• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

lots of lmc snowcat parts machines auction

brianf

there is a auction on saturday april 24 that has a whole bunch of lmc snowcats up, these are frame cut machines but most can be put back together if you want, western usa auction, if you need parts or a machine or project bid high;or they will all go to a dealer near you, here is some teaser pics,

Attachments

• snowcat auction.jpg
    snowcat auction.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 877
  • dmc cut.jpg
    dmc cut.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 892

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, where's the auction?

I'm glad they are at least auctioning off the machines in some form. I had heard they were going to crush them...

I've heard several different versions of why Qwest is doing this as opposed to selling them as complete (operable) machines:

One version was a Qwest employee was injured in a Sno Cat rollover accident and Qwest decided to get rid of all of their 'cats they felt were dangerous....

Another version is a few years ago Qwest sold a knuckle boom truck at auction. That truck was subsequently re-sold and the purchaser got hurt while operating the unit. Of course he (rather than take some individual responsibility) went to a personal injury attorney who sued Qwest.

As a result of that experience, Qwest doesn't want any liability associated with machinery once they sell it.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, where's the auction?

I'm glad they are at least auctioning off the machines in some form. I had heard they were going to crush them...

I've heard several different versions of why Qwest is doing this as opposed to selling them as complete (operable) machines:

One version was a Qwest employee was injured in a Sno Cat rollover accident and Qwest decided to get rid of all of their 'cats they felt were dangerous....

Another version is a few years ago Qwest sold a knuckle boom truck at auction. That truck was subsequently re-sold and the purchaser got hurt while operating the unit. Of course he (rather than take some individual responsibility) went to a personal injury attorney who sued Qwest.

As a result of that experience, Qwest doesn't want any liability associated with machinery once they sell it.
i've herd 2 different stories as to why bv206's arn't auctioned off anymore one is that some were sold and wound up in afghanistan and used to drive on to an instalation by the badguys i do find that one a little far fetched as i was in iraq and it dosn't matter what you are driving or wearing with out an id card you arn't getting in also when you are off the instalation every one moves in groups i cant imagine a bv206 sliding in to a group of up armord hmmwv's and getting on to an instalation the other story involves several rollover accedents hurting people and personal injury attorneys involved i find that one more plausible why are we the only species that not only protects the weak and stupid but also makes them rich when they do something stupid

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Thank God I do not have to do business with Quest. They have butchered some great equipment.......................:sad:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
If you go here and scroll though the photos, you'll find more pictures:
http://www.reinlandauctions.net/equipauct/trucks/index.htm

It looks like all the cabs are missing and all the machines have been cut ahead of the rear gearbox. By "cut" I mean everything, not just the frame.

My feeling is they will sell very cheap because of the amount of work necessary to restore them to operable condition. If you need a "parts machine" these may be a bargain, but otherwise I'm not so sure.

tomelroy

3rd version of why qwest is destroying the cats....

Camoplast dealer out of colorado convinces qwest that thiokol/dmc/lmc are death traps (no ROP). Qwest determines that they are dangerous because of lack of ROP, but sale pitch is unsuccesfull as Qwest ends up with Pisten Bully Scouts over Camoplast. Qwest Lawyers now advise that machines should not be surplused because of liability from Qwests internal determination they are death traps...

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
like i said back to protecting the dumb and weak also like i told those who wanted to go into the buisness of producing the snow tracs you can't sell something like a snow cat now days with out a ROPS as osha won't alow you to put workers in to it with out seatbelts and ROPS. the funny parts most of the machines out there will slide sideways before they roll.

What a travesty.. I hope these make it to the right hands and not a scrapper for salvage metal. The website posted the below info.
Snow Cats
DMC 1200 Snow Cat, Hour Meter Shows 144
LMC 1500 Snow Cat, Hour Meter Shows 261
7-Thiokol Snow Cats, Low Hours
All Snow Cats Are Being Sold As Parts, No Cabs, Frames Are Cut, No Fuel Tanks.

Hope to see a few of the northwest locals pick these like Pat and Bill:brows:

tomelroy

dmc 1200 8500.00
lmc 1500 5,500.00

other cats ranged from 2500.00 to 3300.00.

Now what i want to know is who got them... I had the perfect cab for the 1200.