• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Video: 2 Cougars attempt attack on rural jogger (Canada)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure what a 'bear banger' is, but he had one of those. He also had a can of bear spray.

Good thing he had the bear spray, and good thing he got it ready to use.

Follow the link for the video that goes with this story.

Anyone care to tell me what a bear banger is? He was carrying it in his left hand while he filmed on his phone with his left hand. The bear spray is in his right hand.

VIDEO at the link => http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/runner-fends-off-cougars-with-bear-spray-1.3240600

Donny Stone hoped to one day see a cougar in the wild, but not quite like this

The ultra-marathoner's first encounter with the species came while he was out on a 10-kilometre training run Tuesday near his work camp about 100 kilometres southeast of Grande Prairie, Alta.

"I looked up ahead and saw two cougars on the trail, and they saw me and then they moved into the bush," Stone said.

Prepared for such a possibility, the experienced trail runner readied his bear spray in one hand and a bear banger and a mobile phone set to record video in the other.

"So I just carried on and started filming," he said. "I was kind of hoping that I would actually see them. I was thinking more that they would just be hanging out in the bush, watching me go by."

Stone said that's how the wild animals have typically behaved when other ultra-marathoners have encountered them, but it's not how things played out in this case.

'He was on a dead run'

"All of a sudden, I heard the leaves rustle and it was instantaneously that I just spun ... and saw him there," Stone recounted.

"He was on a dead run at me — a dead run, but a low prowl, like almost a ready-to-pounce kind of thing. That's right when I spun and shot him with the spray."

Stone said the blast of bear spray warded the first cougar off but then he noticed the second animal was still walking parallel to him in the bush next to the trail.

Another blast deterred that one too, and both cougars retreated into the forest before Stone made his way back to the work camp.

Cougar populations increasing

Cougar encounters aren't common but it's not unheard of for the animals to get mixed up with humans, according to Mark Boyce, an ecology professor at the University of Alberta.

"It's to be expected given the expanding cougar population," Boyce previously told CBC News. "Also, young males just do strange things and show up in strange places."

Cougars can be found in all parts of Alberta, Boyce noted, and the Cypress Hills in the southeastern part of the province is home to the highest density of cougars in North America.

"In general, they're not dangerous at all," he said. "They're so sneaky that you oftentimes don't know they're there. It's unusual, in fact, that you know one's stalking you or watching you."

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kinda like a blood curdiling scream? :biggrin:

Well if it was cougar coming at me I'd probably scream like a 12 year old girl :unsure:

Is that what you mean?

But I am a big fan of bear spray when I go hiking in the hills/forests of North Carolina. Don't bother with it here in Indiana.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
But I am a big fan of bear spray when I go hiking in the hills/forests of North Carolina. Don't bother with it here in Indiana.

Believe it or not but I had an encounter with a cougar in East Texas. It wasn't a problem, we both left in opposite directions. :biggrin:

We go RV camping in Colorado every summer and people do some stupid things like leaving their kitchen trash outside the dumpsters and not putting it inside and closing the sliding door or leave it sitting outside their RV. It attracts bears. I've seen three in and around campgrounds. I take the dog out after dark and before going to bed. I usually carry a pistol but that's mainly to make me feel better and I'm not sure how effective it would be. I suspect not a lot against a big brown.

Maybe bear spray would be a better alternative. Recommendations??????

Sorry Bob, didn't mean to steal your thread.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There are several brands of bear spray. I have a couple different canisters. The ones I buy spray a "fog" that shoots about 25'

Buy a couple canisters, use 1 for practice. But don't practice on a windy day and make sure you spray it with whatever breeze is blowing, not against it, unless you want to spray yourself.