• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New snowcat ?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
40 k they aren't giving those things away either. ones got to wonder, half the price of a tucker and 1/4 the machine.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
40 k they aren't giving those things away either. ones got to wonder, half the price of a tucker and 1/4 the machine.

Not sure where you can get a new Tucker for 80K? The ones around here are running 160-200k

I have now communicated with the developer machine is in prototype stage
And testing. I do have to give anyone that designs and develops a new machine credit. It takes a lot of work! Most all of the machines we build are custom hydro
Machines used in oil gas and power industries. But there is a need for a small
Cat.

Love to see new beginnings .............good luck.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would like to see it in deep snow and then maybe a kit .
weight is about like a side x side on tracks.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks a bit like an alien baby from a Sci-Fi movie but honestly I think its reasonable. Price, considering its a new machine, doesn't seem bad at all. But for $42,000 you could buy a heck of a nice rebuilt/reconditioned antique. Not sure that 5 gallon fuel capacity is enough, 8 to 10 seems more reasonable. PSI impact on the snow of 0.53 is not too bad. Maybe not a deep powder machine, but certainly good enough for most other snow conditions and locations in many parts of North America never get deep 'powder' snow.

I'd love to see the developer come here and discuss the machine. We are his target market. I'm sure he'd learn a lot from us, and we'd probably learn quite a bit from him.

Can't imagine what it would take to start up a company like that to manufacture a new snow cat, but its got to be one heck of a challenge and probably a huge money pit too. He gets KUDOS from me for doing it and its something that I would certainly like to further explore.

I think his biggest competition would come from Polaris and Kubota equipped RTVs that have Mattracks installed. Honestly I don't know what a Kubota or Polaris with 4 seats and a cab costs, but I'd guess they run about $15 to $18,000...(maybe more???). Add some tracks, which don't come cheap, and figure the weight of the Kubota or Polaris is going to be much higher than the TEMPEST, and it strikes me that the new TEMPEST would be a bit more expensive, but would also be more capable of handling more varied snow conditions because it would likely impart a lower PSI onto the snow than a Kubota/Polaris UTV.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
A picture from the website

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 360

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, looks like an Alien Baby from a Sci-Fi movie.

Kinda cute . . . but it might rip your heart out.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I think if it had a top rotor it would be a baby Bell 47

On second thought if the arc of the cab kept going and made 180 degrees
It would look like a new version Big ALS KT7 with the only difference it's not on a trailer and it runs :yum:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know but it looks like it could be to high of a center of gravity for safety and tree clearance. Lots of wasted vertical space in this machine. My bet is that on a tipping table to test roll over angle it would not fair very well. Not to mention the lack of a ROPD (roll over protection device) and this is a flatlanders machine...

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk, looks like that machine is from Wyoming, plenty of mountains there, trees too, so the lack of a ROPS on a modern machine that is only 6' wide does seem to be an oddity. But we really know little about the machine except what we can glean from the website.

But I kinda like the big glass area for visibility and the fact that there is going to be no way to feel claustrophobic in that cabin.

Notice it has no lights? As this is a prototype I suppose that is not unrealistic. But I'd light that puppy up too.

But for us folks in the greater midwest, and north up through much of the Great Lakes region this could be a great answer to some of our needs. Especially true if the doors come completely off that unit, it would be good in the summer too!

I wonder if there are plans for a front plow in the future? Towing capacity? Carrying capacity? Etc Etc Etc

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think if it had a top rotor it would be a baby Bell 47

It would look like a new version Big ALS KT7 with the only difference it's not on a trailer and it runs :yum:
[Moderator Hat ON]

I think it is unfair to compare any snowcat to BigAl's Krusty. No need to insult the new guy :hammer:

[/Moderator Hat OFF] :whistling:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
[Moderator Hat ON]

I think it is unfair to compare any snowcat to BigAl's Krusty. No need to insult the new guy :hammer:

OK, I forgot Big ALS machine is no comparison it has the technology of the future those imbedded chips that determine if you have had to many rum and cokes as you approach the machine, crap I think that machine of his knows when he is capable of driving and when he's not. And decides when to start. :whistling:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Melensdad said:
Notice it has no lights? As this is a prototype I suppose that is not unrealistic. But I'd light that puppy up too.
Looks to me to have a set of light above the window with the wipers just not real
Noticeable

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cool looking cat, but holy hell, who did the website design and thought that was OK? That black on blue is truly hard / sickening to read.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks to me to have a set of light above the window with the wipers just not real
Noticeable

OK, now I see them.

And I'm not a fan.

I'd like to see a set mounted low so I'm not snowblind in a heavy snowfall at night. Those lights OVER the window will light up all the falling snow in front of the machine. They are great if its only a light snow, or if its not snowing when you are out, but in a heavy snow I strongly prefer lights below the window to light the trail/ground.

But that is an easy fix/modification/add on.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Too high a center of gravity. looks cute.

Now the big issue: Can they make more than 4 of them.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter

[Moderator Hat ON]

OK, I forgot Big ALS machine is no comparison it has the technology of the future those imbedded chips that determine if you have had to many rum and cokes as you approach the machine, crap I think that machine of his knows when he is capable of driving and when he's not. And decides when to start. :whistling:

HEY !!! I got a great idea . Lets talk shit and kick Big Al while he is down and trying to find his marbles .

