way to get back up. That's always a challenge, that's for sure.

You'll have to be very careful in the future how you lift things, or know when you've done enough manual labor to be safe. Too much and the back pain returns. I'm usually in very bad shape for about 36 hours, then I can slowly get around, walking crooked, but at least I'm not bed/couch ridden.

dzalphakilo

Banned
I've missed about 6 days of work over the past two years because of back issues. If you find a position that feels ok, just stay there for a while. Sometimes the pain just gets so unbearable when sitting, I've got to just fall out of the chair and lay face down on the floor for about 10 minutes before even attempting to figure out a way to get back up. That's always a challenge, that's for sure.

I've found that out. Feeling a lot better today (no REAL pain), and me being me, since my wife was away this morning, thought I'd ride for the newspaper since I got some work done. Big mistake after five minutes.

I'm not used to this.

I'm already putting my body in posistions to figure out what's good or bad. At least nothing hit like the pain that I felt yesterday.

Like yourself, lying either belly down or on my back on the floor helps depending on what the pain is. At this point, no reason at least for myself.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I have similar issues with the pain in the back, and sometimes in the ass and down the leg.

I'd say it's a pinched nerve or sciatica. Forget the chiropractor, go to a real doctor. He'll probably subscribe muscle relaxers -- but in the meantime take about 700 mg of ibuprophen.

You'll have to be very careful in the future how you lift things, or know when you've done enough manual labor to be safe. Too much and the back pain returns. I'm usually in very bad shape for about 36 hours, then I can slowly get around, walking crooked, but at least I'm not bed/couch ridden.

I agree . I have had a fused bad back for 18 years . Try a hot pack 10 mins and then a cold pack for 10 minutes . switch back and forth . Try elevating the legs too . Yep , no doubt that is your sciatica acting up . Man that hurts . When it completely shuts down you legs will be numb . That is worst then the leg pain because that means you nerves are shutting down to mask the pain . Forget the bone doctor and get that MRI done ASAP .