• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow-Trac Titling?

Anyone ever attempt to get their Snow-Trac titled and road legal?

I just had a chat with an inspector at the local DMV and she said that it can be done, if I can find information from the manufacturer stating that the machine complied with US federal safety standards of the time it was manufactured.

Anyone know if such a thing exists? I know it appears to have been intended for public road use due to the license plate light, turn signals, etc. I figure I'll look through the manual to see if it has any such information. Beyond there, I figured this was the best place to ask.

Not fully sure why I want to obtain a title. I guess maybe just for an additional layer of legitimacy.

PJL

My guess it would depend greatly upon each state. In Washington it could be titled and tagged as an off road vehicle.

jask

Here in B.C. titling is no problem, it is now mandatory for all off road vehicles.
Getting a permit for road use is almost impossible, but under a special permit ( MV1815 ) with a restricted plate you can have limited on road operations, and sometimes have the local police issue a special permit that will allow you restricted operations on low speed roadways, the same way they insure and plate commercial bobcats and forklifts etc.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
snow tracs fall under the same restrictions as farm equipment and heavy equipment such as loaders you can use roads with low speeds for limited times you must have a flashing light and smv triangle. mine is operated all the time on the road. the state of Alaska doesn't title offroad vehicles the to register recreational vehichles.

undy

Anyone ever attempt to get their Snow-Trac titled and road legal?

I just had a chat with an inspector at the local DMV and she said that it can be done, if I can find information from the manufacturer stating that the machine complied with US federal safety standards of the time it was manufactured.

Anyone know if such a thing exists? I know it appears to have been intended for public road use due to the license plate light, turn signals, etc. I figure I'll look through the manual to see if it has any such information. Beyond there, I figured this was the best place to ask.

Not fully sure why I want to obtain a title. I guess maybe just for an additional layer of legitimacy.

First, what year snowcat are you talking about? Then, get that in writing from the DMV. Prior to '68, there were "federal motor vehicle safety standards" (FMVSS). (IIRC, they are found in Title49 US Code?) I'm not sure of any other federal standards, but here in Wis. state law required certain equipment before then. I'd guess AK is similar. So you should check into any older state laws. My guess is, if your cat is pre-'68, any AK equipment requirements will be minimal, like headlamps, tail, brake and directional lights, wipers and defrost, mirrors, etc. Probably a seat belt, if the original vehicle had 'em.

Good luck.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you do it in wa. when you title it and show the purchase price expect to pay a sales tax and other fees.
I had the option to do it with one of my cats and chose not to.