JERKS:unsure:

Cletis

"Cool looking cat, but holy hell, who did the website design and thought that was OK? That black on blue is truly hard / sickening to read. "

Funny. I was also beat up by a family member about the black on blue! I had the text changed to white. Hopefully that helps to read it.

I also like the "Alien baby"! While designing it, I really wanted something different. The front doors on the cab are great to get in and out of.

I'll pay close attention to the lights while in a real white out condition. During testing early last yr, while running in 2-3 ft of pure sugar powder, the snow really flies. Putting them down low would not be effective in that type of powder conditions.

I'm very, very familiar with ROPS, (maybe too familiar) This particular cab design would pass a ROPS test easily, impo. Although I have not had the cab tested. The production Tempest cab will be similar, looks wise but will change some in actual design.

Thank you for the comments.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter

To me $40 K does not sound that out of line . Many years ago Snowcat Operations and I looked into reintroducing the KT7 with upgrades and our target price was $40 K .
In 1972 my KT7 cost $11K with no upgrades .A basic model .

A brand new machine that is user friendly and carried 4 adults in comfort would be a big seller at $40 -$50 K .
We had planned to target backcountry skiers , hunters, Backcountry homeowners and S&R who needed a snow machine that did not break the bank .
I decided that I was just too damn old to start another company .

Woody_1

Cool looking cat, but holy hell, who did the website design and thought that was OK? That black on blue is truly hard / sickening to read.
Cool looking little thing. Looks to be over priced, as usuall. :yum: Site page really SUCKED!

Woody_1

I would like to see it in deep snow and then maybe a kit .
weight is about like a side x side on tracks.
The tracks look to be alittle wider than some side by sides. But will have its limits. Still an interesting rig. :clap:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you guys are beating up the cab I kind of like it looks like a robinson r44 cabin, which if you can make enough heat to keep the clear stuff frost free will make a nice platform for sight seeing. it just seems a bit high priced for it's size for me. I use mine commercially. so I would have a need to stuff more people in. on the other hand 4 snowmachines up here will cost in excess of 40 k so with seating for 4 looks like a not so bad aeal for an access rig.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
[QUOTE=Cletis;631685
I'm very, very familiar with ROPS, (maybe too familiar) This particular cab design would pass a ROPS test easily, impo. Although I have not had the cab tested. The production Tempest cab will be similar, looks wise but will change some in actual design.

Thank you for the comments.[/QUOTCletis,

Upon a second and third look maybe the CG is lower than I first thought. Do you know the roll over angle yet?? If the cab is tough enough to pass the ROPS tests, that is all you need.

Kudo's for building this. I hope you do very well with it.:flowers:

I will go to your website for some specs. Except there are not any there. So what engine? how does it turn like a tucker? I see it can crab steer as well. Power assist or manual steering gear??

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have two cats a 6500lb and a 2300lb one and the light weight is really appealing to me.
being able to load and dart down the freeway at 70mph is a plus. Tracks look small on it for deep uncut trails.
jim

Cletis

Not sure on the load limit of one of those smaller two wheeled alum snowmobile trailer but at 1700lbs, one of those trls may haul it, which would work very well for smaller tow vehicles.

I'm not the brightest knife in the drawer and one could make a comedy of me in the past while hauling much heavier loads than I should have been (18k mini excavator and 7k tandem dual axle trl) with this load trying to pass me on a slick, steep mountain pass. Had the powerstroke redlining while I was trying to outrun the trailer. Quite the deal and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't done it multiple times over the years. Guess I don't learn very quick!

I didn't want to do this pulling a snow cat through the mts.

The steering is thumb controlled. Very simple, top rocker switch is Frt only, front/rear opposing, front/rear sync. Bottom rocker is turn left and turn right. Throttle is fingertip , works great impo and you don't have to worry about your pacs getting stuck on a accelerator pedal. Manual foot brake.

Engine is a Kohler 40hp. It should be on the site under specs. I'll check to make sure it's showing up.

Thank you

Cletis

Originally, I looked very hard at diesels, but had a very hard time seeing the benefits in a smaller cat application.

Same way with a tip test. I've seen other manufacturers preform these test. In a shop, on concrete with the machine stationary. Hard to see the value.

Years ago I was involved with larger Caterpillar excavator tip test. Very difficult as you can only certify one set of varibles. Very little value as the conditions will never be exactly as when you test

Take into consideration, momentum of machine, snow density, ambient temps, load placement, if secure, tracks, operator input, etc.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
"Cool looking cat, but holy hell, who did the website design and thought that was OK? That black on blue is truly hard / sickening to read. "

Funny. I was also beat up by a family member about the black on blue! I had the text changed to white. Hopefully that helps to read it.

Much, much better. (It really did make me feel queasy trying to read it the other way).:flowers:

The only other web based comment is that when I bring the site up, the home page and the "About" page are overshooting the screen. So anyone accessing it has to drag the lower bar back and forth to read your information.

I can't wait until you put up some more info on it, in particular explaining the steering / crabbing/ offsetting in the pictures. (check that- just saw it in post 25)

Cheers!

Last edited:

Cletis

Thank you. I'm really hoping to go west soon and get into some deeper snow. It will be pure sugar this time of year and should be a ball.

I'm also hoping to get some videos up real soon.