• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Newbie and LMC1200

PJL

November102015
Hello all, new guy here. I work with a large Western Washington Search and Rescue group. We recently acquired a 1989 LMC 1200. Had been used by the US Government. Has a mere 282 hours on the clock. The biggest issue with it, besides the mouse infestation is someone filling the brake cylinders with ATF and ruining all the seals. My shops folks are in the process of getting it squared away. I would like some ideas on operator training and I need a suitable trailer if anyone knows where I can find one in the Puget Sound area that can be acquired or bartered for. Thanks.
IMG_1348.JPG
IMG_1349.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

November102015
November102015
November102015
November102015

Last edited:

GSSD06

Is this Pete? Great to see your snow cat. Jim and I regularly go to radio sites and you are welcome to come along anytime. It works really well to have two or more machines out in case of any issues.
I would highly recommend replacing the steering cylinders with the stainless ones available from Spryte Improvement in Wallace Idaho. I suspect your snow cat has the same differential as my Super Imp, the OC-12.
Bruce

PJL

Good guess. Hello Bruce. It has the newer cylinders but some genius serviced it with ATF. Wrecked the whole system. I'm having the shops fix it. The cat was a real find. :smile:
Once I locate a trailer I can take it out and train with it.

I had actually hoped to get a BV-206. The military is getting rid of theirs. Have seen several dozen on the web in the past year. Most were in pretty rough shape. But because of the goofy way they classify tracked equipment I can't get them.

There is one in Fairbanks, but costs of getting it here would be prohibitive.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you are much better off with the sprite as far as reliability and cost of operation. trust me 17 years with the Alaska national guard working in maintenance I should know. as I remember right looking in my sprite manual the preferred fluid is atf for your steering system mico made the original master cylinders not wagner likely they used wagner castings any way most mico stuff ran hydraulic or mineral type oils.

PJL

Interesting, the manual that came with it states brake fluid and someone even highlighted it. Maybe they mixed the two fluids. Shouldn't be too tough to fix. Very easy to get to the cylinders. I'm still scraping bird droppings off the top and mouse dropping from the interior. Hard little buggers to evict. I'm looking forward to getting it out this winter.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I always thought they should be brake fluid too my 2100 uses hydraulic oil a off the live hydraulics to steer maybe the newer rigs did use brake fluid.

yooperman

I just bought an lmc 1200 also, but mine has all hydraulic steering. It even has an electric hydraulic pump plumbed in as a back up system. Or at least I think that is what it is for.